I will read your story and give reviews. (I am OatMush's disciple).

patrick_lansing

Hello there!
I was browsing the forums and saw Mr. OatMush's thread. I loved the concept, and thought I should volunteer my own services in this way and fashion. To note, I will do the same and tell you where my attention broke, and where I dropped it. However, I won't be able to give you beta-reader type feedback - just my general impressions.

Here's my background:
I like classics. I like drama - but I don't like melodrama, although a little bit of tugging on heartstrings is fine.
I am a devoted fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, G.R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, Ursula le Guin, Octavia Butler, Frank Herbert - the usual suspects really. But, I like that sort of classical fantasy. I would like to read stuff based nearer to that than say xianxia, although wuxia is definitely a good favourite of mine (Ashes of Time, anyone?).

I also like movies - so if your novel is like the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, or Kill Bill, or Whiplash - hit me up.

Idea is courtesy OatMush.

PS. - I completely forgot to add - ... I don't really read WebNovels.
PPS. - Please do mention if I should leave a review AT your novel, or in this forum thread!
PPPS. - I don't know if I am the Smut guy.

Last edited:
I'd love if you can give an opinion on my story - as a warning it does have fsirly graphic smut elements, but I am trying to weave that into an actual interesting fantasy romp with many similar influences to what you have and using it to practice my prose. Hope you enjoy!

patrick_lansing

Can you check my signature story please! Thank you a lot, love muah muah mwah
Hey, thanks for replying! Do mention if you want me to leave a review beneath your novel. So, I'm just gonna do it here on this thread.

Right off, you start it as an epistolary so my interest was piqued. However, there were some inconsistencies of tense that put me off. I just couldn't get my head round the idea. The person is dead? Okay. There is some vague idea of a goddess type thing. It just ... sort of falls apart because the inconsistent tense kept bothering me. I find reading a continuous description of various things happening ... kind of boring? Nothing much happened, she just accepted her death, and moved on to the "next" world. I was hoping for more dialogue, some introspection, some questions and description of the place, maybe?

Unfortunately, when I moved to the next chapter the issues were still there. So I stopped at the middle of the next chapter. I just feel that an epistolary novel must be in past tense. It's about events that have already happened. I felt very lost in time and space reading the entire bit.

So sorry, Chapter 2 - middle - was my limit.

Perhaps if you could find time to update that one issue, it will be great.

I'd love if you can give an opinion on my story - as a warning it does have fsirly graphic smut elements, but I am trying to weave that into an actual interesting fantasy romp with many similar influences to what you have and using it to practice my prose. Hope you enjoy!

Ah ... another smut! Okay, I hope that you will forgive me dallying about a bit before I get down and dirty. And do tell where I should leave my review! I don't mind adding comments!

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Hey, thanks for replying! Do mention if you want me to leave a review beneath your novel. So, I'm just gonna do it here on this thread.

Right off, you start it as an epistolary so my interest was piqued. However, there were some inconsistencies of tense that put me off. I just couldn't get my head round the idea. The person is dead? Okay. There is some vague idea of a goddess type thing. It just ... sort of falls apart because the inconsistent tense kept bothering me. I find reading a continuous description of various things happening ... kind of boring? Nothing much happened, she just accepted her death, and moved on to the "next" world. I was hoping for more dialogue, some introspection, some questions and description of the place, maybe?

Unfortunately, when I moved to the next chapter the issues were still there. So I stopped at the middle of the next chapter. I just feel that an epistolary novel must be in past tense. It's about events that have already happened. I felt very lost in time and space reading the entire bit.

Ah ... another smut! Okay, I hope that you will forgive me dallying about a bit before I get down and dirty. And do tell where I should leave my review! I don't mind adding comments!
Thnak you, I also noticed that I write without caring about tenses and thought it didn't mattered as much, but for most people it should be. I would be looking into this.

No rush at all take your time! And I know i find it fun to write though, and in interesting challenge to not have it become repetitive! Happy to leave comments in here, or if you wanna dm them thats fine too!

patrick_lansing

No rush at all take your time! And I know i find it fun to write though, and in interesting challenge to not have it become repetitive! Happy to leave comments in here, or if you wanna dm them thats fine too!
So, first of all, I dropped the story after Chapter 2. I was not expecting to reach chapter two. I wasn't even looking to review smut (but, here we are).

The beginning is excellent. There were sentences here and there that broke my flow, but I could power through them because I was curious just at the right time (a package has arrived, everyone hates Gary, she has a dildo collection large enough to challenge MoistCritikal etc.) and although I wasn't fond of the "chat" dialogues (they could use some formatting, but hey you're not a typesetter, so that's not your fault), but the conversation was interesting enough to capture my attention. And, oh my lawd, you know how to write smut. You even made me feel quite a bit hot in the face.

