I Want Some Insight On This Topic

Love4NovelGuy

I’ve written a fanfic before, but I’m not sure what kind of passion is needed to want to write a story that incorporates elements of an existing work. I initially thought it was for views so that the main work could get attention, but there are also those who write fanfics simply because they like the characters used. The character being used.

I once tried to write without having the passion necessary to be invested in my own work. That big mistake cost me a lot of loyal readers since I’d been worrying too much. So… I guess what answer I’m going to get is “write what you like(?)”… Yeah, maybe I’m overcomplicating this.

I wanted to write a fanfic in the card genre but didn’t know how to go about it. The ‘card genre’ is basically just people using magic cards instead of big technique in Xianxia, but it’s a similar premise of fighting to get to the top.

I’m giving the MC the initial base qualities of Sasuke Uchiha and the other abilities (even the Sharingan), only being able to be created later on. Mostly because Sasuke is way too OP with his copying techniques (which is way too broken in Xianxia) and whatever other cheats he got.

I guess it’s a balancing problem I ran into.

I’m not sure how to create a world that’s interesting to have Sasuke Uchiha’s (and other)
Fictional powers in. What I got currently is using the card magic part of this world to nerf his copycat ability (since techniques come from cards in this world, and not cultivation or arts).

Thinking of making a revenge story with it, but can’t think of a trope that would start his journey for revenge (or to be specific: ‘retaliation’… since revenge makes MCs too obsessive).

“Naruto System In Another World” already exists at this point, and I want to do something different from that… Even if I’m adding gimmicks, I feel like my story can’t escape from becoming a copy of that. Maybe I’m taking inspiration in the wrong places. Need some insight on what could help.

It’s been a long time since I’ve written anything remotely Xianxia and I can’t remember how the loop is supposed to go. I remember “Martial King’s Lewd Dreams” was called subversive (because there was some level of empathy), but that was just because I have a bad memory on how to use the tropes I’d seen 100 times.

Can’t write what I don’t properly understand.

Maybe I shouldn’t go the Xianxia route if I can’t understand it and do something else… is what my mind is wandering to. Thought getting a second opinion could help make a decision faster.

What do you guys think of all this?

Maybe I can’t write Xianxia properly because I don’t know how to write ‘trash humans who deserve to die’. It’s just hard for me to hate someone or imagine the cannon fodder. Like the sects that get burned because one guy was bad.

People say you can write a good Xianxia if the main character isn’t a hypocrite, but being nice when everyone else is picking a fight all day isn’t my style. I’d become a villain in that setting and would actively say: “Yes, just let everyone die.”

Blow up the darn planet or something.

Erase this dystopia where staring at a wall for years thinking about a ‘technique’ to harm someone gives ultimate power. Where apparently people have standards even though there is a high chance Murim people are straight up trash.

Maybe I feel too biased despite enjoying the tropes as they play out. When the hero overwhelms the baddies and saves whichever girl he found these current 10 chapters. At least before he moves on to ‘heroically’ search for more lovers… because it’s not like taking care of one person with their own life is hard or anything.

In fact, most heroines in these stories just straight up don’t have a life besides the main character. When they meet him, their goals become linked to him and they get sickly when they don’t see his ’handsome face’ enough.

I know I’m just ripping on a small portion of Xianxia at this point, but I don’t know what to do at this point. My memory isn’t good enough to remember the loop of fighting, searching, and whatever other tropes these MCs fall into.

When I write a story, I usually create a title based off the theme and continuously try to expand on that rather than battles in isolation. ‘An Identity Beyond Self’ = Empathy. ‘An Adventure Beyond Greatness’ = Existentialism… to see the adventures beyond the grandeur of the events.

Not sure what kind of themes work with the card genre, which is usually the same kind of battle/power fantasy as Xianxia. What kind of theme does a Xianxia have in isolation anyway?

I’m overthinking the issue again. My bad.

It just feels better getting these thoughts written down since they wouldn’t have any way of being heard anywhere else. I don’t really have a friend that would be interested in hearing these topics.

Think of this post and random rambling of someone who just wanted to vent his confusion somewhere.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I... think I understand? So, first, xianxia, you just don't like it from the sounds of it. Which I totally get -- I find most people who write it boring as well personally. I say just don't write the genre.

Also, you want to make a revenge story, right? But you're struggling to figure out how to make it more than just... well, Cradle. I've been reading that and it is one of the most boring things I've ever read at this point since all it is is training and fights. You want to explore more about a character than that. Something like... have you seen Blue-Eyed Samurai on Netflix? It's a beautifully told revenge story that has a myriad of options in it as opposed to being one-note.

Also, something about cards-- I'm a bit lost there.

But yeah, do I understand what you're saying correctly?

