Idiot plot or realistic plot, pros and cons

Do you like idiot plots or prefer realistic plots

• I like reading idiot plots. I don't like writing them.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I like reading idiot plots. I like writing them

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I do not like reading idiot plots. I don't like writing them

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I do not like reading idiot plots. I like writing them

• I like reading idiot plots. I don't write

• I don't read or write

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Realistic plot or nothing

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • idiot plot or nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both are good to read and write

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Have you ever written, or read, a story where all the characters are just dumb enough to slow the progression of the plot, as whatever problem they face would be solved instantly if they were smarter? This is known as an Idiot Plot. The exact definition is "Any plot containing problems that would be solved instantly if all the characters were not idiots."

Because of how easy it is to write an idiot plot, I tried practicing with idiot plots. However, I tried not to make any of the characters obviously dumb. This somehow alters things just enough to somehow make a plot with realistic progression. The reader is learning everything along with the characters without any issues. How this happens? I don't know. I just want to make a bunch of chaotic dumbasses but instead all I do is make somewhat rational chaotic neutral characters.

Anyways, I digress. What are your thoughts on idiot plots and realistic plots in terms of writing and reading? Do you enjoy writing either of them and is it difficult or easy? Which is more fun or interesting to read. Would you rather have a wacky idiot Plot or a more realistic steady plot?

Corty

On Vacation, on Uranus
Where is the option for both?

Both are fun for both reading and writing purposes. But they need to be intentional. I don't like it when a serious plot comes off idiotic and vice versa.

Although reading an idiotic plot that the characters take seriously, yet the narrator ensures that we know it is for comedic purposes, is great fun.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Where is the option for both?

Both are fun for both reading and writing purposes. But they need to be intentional. I don't like it when a serious plot comes off idiotic and vice versa.

Although reading an idiotic plot that the characters take seriously, yet the narrator ensures that we know it is for comedic purposes, is great fun.
I added it at the bottom but option 2 was both. Though that is a good point.

beast_regards

Why we couldn't have idiot plot?

If the character should have flaws, why said flaws could be made either stupid, but at least less than optimal decision? It's a weakness, a character flaw. Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

Even considering the ever popular LitRPG, aren't dimwitted barbarians and even other character classes a part of every optimal RPG builds?

How many characters in the D&D have intelligence of 8 or so, when 10 is the average?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I like them. I write them, and I read them. To be fair, most plots will be idiot plots because an author is not omniscient.

2wordsperminute

I dislike the idea of them. But let's be honest, most games of D&D are just idiot plots. And those are pretty enjoyable.