Editing I need some editing tips.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I'm in the middle of heavy editing chapters for now. How do I adapt into editing a story?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Are you concerned about developmental/structural editing or line editing?

For line editing and proofreading, I recommend using a text-to-speech program. It really helps to catch all those pesky typos: https://ttsreader.com/

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Are you concerned about developmental/structural editing or line editing?
just everything... i can't determine what's my problem within my first work.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Just edit! Writing is a continuous learning process. :blobtaco:You will learn new things with every edit process and rereading your old chapters might give you a new perspective about what might need improvement. Flow, pacing, etc.

So no fear, throw yourself right at them.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Write first, edit later. If you come back after a while to edit, you'll know what you're trying to achieve with the chapter without being on single-minded track.
This.

I use this trick to help me not get bogged down.

Specifically, I write my draft in an annoying color. Then, on my editing pass, while I read, I modify the bits I want to keep and change the color back to black.

Everyone's different. Pick what works for you. Also up to you as to what standards you're willing to publish at. :blob_popcorn:

Lorain

If you're determined to do it yourself, changing the font and printing a hard copy to proofread can both be helpful. However, as some people pointed out, having a beta reader is very helpful. They aren't as familiar with the work and are less likely to subconsciously skim over mistakes; additionally, they can also spot logic flaws that the author just doesn't think of. It's also nice when they can give analysis of the characters, since readers often see characters differently than the author does.

MajorKerina

Text to speech, all the way. I like to use the MS Word version because I can just save the changes without needing an intermediary program but if you use the web for saving text then the free online options are great too.

So far as editing, distance is vital. Hearing your words is even better. Computers will destroy your heart and soul with emotionless renditions but they will finally figure out what you did wrong. Reading a lot for good sounding writing also helps you get an ear for writing good stuff. And practice.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
My editing tips and tools are this...

MS Word
The program I write in.

Text to speech

Grammar checker

I've installed Grammarly to my google chrome also and I don't regret it. I'm so bad at grammar so it's helpful. When I learned about text to speech now I do everything with it. It's nice to have it read out loud to you so you can see how a sentence flows. Sometimes I find myself getting irritated because I unknowingly repeated the same flow of words numerous times. So, I go back and adjust it to make the writing fresh.

Editing is a long process and sometimes it's taxing for us writers. However, it's always worthwhile when you read back through and appreciate what you wrote.

So far as editing, distance is vital. Hearing your words is even better. Computers will destroy your heart and soul with emotionless renditions but they will finally figure out what you did wrong. Reading a lot for good sounding writing also helps you get an ear for writing good stuff. And practice.

I agree 100% with MajorKerina.