If a work of fiction exists as such in a story, does that story count as fanfiction?

SternenklarenRitter

For example, the PreCure franchise becomes a central plot element in "Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni!", but the characters and settings exist only as anime (and associated media and merchandise) as they do in reality. Do you consider this fanfiction?

Yati

I consider something fanfiction if you need to know the plot of other works presented in the story, to understand the story.
If it is mentioned, but the knowledge needed to follow the story about the other work is provided, I would just call it a reference, a nod or a homage, and not a fanfic.

Titanoktonon

Technically, it's PrePure, which is legally distinct from PreCure, in such a way that they can make up what happens in the show without risking being sued for misusing intellectual property or something. So I say no, not fanfiction.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
For example, the PreCure franchise becomes a central plot element in "Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni!", but the characters and settings exist only as anime (and associated media and merchandise) as they do in reality. Do you consider this fanfiction?
Do you mean fanfic or original series?
Fanfic is a fan or another author version of an original series like Overlord, etc.
Fiction
It is not fanfic as long as the series and concepts are original that like any series that happens differently from common series in every media.

Last edited:

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
No, because it could be substituted with any other piece of media. It is, how you described it, more of a reference. The Simpsons does similar things occasionally, and they are not fanfic.

darkpikacha

I mean if you use stuff old stories in the public domain like all the Nord mythology(Thor, world serpent ect) won't be counted as fan fiction since it's free to use. Which is why DC and Marvel has their own versions of Thor. Unless you are basing off on their version, then it's fan fiction.