But, I was definitely not expecting giant dildo glowing ... thing! What a twist. But it was sort of blink and you miss stuff. Perhaps you would gain a little bit more clarity if you demarcate that shift in the tone. Perhaps Annabelle can remain curious for just a tad bit more, show a little more concern, and then there is a rapid vanishing.

[To note: this isn't editorial advice. It's what popped up in my head: sort of the negative space of my thoughts at the time.]

I stopped after chapter two, because my attention kept on moving to some typos/grammatical errors (they are a bit of an eyesore in an otherwise great second chapter, but it's not that much of a problem, being honest. It's a pebble in your shoe). What really put me off in the second chapter was the standard litRPG character sheet. Look, I play D&D, and it's just my taste - but I don't quite like that.

YET, I might just continue your book!

All the while, I wondered how awesome your book might be if you just get an editor and have a few pass-through sessions with them. Wishing you luck with the rest. You might even have a new reader!
Good day. If it is okay, please check my story and tell me your honest thoughts about why it is bad:

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/860302/a-rats-problems/
Right on. You're next in the queue.

Last edited:
So, first of all, I dropped the story after Chapter 2. I was not expecting to reach chapter two. I wasn't even looking to review smut (but, here we are).

The beginning is excellent. There were sentences here and there that broke my flow, but I could power through them because I was curious just at the right time (a package has arrived, everyone hates Gary, she has a dildo collection large enough to challenge MoistCritikal etc.) and although I wasn't fond of the "chat" dialogues (they could use some formatting, but hey you're not a typesetter, so that's not your fault), but the conversation was interesting enough to capture my attention. And, oh my lawd, you know how to write smut. You even made me feel quite a bit hot in the face.

But, I was definitely not expecting giant dildo glowing ... thing! What a twist. But it was sort of blink and you miss stuff. Perhaps you would gain a little bit more clarity if you demarcate that shift in the tone. Perhaps Annabelle can remain curious for just a tad bit more, show a little more concern, and then there is a rapid vanishing.

[To note: this isn't editorial advice. It's what popped up in my head: sort of the negative space of my thoughts at the time.]

I stopped after chapter two, because my attention kept on moving to some typos/grammatical errors (they are a bit of an eyesore in an otherwise great second chapter, but it's not that much of a problem, being honest. It's a pebble in your shoe). What really put me off in the second chapter was the standard litRPG character sheet. Look, I play D&D, and it's just my taste - but I don't quite like that.

YET, I might just continue your book!

All the while, I wondered how awesome your book might be if you just get an editor and have a few pass-through sessions with them. Wishing you luck with the rest. You might even have a new reader!

Right on. You're next in the queue.
Oh thank you - the fact that you're even considering reading on and its not your thing is a great compliment - I will definitely revisit the chapters and look for typos, I am writing quite rapidly atm (I started writing this a few days ago, with the idea of just get it in front of people as I am hoping this will spur me on) so it definitely needs editing. I currently got 3 or 4 more chapters stockpiled my goal is to get to maybe a week or two ahead of publishing and then revisit, edit and see how it goes.

I'll have a look at how to format the chat dialogues - and I get the character sheet isn't everyone's thing, I quite enjoy them and I think they're fun to write, but might try to just keep formatting.

Will definitely try to re-visit and implement some feedback - I wish I had an editor haha what a luxury.

KingMusa

Take a look at my work! It's a magic Academy story.

Here is the synopsis:

Eleanora’s Academy of Magicka, crowned as the best institute on the continent of Elenora, is a prestigious magic academy for young wizards alike, to come and pit their magic and might against one another, in the competitive Ranking system the Academy puts them through, in order to polish and forge the Number 1 Ranked Wizard in all of Elenora.

Ken Granfold, a young curious mage who seeks to gain as much knowledge as possible, is enrolled in the famed academy by his Grandfather. During his time at the academy, Ken makes it his sole purpose to graduate as the Number 1 Ranked Wizard.

As Ken fights through the ranking system to be the best, he gains newfound knowledge of who he really is and makes new friends on the way.

CLICK HERE!!!!
Elenora's Academy of Magicka: Ken Granfold

PS, could you leave a review at my novel, thank you!

Last edited:

AdOtherwise

Owl Who Reads · Hoot Hoot
Hello there!
I was browsing the forums and saw Mr. OatMush's thread. I loved the concept, and thought I should volunteer my own services in this way and fashion. To note, I will do the same and tell you where my attention broke, and where I dropped it. However, I won't be able to give you beta-reader type feedback - just my general impressions.

