I read Stephen King's On Writing

BlackKnightX

I was wondering if that method is even possible in this genre of web novels.
Yes, but it's highly flawed. The main strength of discovery writing is that it allows for a very organic feel; the characters feel real and the story has a logical flow to it. That is if you have already written a lot and have already internalized the craft. Your story will naturally have more depths as well, since you tend go down every rabbit hole that presents itself along the way. This allows for very complex plotlines (again, given that you have already internalized the craft).

The most common pitfall, however—even for one as practiced as Stephen King—is the ending. Discovery writing tends to have a weak and anticlimactic ending. You might also find yourself writing into corners and don't know how to get out. You also tend to meander a lot, thus slowing down the pace.

Successful discovery writers usually write multiple drafts. If you're willing to rewrite the entire things over and over again, then you can avoid the pitfalls I've listed above. (You can think of the first draft as a very long outline.)

As for web novel, you can't just write multiple drafts of the whole thing (unless you're willing to rewrite hundreds of chapters over and over again), but you can definitely incorporate a more organic process.

I would suggest you come up with characters and the world beforehand and flesh them out as best you can. Once you know the characters and the world they live in well enough, you can just let them lead you wherever they go. This method is actually pretty common in long form storytelling like web novels.

That said, I still recommend you planning out the general flow of the story before you write, especially the ending. It doesn't have to be super detailed or anything, but it will help off-load lots of stuff and give you the sense of direction. You can change things as you go along.

A better advice would be to learn the craft. Learn how storytelling works and why. Learn different tools you can use. Take things that resonate with you, and ignore the rest. Find your own process.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Dunno how many prople who don't plan are here, but I do know I'm one. I usually have a rough outline in my head, but it's more a suggestion for me than any plan or something similarly rigid. It usually changes in major ways at least a few times during writitng, and a majority of those cases are when I write some scene, then write another immediately after it plot wise, then realize that the outline I had doesn't suit it and change things up.

The first huge advantage of doing things this way is they seem much more spontaneous, as opposed to, for example, theatre plays (unless you're absolutely amazing at planning, but those are edge cases).

As for my advice for writing, don't overthink. It's bad if you jump headfirst and write withiut second thought - some consideration is a must - but don't second guess yourself or try make a scene as good as it can be. There's a sort of flow to each story (even if it's written following a plan to the dot) that gets broken once you start changing things up and trying to force something you think will be better than the initial idea.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Yes, people do this. It is pantzing. There is no correct way to write, and anyone that tells you so is wrong. If you are a planner, then outlining might work for you, but if you are not then consider just going blind.

ParticleOfSand

Miserable one
I do a rough outline of events for the arc and then let whatever I come up with dictate the direction of the remaining arcs. Oftentimes, that means my final product is very different than my planned version in the details, but that's what makes it fun. Just looking back on how much my ideas have changed, I go "What was I thinking when I made this outline? The dynamic is completely different than my final product."

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Stephen King may be a ''good'' and productive writer, but he is weird af and I would not want to check his computer.
When he writes his next orgy, I hope it is a lot more PG and a lot less 13.
Yes, people do this. It is pantzing. There is no correct way to write, and anyone that tells you so is wrong. If you are a planner, then outlining might work for you, but if you are not then consider just going blind.

Everyone panties.

The question is how much.

Writing is a numbers game. You need to write three times the story you publish. Toss out half the ideas, they slowly cut away everything you don't need.

The big mistake is thinking every word must be good. No.

First draft is just that, a draft. Write the first draft quickly without worrying about the details. Get the good stuff down. Skip over the connective tissue and get the high points.

The add more high points. Write a second book with as many alternates as you can come up with.

Pick the top two ideas. Make the reader think it is the second best idea, then, plot twist, make it the best idea.

Always rewrite from the end to the beginning. Retroactively make the plot fit the end, then clean it up and add the fluff.

Last edited:

DataNerdX

There's a continuum between Plotters and Pantsers. Through the process of writing, you'll discover where you are along that continuum. Since you've never written before, I'd recommend you start by to jotting down some notes about the characters, the world, and the interesting ideas/events/themes that you want to cover. Do as much as you can before you start feeling bored, overwhelmed, or any negative emotion. Then shift to writing.

Just because Stephen King is a fly by the seat of his pantser doesn't mean you are. Personally, my "outline" was 350 words before I started Chapter 1. And 50K words later, I've only covered half of my original outline and I have a much better idea now of the arcs that I want to cover by the end of the story. And I know how book 1 will end now. So I can add a lot more to the outline if I wanted to. But I won't because I've discovered that I like writing chapter by chapter. So find your own writing style.

George R.R. Martin uses other terms for this dichotomy: Architects vs Gardners. I found this definition to be very insightful. Each character is like a seed, for which you know their flaws and motivations, even if you don't know what kind of plant they'll grow into. I also like the idea that for each scene that I write, the details I add are like buried seeds, which can grow or be used in later arcs.

If anything, I kind of feel like pantsers are more suited for web novels. There are many stories that go on for thousands of pages with no end in sight.

The most important thing is to start writing: either the outline or the first chapter. Good luck!

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
When he writes his next orgy, I hope it is a lot more PG and a lot less 13.

Everyone panties.

The question is how much.

Writing is a numbers game. You need to write three times the story you publish. Toss out half the ideas, they slowly cut away everything you don't need.

The big mistake is thinking every word must be good. No.

First draft is just that, a draft. Write the first draft quickly without worrying about the details. Get the good stuff down. Skip over the connective tissue and get the high points.

The add more high points. Write a second book with as many alternates as you can come up with.

Pick the top two ideas. Make the reader think it is the second best idea, then, plot twist, make it the best idea.

Always rewrite from the end to the beginning. Retroactively make the plot fit the end, then clean it up and add the fluff.
I love the way you phrase things sometimes.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Times like this makes me glad I make videos so I don't have to type out the stuff I'd say.

There are multiple variants on how one can pants and outline as well. Like, I outline the macro and pants the micro. Though I lean heavily toward outlining.