Succubiome

I wanted to write a fanfic in the card genre but didn’t know how to go about it.
Why?

I understand you're confused on a variety of points after the initial decision, but what's the initial point that all of that comes from? What're your core motivations for writing?

Love4NovelGuy

Xianxia is a setting, not a theme. You can have many themes in a Xianxia setting.
…I never thought of it that way.
I... think I understand? So, first, xianxia, you just don't like it from the sounds of it. Which I totally get -- I find most people who write it boring as well personally. I say just don't write the genre.

Also, you want to make a revenge story, right? But you're struggling to figure out how to make it more than just... well, Cradle. I've been reading that and it is one of the most boring things I've ever read at this point since all it is is training and fights. You want to explore more about a character than that. Something like... have you seen Blue-Eyed Samurai on Netflix? It's a beautifully told revenge story that has a myriad of options in it as opposed to being one-note.

Also, something about cards-- I'm a bit lost there.

But yeah, do I understand what you're saying correctly?
Nah I’m just rambling without a coherent point here if ya understand something and catch my drift, then great. If not, then interacting anyway is helpful. On that note, thank you for your thoughts.

I’ll have a look at the suggestion. Normally, I can’t seem to write revenge stories since it seems so boring being so obsessed with one person until you kill them. The message of “Revenge might not be what really want” is a dish that’s too common. A point that’s been done to death.

No worries about the whole card magic thing-a-ma-jig.

Thank you for the recommendation. 👍
Why?

I understand you're confused on a variety of points after the initial decision, but what's the initial point that all of that comes from? What're your core motivations for writing?
Oh no that part was just me unable to join ideas into something I like properly. It’s like… I want to write it but my joys only come when the story has some consistency. It’s like… I enjoy people fighting in Xianxia, but get really angry when a fight is forced to happen. Or the main character loses because they were powered down by the author specifically to get character development.

The story doesn’t feel fun to me if I can’t play around, and sometimes I just can’t seem to find a good idea to work on. My solution is just seeing what random comments can say and using that feedback to stimulate my creativity.

I don’t need a real answer and was just venting if I’m being honest. If someone says something that clicks with me, then that’s fortunate but not at all something I’m banking on to move forward.

Right now I’m letting the ideas cook in my head until I can find something to passionately write about. Since passion is all that drives me write new chapters of something, I make sure what I’m writing is something I like.

If that makes any sense.

I find it easy to forget my stories because the initial passion wore off. Like when I wrote ‘Sakura Is Reincarnated’ because I felt like challenging the perception that Sakura couldn’t be turned into an interesting character.

The moment I achieved my objective is when my passion for the story died and I stopped writing the fanfic (even though it had potential).

So yeah… I just do this venting so I can just find something that I won’t drop. My method of doing that is via using the title to remember a theme I want to continue in the story, rather than focusing solely on the characters themselves.

Right now I’m just figuring out what kind of ‘story’ I want to tell rather than just a collection of tropes I’d like… but will forget about after writing them once. What story I feel needs to be told.

Last edited:

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
I’ve written a fanfic before, but I’m not sure what kind of passion is needed to want to write a story that incorporates elements of an existing work. I initially thought it was for views so that the main work could get attention, but there are also those who write fanfics simply because they like the characters used. The character being used.

I once tried to write without having the passion necessary to be invested in my own work. That big mistake cost me a lot of loyal readers since I’d been worrying too much. So… I guess what answer I’m going to get is “write what you like(?)”… Yeah, maybe I’m overcomplicating this.

I wanted to write a fanfic in the card genre but didn’t know how to go about it. The ‘card genre’ is basically just people using magic cards instead of big technique in Xianxia, but it’s a similar premise of fighting to get to the top.

I’m giving the MC the initial base qualities of Sasuke Uchiha and the other abilities (even the Sharingan), only being able to be created later on. Mostly because Sasuke is way too OP with his copying techniques (which is way too broken in Xianxia) and whatever other cheats he got.

I’m not sure how to create a world that’s interesting to have Sasuke Uchiha’s (and other)
Fictional powers in. What I got currently is using the card magic part of this world to nerf his copycat ability (since techniques come from cards in this world, and not cultivation or arts).

Thinking of making a revenge story with it, but can’t think of a trope that would start his journey for revenge (or to be specific: ‘retaliation’… since revenge makes MCs too obsessive).

“Naruto System In Another World” already exists at this point, and I want to do something different from that… Even if I’m adding gimmicks, I feel like my story can’t escape from becoming a copy of that. Maybe I’m taking inspiration in the wrong places. Need some insight on what could help.

It’s been a long time since I’ve written anything remotely Xianxia and I can’t remember how the loop is supposed to go. I remember “Martial King’s Lewd Dreams” was called subversive (because there was some level of empathy), but that was just because I have a bad memory on how to use the tropes I’d seen 100 times.

