I need assistance with a scene

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
images - 2021-11-10T123315.367.jpeg

Hello guy, gals and enby pals.
So I've got this dilemma that I need some input on a scene I'm planning and this will be hard explain, but here goes.

After a village was nearly destroyed and a large number of the citizen lives lost by a neighboring nation.
Two sisters- one older and one younger who have been scorned by the villagers for being the only ones with magical talents, a slime and a large undead saved them.
The citizens thanked them by raining insults and hate on them for bringing the monsters into town stating all manner of bullshit about them. They were now getting close and behaving violently.
The older sister who is not good with handling crowds or large groups of people she's not familiar with orders the younger one to get them to back off, using her words and confidence and if they still persist she'll use her magic to take care of them.
The younger sister agrees to this in order to get then off their backs and focus on rebuilding.

Now here's my problem, I have no idea what the younger sister should say to them to get them to back off and focus on problems at hand instead of them.
Any advice on this will be most appreciated.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Violence usually helps. Not necessarily towards the villagers, but the only way to deal with characters dumbed down for narrative purposes is action. That's usually the intent behind their creation, too.

If you want the younger one to solve this through talk, you'd have to specify (and perhaps adjust) the reason the villagers dislike them.
Unreasonable hate is kind of difficult to argue against.

Arkus86

A display of power or empty but serious and believable threats based on their already poor reputation.

Otherwise good luck getting a riled up crowd to back off and calm down, when it has found a scapegoat in you and believes themselves to be in power over you.

Lomyril

You could use the environment to your advantage. For example, if the monsters attacked from one side of the town, and the sisters came into town from the opposite direction. That would help prove that they did not pull the monsters into the town.

You could also use their looks to your advantage. Two young girls, no matter what their powers are, would look pretty unlikely to lead a monster horde.

You could use their past. Like if they had been to the town before for supplies or to visit relatives. A past history could help to show they have no reason to harm the town when they get more out of having the town and its people exist. This way one of the townspeople could help vouch for them.

You could use a third party. For example, if the sisters saw that the monster horde was directed by some shadowy figure some of the other people in the town also saw. If it was this other guy, then the sisters had nothing to do with it.

You could use their powers. Depending on what they can do, it could be really helpful to the town to have their citizens healed, fed, or homes repaired. The sisters could say that it doesn't make any sense to offer to help people if they were trying to attack the town.

You could use their heritage. Maybe the sisters are related to some mayor / leader / noble who serves the country. If the person they serve is well known it could help the town to calm down.

You could use their work. If the sisters pull out an adventurer's card, they could say they were hired by the guild to come help investigate the area and/or subdue the monsters. Maybe one of the people in the town even posted a job in the guild that the sisters are responding to. The townspeople then say "that's right! It makes sense you would be here now".

Good luck with your story! Hope some of these ideas helped. If not now, then for later.

Suryae

Dismembered
I have some questions I want to ask before answering your question.

Why did the villagers scorn the two sisters? Are their magic taboo in that society? If so, who made their magic taboo in the first place?

atgongumerki

normally saving their useless peasant lives should have been enough to gain some gratitude ... these asshats need to have a warning example set upon their ungrateful heads

kill all the firstborn ... I mean give the person of authority a light spank on the left cheek ... but amplified by magic, thus breaking their neck muhahahahahaha

Jemini

Well, not really sure about your premise to start with, to be honest. I think before you commit to this narrative, you need to ask yourself a few questions first.

1. How common is magic in your world? And what kind of position are magic users usually at in your world? In order to have a reaction like this from the villagers, magic would have to be incredibly rare and almost exclusively used for dark purposes. Even the option of having court magicians serving the king would have to be off the table in order to justify this kind of behavior.

2. Are monster tamers a known thing in your world? Once again, you'd need the same line of reasoning as the whole mage thing.

If you did not think about these two implications to your wider world-building, then there is still a way to hand-wave away this stuff my making the village super isolated and the villagers extremely superstitious, but that is both lazy writing and a missed opportunity. It would serve your story far better to have the attitudes of the villagers roughly reflect those of the wider world in order to get a jump-start on your world building.

princy

well hello guys, I am new to this site, and recently I have started writing a novel but it is a novel based on Chinese culture I have tried my best to name some of the supporting characters in this novel but I am having trouble in naming all the characters I need help with naming cities, towns and more especially with female and male names so if anyone can pls help me to write the best novel and it's my first time writing a novel so please help me guys without your help I won't be able to proceed so pls help me.

NonReal

Just threaten to follow through with crowds' demands. Mobs when riled up, are rarely thinking through their decisions. Just allude that when sisters leave, the village will be left alone to handle all the threats. Sisters are attacked because of fear and distrust, it's a close and easily focused feeling. But monsters and similar threats are abstract, distant fear. One that rarely shows itself, and until now didn't incur serious losses.
As long as you present the sisters as "lesser evil" then at least one person will voice doubts about casting them out. As long as one person speaks out, then the rest of the crowd will gradually lose courage. The strength of the crowd derives from a lack of personal responsibility. But similarly, someone has to take initiative. If the first person were not to attack but to voice doubts, then the rest will follow.
Sure there would be vague threats and ultimatums, but the sisters will be left alone for some time. Not completely, but it would buy them some time, and eventually, they would have to leave.