Here's my background:
I like classics. I like drama - but I don't like melodrama, although a little bit of tugging on heartstrings is fine.
I am a devoted fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, G.R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, Ursula le Guin, Octavia Butler, Frank Herbert - the usual suspects really. But, I like that sort of classical fantasy. I would like to read stuff based nearer to that than say xianxia, although wuxia is definitely a good favourite of mine (Ashes of Time, anyone?).

I also like movies - so if your novel is like the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, or Kill Bill, or Whiplash - hit me up.

PPS. - Please do mention if I should leave a review AT your novel, or in this forum thread!

Leaving a review would be appreciated. I also want to say thank you for taking the time to do this. You are appreciated! :blob_aww:

D

Deleted member 133647

Hello there!

Here's my background:

check it in the signy, you can add it in this thread

patrick_lansing

Good day. If it is okay, please check my story and tell me your honest thoughts about why it is bad:

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/860302/a-rats-problems/
Hello! I dropped it in the first chapter.

I couldn't understand what was going on - basically, there's too much description. The trick, I feel, is to ground your reader, letting them fill out the gaps. Unfortunately, the description kept going on a bit too long, and my attention wandered. I reached till "I have a brother" part, then was disappointed with more information dump. I want something to happen, and nothing was happening. It's not that you need dialogue, but you need a way to keep a sense of curiosity in the reader's head - a trail of breadcrumbs if you will - to lead the reader on.

There was also some issue with your phrasing. You use a lot of adverbs, and some descriptions can be more suited to using more sentences. And example would be "exotic" in the sentence, "Ratcatcher, a young girl of exotic appearance". This by itself doesn't evoke any ideas in my head. "Exotic" - okay, I'm thinking of pina colada on a Caribbean beach. A paragraph later, I did understand her strange appearance, but it was a paragraph too late, and ... my mind has wandered away.

I also don't get to know what the Ratcatcher is thinking, what she wants, where she is going - I get to know a lot of information about them from your exposition, but I forgot it by the time some actual characters are introduced.

So, all in all, I think your concept is great - has potential, but you need a different scene to introduce it to me.

If I have to sum up anything, and also be impudent enough to actually offer some advice, it will be this: Write the story, not the description of the story. More story please, less description about things.

Now, this is very particular to my taste, so take it with a pinch of salt. Some people slurp Hot Sauce, some people die having it.

You're next in line, sir... madam ... person. Thing?

Here is the synopsis:

Eleanora’s Academy of Magicka, crowned as the best institute on the continent of Elenora, is a prestigious magic academy for young wizards alike, to come and pit their magic and might against one another, in the competitive Ranking system the Academy puts them through, in order to polish and forge the Number 1 Ranked Wizard in all of Elenora.

Ken Granfold, a young curious mage who seeks to gain as much knowledge as possible, is enrolled in the famed academy by his Grandfather. During his time at the academy, Ken makes it his sole purpose to graduate as the Number 1 Ranked Wizard.

As Ken fights through the ranking system to be the best, he gains newfound knowledge of who he really is and makes new friends on the way.

CLICK HERE!!!!
Well, I am back to leave a review. I think this is slowly becoming leave the review after the first chapter (I am kind of strapped for time).

I cross to chapter two, but then I saw you break the fourth wall - without it much being a fourth wall breaking story. To be specific :
"To help grasp Edna’s state of shock, one must understand the rank that Volterra bears."
I am not fond of that, to be very honest. I should have this promised to me - such as in Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - which is fine because it's comedic. Now, I'm not comparing, but that's just a great example of where such a break is done well. I found it very jarring.

And, also, it was broken to talk about the "Rank" of Volterra. ... Look, if you're into that sort of thing, I'm sure that's fun - but I would love to at least know it from a character. At that point, I barely know Volterra - I barely know the magic system - I barely understand the world - I don't want to know what the Ranking is. I don't understand it. It's not relevant to me, and ... my mind will wander, because it is jarring.

Speaking of jarring - I find tense changing to be the most difficult to read through. Even in chapter one, which I did complete - there were a lot of good things - Edna, Vivian, etc. - that was nice - but the sentence to sentence change of tense was ... very off putting, to put it mildly. I would urge you to identify it and change it.

I would also say that a lot of it felt like ... cardboard characters? Like, their dialogue didn't feel real. But, of course, that is just to me. It's always a broad challenge, but I almost always feel that some characters look like cardboard cutouts standing around in a conversation with just one or two lines. And it's almost always during group talks.

Anyway! I again say, these are just what I feel. It's not here to discourage you from writing.

