'Idling' in Another World

Etsga

Do you know of a genre called "idle game"? It is apparently quite popular on mobile.

As a fully-functional normal human being, I tend to grow bored very easily, so I started downloading some of this "incremental game" and that "clicker game." And knowing of my limited asset of a phone and a laptop, it's either I play these freebies on my phone or trade my laptop for a copy of MHW Iceborne and crash over my friend's house to play it since PS4 is way over my budget.

The answer's obvious, I chose the latter.

Just kidding, I chose both.

Still, no regrets.

Anyway, I found the idea for these games to be pretty interesting. And I was wondering, have anyone actually made a story based on this concept?

- ProC

Last edited:

GeriatricTools

Haven’t heard of a story written about an idle game, but it can be like a niche sort of story that is based after a game that stand out from mostly VRMMORPG stories. It would be hard to make it stay interesting for long, because idle clicker games don’t usually have fast paced drama or an overarching plot line, and it would likely have the MC just amass huge amounts of money or upgrading themselves or a building for example to earn more currency.

But it’ll be nice reading a relaxed slow paced story for once, watching the protagonist make steady progress. I can’t find any idle game stories online... ok now this is kinda sad :blob_upset:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The closest I could think to an idle game story is psychological horror.

Try it out.

Etsga

Well, I suppose the most interesting part of an idle game is the "reset" part where you literally sacrifice all your hard-earned gold or whatever currencies you're using for "premium upgrades." I think it's pretty funny to see a weak MC grow extremely strong in, like, half a month and then they 'accidentally' reset their progress.

Wait, I'm such a sadist author.

- ProC

Last edited: