I'd like to ask your opinion...

Should I divide my chapters into several parts?

• Yes

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

SailusGebel

There is only One reason for short chapters on web novel sites: Posting Schedule.
No.
Additionally, most of the web novels posted on these sites are translations of previously published Chinese, Korean, and Japanese novels and web novels. Some sites, such as: WuxiaBox and ReadHive, post Only translations.
No.
Translated web novels do tend to have short chapters because translations take time, and a week is not a lot of time to finish an entire chapter -- so they Don't. They translate what they can in that week, and post what they have ready.
This is also wrong, so I don't think there is any reason to continue this conversation.

Let's agree to disagree. Sorry for being rude.

Last edited:

greyliliy

Best writing advice I ever got was that chapters should be the length needed to get across what you want at that point in the story. So it's fine if one chapter is 1k and another is 5k and whatever in between.

I know that doesn't entirely work with serial fiction, where readers want some consistency, but I do think it still holds for the sake of variety.

I enjoy reading longer chapters. I'd personally like to see more variety in web novels on that front. Sometimes I'm in the mood for fast paced under 1k bites, and others I want to dig into prose.

It's all good. *throws confetti*

(In other words, I think you should keep your chapters 5k to 6k, but make use of scene breaks if needed.)