Maybe I shouldn’t go the Xianxia route if I can’t understand it and do something else… is what my mind is wandering to. Thought getting a second opinion could help make a decision faster.

Maybe I can’t write Xianxia properly because I don’t know how to write ‘trash humans who deserve to die’. It’s just hard for me to hate someone or imagine the cannon fodder. Like the sects that get burned because one guy was bad.

People say you can write a good Xianxia if the main character isn’t a hypocrite, but being nice when everyone else is picking a fight all day isn’t my style. I’d become a villain in that setting and would actively say: “Yes, just let everyone die.”

Erase this dystopia where staring at a wall for years thinking about a ‘technique’ to harm someone gives ultimate power. Where apparently people have standards even though there is a high chance Murim people are straight up trash.

Maybe I feel too biased despite enjoying the tropes as they play out. When the hero overwhelms the baddies and saves whichever girl he found these current 10 chapters. At least before he moves on to ‘heroically’ search for more lovers… because it’s not like taking care of one person with their own life is hard or anything.

In fact, most heroines in these stories just straight up don’t have a life besides the main character. When they meet him, their goals become linked to him and they get sickly when they don’t see his ’handsome face’ enough.

I know I’m just ripping on a small portion of Xianxia at this point, but I don’t know what to do at this point. My memory isn’t good enough to remember the loop of fighting, searching, and whatever other tropes these MCs fall into.

When I write a story, I usually create a title based off the theme and continuously try to expand on that rather than battles in isolation. ‘An Identity Beyond Self’ = Empathy. ‘An Adventure Beyond Greatness’ = Existentialism… to see the adventures beyond the grandeur of the events.

Not sure what kind of themes work with the card genre, which is usually the same kind of battle/power fantasy as Xianxia. What kind of theme does a Xianxia have in isolation anyway?

It just feels better getting these thoughts written down since they wouldn’t have any way of being heard anywhere else. I don’t really have a friend that would be interested in hearing these topics.

Think of this post and random rambling of someone who just wanted to vent his confusion somewhere.
There are other alternatives, though I recommend you don't take the Xianxia route first because that place is a literal dumpster.

If you don't know how to balance, learn it quickly.

The Xianxia and System is like the queen and the beehive situation cranked up to 11. It's super sweet, but it has stingy death-like guards around it.

Proceed carefully when you insist on writing about it.

Or, take the alternatives and write fanfics outside of those two like me. I don't need to write RPG stuff in someone's non-RPG work, cuz it'll be a headache instead. And I have better ideas for picturing scenes in my fanfics along with lots of variety.
Oh no that part was just me unable to join ideas into something I like properly. It’s like… I want to write it but my joys only come when the story has some consistency. It’s like… I enjoy people fighting in Xianxia, but get really angry when a fight is forced to happen. Or the main character loses because they were powered down by the author specifically to get character development.
Basically, you want the fight to happen naturally and not have the MC lose in a battle cuz of a Nerf.

I get yer point. Maybe.
The story doesn’t feel fun to me if I can’t play around, and sometimes I just can’t seem to find a good idea to work on. My solution is just seeing what random comments can say and using that feedback to stimulate my creativity.
Inspirations, latching into everything around you, questioning:

ajoke.jpg

I don’t need a real answer and was just venting if I’m being honest. If someone says something that clicks with me, then that’s fortunate but not at all something I’m banking on to move forward.

Right now I’m letting the ideas cook in my head until I can find something to passionately write about. Since passion is all that drives me write new chapters of something, I make sure what I’m writing is something I like.
If that makes any sense.
It makes sense, do not worry.

Still, though, make your ramblings understandable if you can.

Our fellow writers have proven how many brain cells they have left from interacting with Xianxia by reading your vent.
I find it easy to forget my stories because the initial passion wore off. Like when I wrote ‘Sakura Is Reincarnated’ because I felt like challenging the perception that Sakura couldn’t be turned into an interesting character.

The moment I achieved my objective is when my passion for the story died and I stopped writing the fanfic (even though it had potential).
That's dirty.

Re-think about it. If you haven't set up an ending for your fanfics, you're not respecting the original author's work.

Hence why I hate it when people half-heartedly write a fanfic.

If you write an original work with only some passion, that's just a skill issue. Nothing else. But, write a fanfic with the same amount of heart, you've just thrown dirt on the original author's face.

If you lose motivation, at least make an ending for it. You don't need to reach a certain amount of chapters to end it
So yeah… I just do this venting so I can just find something that I won’t drop. My method of doing that is via using the title to remember a theme I want to continue in the story, rather than focusing solely on the characters themselves.
Like I said earlier.

Inspirations exist everywhere. You just haven't figured out how to notice it.