Heck! I just read Chapter 3, after skipping chapter 2 unfortunately, but I found that interesting! There's a bandit. There's confrontation, there's excitement! There's TRAINS (I love trains). In fact, I was just wondering how awesome that would be as the first chapter! You know what, maybe I'll give chapter 4 a read, just because I SKIPPED chapter 2. So, anyway, you have it in you to write a great story. Keep on going!

Leaving a review would be appreciated. I also want to say thank you for taking the time to do this. You are appreciated! :blob_aww:
I am on to you. Watch me stalk your novel. Good news is I finished first chapter! I will take my time to review, only after my concentration breaks.

Last edited:
Hey! Interesting Idea bud. Could you review my novel Glitchborn. It's ongoing and I have a lot planned but would really like somebody to review it. It's in my signature. Also, leave a review on the novel itself.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
If you bored you can check my story and leave a review if you want.

PS: You can skip it.

OatMush

up to no good
VectorMotion-Image-231228_060408.jpeg

miyaskya

Hi, could you check out my story?
It is actually the novelization of a webcomic that I'm creating, so some chapters are shorter than others since they correspond to the comic episodes. You can leave a review on the novel itself. Thank you!

P.R.S

I would Love criticism and feedback of any kind

KingMusa

Hello! I dropped it in the first chapter.

I couldn't understand what was going on - basically, there's too much description. The trick, I feel, is to ground your reader, letting them fill out the gaps. Unfortunately, the description kept going on a bit too long, and my attention wandered. I reached till "I have a brother" part, then was disappointed with more information dump. I want something to happen, and nothing was happening. It's not that you need dialogue, but you need a way to keep a sense of curiosity in the reader's head - a trail of breadcrumbs if you will - to lead the reader on.

There was also some issue with your phrasing. You use a lot of adverbs, and some descriptions can be more suited to using more sentences. And example would be "exotic" in the sentence, "Ratcatcher, a young girl of exotic appearance". This by itself doesn't evoke any ideas in my head. "Exotic" - okay, I'm thinking of pina colada on a Caribbean beach. A paragraph later, I did understand her strange appearance, but it was a paragraph too late, and ... my mind has wandered away.

I also don't get to know what the Ratcatcher is thinking, what she wants, where she is going - I get to know a lot of information about them from your exposition, but I forgot it by the time some actual characters are introduced.

So, all in all, I think your concept is great - has potential, but you need a different scene to introduce it to me.

If I have to sum up anything, and also be impudent enough to actually offer some advice, it will be this: Write the story, not the description of the story. More story please, less description about things.

Now, this is very particular to my taste, so take it with a pinch of salt. Some people slurp Hot Sauce, some people die having it.

You're next in line, sir... madam ... person. Thing?

Well, I am back to leave a review. I think this is slowly becoming leave the review after the first chapter (I am kind of strapped for time).

I cross to chapter two, but then I saw you break the fourth wall - without it much being a fourth wall breaking story. To be specific :

I am not fond of that, to be very honest. I should have this promised to me - such as in Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - which is fine because it's comedic. Now, I'm not comparing, but that's just a great example of where such a break is done well. I found it very jarring.

And, also, it was broken to talk about the "Rank" of Volterra. ... Look, if you're into that sort of thing, I'm sure that's fun - but I would love to at least know it from a character. At that point, I barely know Volterra - I barely know the magic system - I barely understand the world - I don't want to know what the Ranking is. I don't understand it. It's not relevant to me, and ... my mind will wander, because it is jarring.

Speaking of jarring - I find tense changing to be the most difficult to read through. Even in chapter one, which I did complete - there were a lot of good things - Edna, Vivian, etc. - that was nice - but the sentence to sentence change of tense was ... very off putting, to put it mildly. I would urge you to identify it and change it.

I would also say that a lot of it felt like ... cardboard characters? Like, their dialogue didn't feel real. But, of course, that is just to me. It's always a broad challenge, but I almost always feel that some characters look like cardboard cutouts standing around in a conversation with just one or two lines. And it's almost always during group talks.

Anyway! I again say, these are just what I feel. It's not here to discourage you from writing.

Heck! I just read Chapter 3, after skipping chapter 2 unfortunately, but I found that interesting! There's a bandit. There's confrontation, there's excitement! There's TRAINS (I love trains). In fact, I was just wondering how awesome that would be as the first chapter! You know what, maybe I'll give chapter 4 a read, just because I SKIPPED chapter 2. So, anyway, you have it in you to write a great story. Keep on going!

I am on to you. Watch me stalk your novel. Good news is I finished first chapter! I will take my time to review, only after my concentration breaks.
Thank for taking the time to review my story!!

From the feedbacks I've gotten from these threads, one think all my feedbacks have in common is my tense changing. I'll do more study on it and see what I can do.

Thank you for the feedback!