Senior_elder

well hello guys, I am new to this site, and recently I have started writing a novel but it is a novel based on Chinese culture I have tried my best to name some of the supporting characters in this novel but I am having trouble in naming all the characters I need help with naming cities, towns and more especially with female and male names so if anyone can pls help me to write the best novel and it's my first time writing a novel so please help me guys without your help I won't be able to proceed so pls help me.
Search for name generators

Layenlml

Well, if the village was destroyed there is a couple of way but most of them where said already. So here I go.

Support from someonei n the crowd, having saved someone or simply a figurehead like a village chief descalating this with logic would work.

An external person like someone who came seeing the lonsters movements would also work.

Make them see that the girls are not the cause like having flying monsters attack then the sisters scare them away with a burst of magic

That they are a way to solve their problems, if they know magic already they can offer to defend the town or defeat a monster that stayed behind.

irei1as

Use a comedic non sequitur.
Make the villagers understand they have better things to do than complain to a party of fools and silly monsters.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Talk is cheap. The sisters need to demonstrate how their magic can be useful in rebuilding.

ConcubusBunny

Violence usually helps. Not necessarily towards the villagers, but the only way to deal with characters dumbed down for narrative purposes is action. That's usually the intent behind their creation, too.

If you want the younger one to solve this through talk, you'd have to specify (and perhaps adjust) the reason the villagers dislike them.
Unreasonable hate is kind of difficult to argue against.
Alright I'd guess jealousy, being a disgrace as a human, showing unreasonable hate and prejudice towards the sister's for what they view as being on a higher level than them and hate on monsters that the girls just revealed to be familiar with coupled that with mob mentality and you have this scene.
Here's some ideas:

Appeal to morality: She could try to get the villagers to see reason by reminding them of their humanity and/or good deeds and relationships the girls had prior to the destruction of the village. If feel that, in order to pull this off successfully, you would need to establish that the girls had good standing or show some of their good deeds in earlier chapters. Otherwise it might seem like you're pulling it out of thin air and reduce the impact on the readers.

Double down on the insults: Have the younger sister purposefully lean into the image that the villagers are painting of the girls so that they are so afraid they back off. I think there are a couple interesting/novel ways to do this such as the little sister sacrifices her own reputation to get the villagers to back off and save the older sister's reputation. Alternatively, the little sister could throw the older sister under the bus. I think either of these could add interesting dynamics to the relationship between the sisters and the villagers as well as between the sisters themselves. Otherwise, if they both double down on playing the evil role then they would probably need to leave the village.

Weird rant to defuse the tension: I'm thinking something like the scene from One Punch Man where one of the tank top dudes accuses Saitama of purposefully destroying the city and gets the crowd to condemn him. Saitama snaps and goes on a somewhat tangential rant about how he didn't destroy the meteor to get approval and that he is just a hero for fun. He then completely breaks of from the theme of the scene and starts calling random people bald. I feel like your scene has a similar premise of a crowd condemning someone who was able to take action in a dire situation.

Hope these help.
I like this idea just one problem they don't have good standing with the citizens due to the unnecessary hate and the younger sister is very crass with her words.
I was thinking she'll just remind them all the shit their in, the state of the village, that they just saved them and threaten them.
As for doubling down in the insults yeah that's what I'd go, but not totally evil just bad enough that they know their place. The younger sister would never through the older sister under the bus she's too loyal.
Also I want them to rule over the village after this at certain point so leaving isn't an option.
For the Saitama scene I didn't think of this but since the younger sister is more foul and aggressive she'll mostly bring them back to reality, knock them down a beg and threaten them.

You could use the environment to your advantage. For example, if the monsters attacked from one side of the town, and the sisters came into town from the opposite direction. That would help prove that they did not pull the monsters into the town.

You could also use their looks to your advantage. Two young girls, no matter what their powers are, would look pretty unlikely to lead a monster horde.

You could use their past. Like if they had been to the town before for supplies or to visit relatives. A past history could help to show they have no reason to harm the town when they get more out of having the town and its people exist. This way one of the townspeople could help vouch for them.

You could use a third party. For example, if the sisters saw that the monster horde was directed by some shadowy figure some of the other people in the town also saw. If it was this other guy, then the sisters had nothing to do with it.

You could use their powers. Depending on what they can do, it could be really helpful to the town to have their citizens healed, fed, or homes repaired. The sisters could say that it doesn't make any sense to offer to help people if they were trying to attack the town.

You could use their heritage. Maybe the sisters are related to some mayor / leader / noble who serves the country. If the person they serve is well known it could help the town to calm down.

You could use their work. If the sisters pull out an adventurer's card, they could say they were hired by the guild to come help investigate the area and/or subdue the monsters. Maybe one of the people in the town even posted a job in the guild that the sisters are responding to. The townspeople then say "that's right! It makes sense you would be here now".

