I need help

Revan57

So the situation is that I woke up and suddenly wanted to write a original novel
I had an entire concept too
A week later that concept changed slightly which is all good because I felt this one was better so I wrote the first chapter had a bit of difficulty with first person point of view at first
But now when I look at it i dont know how to continue i have a basic outline for the start but theres no end goal or a threat
So while I was on this another idea struck my head
So I took parts of my second draft and added it to this
And now I feel like this one is gonna be even better i already have the enemies selected how it would go and all that and best part the mc does not start off OP sure he has a slight cheat but it wouldn't immediately make him the strongest being
But the thing is I dont wanna abandon the first chapter I already wrote
So any advice for this kind of situation
Should I shelf my old idea and get to this new one or just post that one chapter and leave it to work on the new idea

D

Deleted member 29316

Try combining it, if you don't want to waste/throw away the first chapter that you wrote.

Or you could put if off for a while--with the intention of coming back to it, while you focus on the second idea.

Posting the only chapter might annoy readers, especially if they liked the concept of that unfinished first story. Don't post it lest you make it clear to them that you had no intention of continuing it (and risk their ire).

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Try combining it, if you don't want to waste/throw away the first chapter that you wrote.

Or you could put if off for a while--with the intention of coming back to it, while you focus on the second idea.

Posting the only chapter might annoy readers, especially if they liked the concept of that unfinished first story. Don't post it lest you make it clear to them that you had no intention of continuing it (and risk their ire).
I will be fair on this one, even if you post a disclaimer, they will still hate you on it.

Or you can just open the stage for discussion, let others inspire, NOT GUIDE, your work.

D

Deleted member 29316

I will be fair on this one, even if you post a disclaimer, they will still hate you on it.

Or you can just open the stage for discussion, let others inspire, NOT GUIDE, your work.
True, this one. I've seen some authors do it, and still get the hate because of the unfinished story.

Also, if I may add, if ever you risk it, your other works might get the hate as well, because of reputation.

Revan57

I guess I'll just shelve the old one till I find enough inspiration to get back to it later
I really like the concept it's just that I feel like I won't be able to do it justice
Since it involves mc reincarnation multiple times and the mc will become OP real fast if he wasnt already OP and I'm not sure how to build up the world since the mc is essentially aware of all the people who can become a threat so no danger itll be just a curb stomp
So yeah it's a idea I wanna get back to later so I'll just focus on the new one and gain some experience writing before getting back to it

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I guess I'll just shelve the old one till I find enough inspiration to get back to it later
I really like the concept it's just that I feel like I won't be able to do it justice
Since it involves mc reincarnation multiple times and the mc will become OP real fast if he wasnt already OP and I'm not sure how to build up the world since the mc is essentially aware of all the people who can become a threat so no danger itll be just a curb stomp
So yeah it's a idea I wanna get back to later so I'll just focus on the new one and gain some experience writing before getting back to it
Well... I will be honest, I had seen people do the whole reincarnations cycle until OP alot, even the recent The Max Hero Has Returned is one and to be honest, the premise sucks.

We like OP MCs to get a kick out of the thing that we can never enjoy in life, the misery of those who smited us IRL.

Though there are people out there will enjoy the MC having a nemesis/ opponent to keep up with him at least for awhile.

SaddyStorm

I am experiencing the same problem. Got a basic outline for a story on March of 2020 and here I still am thinking things through and trying to add everything I would love to write about into the plot.

Basically saying that it's fine that you're taking your time with preparations for your story—unless your life literally depends on you finishing it within a few days then, goodluck.

Horizon42

So the situation is that I woke up and suddenly wanted to write a original novel
I had an entire concept too
A week later that concept changed slightly which is all good because I felt this one was better so I wrote the first chapter had a bit of difficulty with first person point of view at first
But now when I look at it i dont know how to continue i have a basic outline for the start but theres no end goal or a threat
So while I was on this another idea struck my head
So I took parts of my second draft and added it to this
And now I feel like this one is gonna be even better i already have the enemies selected how it would go and all that and best part the mc does not start off OP sure he has a slight cheat but it wouldn't immediately make him the strongest being
But the thing is I dont wanna abandon the first chapter I already wrote
So any advice for this kind of situation
Should I shelf my old idea and get to this new one or just post that one chapter and leave it to work on the new idea
Honestly, just start writing. Everything will meld together as you go. The outline phase is not the place to be perfect, that's editing.

skillet

a frying pan
There was some famous Korean author who came out on a TV show and talked about his writing process one time, which stuck with me until now. He used to say that when he had a really good idea, he'd save it somewhere-- all his plans for it, everything-- and then leave it if he knew he wouldn't be able to write it yet. He would wait until he grew as a writer enough to know he would be able to accomplish whatever idea that was onto paper the way he wanted it to be, and work on something else that he could do while he grew.

So basically, I think you should keep the one chapter you've written, save all your ideas, and work on whatever you can now. If you're struggling, it might just mean that you need to grow into the story. It's not abandonment, it's saving it for when you can be even better at it... or so I like to think of it, anyways ^^