I summon thee to assist me in world building

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
View attachment 10340
Hello gals, guys and enby pals.
I've gotta dilemma on my hands.
So I've I'm trying to refine the world of my science fantasy story, but I want the guns the world to be less in use and people of the world use non firearm melee weapons, but I stumped in finding a good excuse as to why everyone doesn't show up on the battle field with a clip full of magic bullets and start blasting.
Earlier I thought of a way around by making the powerful people in my world travel at the speed of sound and above and have super durable bodies.
So the guns bullet aren't gonna be effective.
But I'm now in the part of the story where there's army building and wars so I really need to address the gun being not widely as opposed to a my machine throwing discuss and plasma katar's.
Try making it like this, guns have a fixed amount of damage and the amount of damage can't be adjusted according to the users strength. In rpg terms suppose a sword is +10 to attack but a gun is 15 to attack, if your attack stat is 10 , with a sword you'd do 20 damage but with a gun you'd do 15 no matter what your attack stat is. Meaning guns are great if your attack stat is low but bad if it is high. Basically a bad sword is as powerful as the one who wields it, but a shit gun is shit even at the hands of an expert.

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
View attachment 10340
So I've I'm trying to refine the world of my science fantasy story, but I want the guns the world to be less in use and people of the world use non firearm melee weapons, but I stumped in finding a good excuse as to why everyone doesn't show up on the battle field with a clip full of magic bullets and start blasting.
Earlier I thought of a way around by making the powerful people in my world travel at the speed of sound and above and have super durable bodies.
But I'm now in the part of the story where there's army building and wars so I really need to address the gun being not widely as opposed to a my machine throwing discuss and plasma katar's.
Just make it so people need to have a license to use a gun and make it very hard to get that license. Make up some bullshit about the guns of that world having the power of a nuclear bomb(weapons of mass destruction lol) or something absurdly stupid. Could just be some propaganda politicians spread to the masses who just take their word for it and those politicians are afraid of getting assassinated by sniper rifles.

Just politicize anything and everything you’re afraid of and before you know it, you’ve suddenly got your solution to world hunger. World hunger is sexist and racist so we need to cancel it.(sarcasm)

Last edited:

Layenlml

View attachment 10340
Maybe making the main component of the lethal guns extremely key for something else?

And then a pact was made to use an alterntive.

If you don't go for the limiting resouce part the only other way I can think of is a really big and brutal event where lethal weapons were used resulting in the ban of them.

NonReal

Depends on a magic system.
For example, if someone is capable of limited precognition plus enhanced reflexes, then long-range, precise weaponry is largely ineffective against them. As long as they're careful they can dodge the shot before it's ever taken.
Or if you had the widespread ability to create kinetic barriers or something along those lines that stops projectiles above certain speeds. It doesn't have to be absolute.
Combine those two and you have individuals largely immune to gunfire. In fact, there are countless combinations of even "basic magic" abilities that can render a majority of long-range weaponry obsolete.
If that fails you can make the swords themselves mystical and symbolic. For example, let's assume that there are some spiritual beings that attack the living. They can only be harmed by a certain, specially prepared metal, that's in short supply and hard to work with. Ammunition is largely consumable so it would be wasteful to use this metal as such. Instead, it would be made into melee weapons. Even if the menace of spiritual beings would be gone swords would remain a status symbol, and the ability to use them a source of pride.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
are you still looking for answer?

first of all, i need you to understand how our guns in real life works,

it's basically propelling a tiny lead/copper material using gunpowder so it could move at the speed of 2,7 km/hour. and that is more than twice of speed of sounds, which made the lead/copper penetrate anything on it's path. that's the simplified explanation.

now what you need here is the reason why bullet cannot penetrate properly at your world. it could be because copper is a rare material, or because clothes on another world is thougher than the bullet so it couldn't penetrate, or maybe because the existence of mythril that cannot be penetrated by bullets.

that could be the base of things, guns then considered a defective weapon because it couldn't even wound living creature properly, which makes it very undeveloped.
just a heads up that muzzle at semi/automatic guns nowadays has a rotating cylinder in it, that makes it easier to aim and makes the bullet traveling faster in a straight path. a musket doesn't have those which makes the aiming is so damn hard.

Aslan659

guns may not have developed to the point of being effective. The reason why technology developed so much in our world is because we humans dont have any natural defenses. But if there is magic that renders guns unnecessary

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Keep your world building notes on the side. "Show" by finding ways to incorporate the information into the action whenever possible. Only "tell" as a last resort, when you can't think of any other way to explain things.