Good luck with your story! Hope some of these ideas helped. If not now, then for later.
I guess I should've been more clear, the sisters are actually residents, the people that attacked the village are all humans save for some enslaved monsters and they didn't save them for justice or a noble cause it was more out of anger and on the fly type situation.
Also these two are in no way heroes, maybe antiheroes to an extent.

I have some questions I want to ask before answering your question.

Why did the villagers scorn the two sisters? Are their magic taboo in that society? If so, who made their magic taboo in the first place?
Because they are the only ones in town that posses magic.
That's hard to explain, it's not really taboo more like they think they are beneath the sisters because of it so they scorn them out of fear, it's like the Naruto think where they fear their power.

Well, not really sure about your premise to start with, to be honest. I think before you commit to this narrative, you need to ask yourself a few questions first.

1. How common is magic in your world? And what kind of position are magic users usually at in your world? In order to have a reaction like this from the villagers, magic would have to be incredibly rare and almost exclusively used for dark purposes. Even the option of having court magicians serving the king would have to be off the table in order to justify this kind of behavior.

2. Are monster tamers a known thing in your world? Once again, you'd need the same line of reasoning as the whole mage thing.

If you did not think about these two implications to your wider world-building, then there is still a way to hand-wave away this stuff my making the village super isolated and the villagers extremely superstitious, but that is both lazy writing and a missed opportunity. It would serve your story far better to have the attitudes of the villagers roughly reflect those of the wider world in order to get a jump-start on your world building.
1: Magic isn't rare and pretty common just not wildly used in large parts of human kingdoms due to ignorance.
Highly regarded partially in the upper middle ring and very much so in the center ring of the human kingdom.
Outside of that only enlightened people see magic users as respectable people of society, others see them as a threat that could easily wipe them out.
Because of the human kingdoms ignorance it's mostly used by dark mage guilds, cults or monster kingdoms that want to destroy the humans for the crimes they can't stop committing. Having a magic user in the kings court is greatly appreciated as the king is a magic himself.

2: It sorta depends on what you're referring most monster are sapient, like the slime stared above, but the zombie is none sapient and obeys the girls orders.

Just threaten to follow through with crowds' demands. Mobs when riled up, are rarely thinking through their decisions. Just allude that when sisters leave, the village will be left alone to handle all the threats. Sisters are attacked because of fear and distrust, it's a close and easily focused feeling. But monsters and similar threats are abstract, distant fear. One that rarely shows itself, and until now didn't incur serious losses.
As long as you present the sisters as "lesser evil" then at least one person will voice doubts about casting them out. As long as one person speaks out, then the rest of the crowd will gradually lose courage. The strength of the crowd derives from a lack of personal responsibility. But similarly, someone has to take initiative. If the first person were not to attack but to voice doubts, then the rest will follow.
Sure there would be vague threats and ultimatums, but the sisters will be left alone for some time. Not completely, but it would buy them some time, and eventually, they would have to leave.
Yeah they can't leave I will use the reminding the crowd of their current situation but leaving isn't ban option, I want the sisters to be solely responsible for getting the village back in working order through reasoning and small threats.
Ultimately I want them to serve the sisters.

Talk is cheap. The sisters need to demonstrate how their magic can be useful in rebuilding.
They will but not at this time, they are tired and grumpy plus there are more things that need to happen before they start assisting the town.
In the future I want the sister to rule the place so for now they'll do nothing and nide their time.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I like this idea just one problem they don't have good standing with the citizens due to the unnecessary hate and the younger sister is very crass with her words.
I was thinking she'll just remind them all the shit their in, the state of the village, that they just saved them and threaten them.
As for doubling down in the insults yeah that's what I'd go, but not totally evil just bad enough that they know their place. The younger sister would never through the older sister under the bus she's too loyal.
Also I want them to rule over the village after this at certain point so leaving isn't an option.
For the Saitama scene I didn't think of this but since the younger sister is more foul and aggressive she'll mostly bring them back to reality, knock them down a beg and threaten them.

I guess I should've been more clear, the sisters are actually residents, the people that attacked the village are all humans save for some enslaved monsters and they didn't save them for justice or a noble cause it was more out of anger and on the fly type situation.
Also these two are in no way heroes, maybe antiheroes to an extent.

Because they are the only ones in town that posses magic.
That's hard to explain, it's not really taboo more like they think they are beneath the sisters because of it so they scorn them out of fear, it's like the Naruto think where they fear their power.
If they don't need to be heroes, then a show of power should do the trick.

But them taking over the village begs the question why they didn't do that sooner. Did they power up recently?

ConcubusBunny

If they don't need to be heroes, then a show of power should do the trick.

But them taking over the village begs the question why they didn't do that sooner. Did they power up recently?
It's more of they couldn't before.
The sisters prior could bench press the entire village, plus all of the knights, even without magic, so it wasn't much of an issue.
The problem was the kingdom that currently ruled over their village and the sisters didn't have the desire to rule over them until someone powerful pointed out the option of having more freedom and control over the area.