Try listening to some music and portray a scene with your chars on it. Doesn't matter if it fits your theme or not, you listen to the song first and write the scene without the music and make the scene fit your theme.

Here's one. I portray a scene of betrayal with this one, in a Game of Thrones setting.

Even better if it fits a thing or two in the theme you've set. For instance, I portray a betrayal scene with L.A Noire is my fanfic.
Right now I’m just figuring out what kind of ‘story’ I want to tell rather than just a collection of tropes I’d like… but will forget about after writing them once. What story I feel needs to be told.
Try finding a character in a series that, despite having the shortest screen time or/and the weakest/mortal, somehow lived through all the bulls*its the story has given to them.

For me, it's Corporal Adrian Shepherd.

This guy:

OpFor.jpg

And this is him in combat:

Shepherd.jpg

Reminder:

He went to Black Mesa with no clear objective and was forced to survive a catastrophic disaster caused by a failed experiment. He was saved, yes. But since the being saving him said he should be put in a "Place where you wouldn't intercept.", he's currently detained somewhere only god knows as I type.

Last edited:

Love4NovelGuy

There are other alternatives, though I recommend you don't take the Xianxia route first because that place is a literal dumpster.

If you don't know how to balance, learn it quickly.

The Xianxia and System is like the queen and the beehive situation cranked up to 11. It's super sweet, but it has stingy death-like guards around it.

Proceed carefully when you insist on writing about it.

Or, take the alternatives and write fanfics outside of those two like me. I don't need to write RPG stuff in someone's non-RPG work, cuz it'll be a headache instead. And I have better ideas for picturing scenes in my fanfics along with lots of variety.

Basically, you want the fight to happen naturally and not have the MC lose in a battle cuz of a Nerf.

I get yer point. Maybe.

Inspirations, latching into everything around you, questioning:

View attachment 28473

It makes sense, do not worry.

Still, though, make your ramblings understandable if you can.

Our fellow writers have proven how many brain cells they have left from interacting with Xianxia by reading your vent.

That's dirty.

Re-think about it. If you haven't set up an ending for your fanfics, you're not respecting the original author's work.

Hence why I hate it when people half-heartedly write a fanfic.

If you write an original work with only some passion, that's just a skill issue. Nothing else. But, write a fanfic with the same amount of heart, you've just thrown dirt on the original author's face.

If you lose motivation, at least make an ending for it. You don't need to reach a certain amount of chapters to end it

Like I said earlier.

Inspirations exist everywhere. You just haven't figured out how to notice it.

Try listening to some music and portray a scene with your chars on it. Doesn't matter if it fits your theme or not, you listen to the song first and write the scene without the music and make the scene fit your theme.

Here's one. I portray a scene of betrayal with this one, in a Game of Thrones setting.

Even better if it fits a thing or two in the theme you've set. For instance, I portray a betrayal scene with L.A Noire is my fanfic.

Try finding a character in a series that, despite having the shortest screen time or/and the weakest/mortal, somehow lived through all the bulls*its the story has given to them.

For me, it's Corporal Adrian Shepherd.

This guy:

View attachment 28474

And this is him in combat:

View attachment 28476

Reminder:

He went to Black Mesa with no clear objective and was forced to survive a catastrophic disaster caused by a failed experiment. He was saved, yes. But since the being saving him said he should be put in a "Place where you wouldn't intercept.", he's currently detained somewhere only god knows as I type.
Thank you for the very detailed comment. It was very intriguing to read. My bad about the rambling I just vomited my thoughts out and posted it without organising it. I gain a new perspective ths more I read through it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You need to have a serious crush on one or more of the characters to write good fanfiction.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Thank you for the very detailed comment. It was very intriguing to read. My bad about the rambling I just vomited my thoughts out and posted it without organising it. I gain a new perspective ths more I read through it.
Noice.

Good to know you've read my dawn comment.

Yes, I did answer your question at 5 AM in my timezone.
That's not the only factor to account.

There's more.

Like understanding the LOOOOOREEE, what character does what and how, and the relationship between one character to the other.

Basically, you're a fan of work and made an alternative story with the cast you've known. Hence why this is a genre called "Fanfiction".
You need to have a serious crush on one or more of the characters to write good fanfiction.

Last edited:

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)

Dude, you got the answer already. Write what you want, what you want to read. You can't get any money out of fanfics, that is stealing. Unless you get hired by the original creator to write the fanfic as a spin-off.

The important thing is to write the story to the end. If you didn't like the characters/original story, you wouldn't feel the itch to write. So, what is holding you back? Write to the end, edit after, put it out there. Or don't put it out there, if you don't feel like it.

If writing is not fun for you, then you should make it fun. That can only happen when you stop worrying. Face the blank page with the excitement of seeing your crush.

Have fun, happy writing.