If somehow I go to past and kill my grandfather before my father was born then I did I kill my grandfather?

Daichi

This is a paradox which have puzzled me for years. Anybody have any possible explanations?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This is a paradox which have puzzled me for years. Anybody have any possible explanations?
You just created another universe where your dad was never born, and neither are you. It has to be that way because you cant have no origin. You need to have been born to kill your grandfather. So your universe isnt effected. Its like the whole thing with Trunks going back to kill Cell. His world didnt change, but there is now a universe where the z warriors defeated cell.

The only other explanation is if by going back in time you removed yourself from time and now exist outside of time, meaning you arent effected by changes in time or at least the time stream that affects your own birth.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Yes, if you kill your grandfather, you have killed your grandfather.

...I either don't understand what you're asking or you messed up your question half way through.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Yes, if you kill your grandfather, you have killed your grandfather.

...I either don't understand what you're asking or you messed up your question half way through.
His question is essentially that if he killed his grandfather before his father was born, he can't exist since there's no one to give birth to him so if he didn't exist, did anyone kill his grandfather? It's a paradox. I agree with what Cupcake said.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Then the answer is we just can't know yet. Ask again once time travel has been invented and someone tries it out. :blob_uwu:

ChubbyLiv

Of course you did, the moment you kill your grandfather, you'll slowly die with him, slowly disappearing into nothingness. Because at the same time, you killed the possibility to be born.

That's if you're blood related. 👌 Who knows maybe your father was adopted. Yup, the future will change, but there's a possibility that you'll exist, somehow.

Arkus86

Depends on which theory about time travel you apply.
1. The paradox you mention
2. Multiverse - You killed your grandfather, which only created another parallel universe in which you never existed, but your original timeline is still intact.
3. The past is set and cannot be changed - no matter what you do, it won't change the past because it all already happened. Either you fail to kill your grandfather before he impregnates your grandmother, or the person you killed was not your biological grandfather.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Yeah, what Cupcake said. Either that or the universe implodes as soon as you kill him because the paradox breaks the system.

Daichi

You just created another universe where your dad was never born, and neither are you. It has to be that way because you cant have no origin. You need to have been born to kill your grandfather. So your universe isnt effected. Its like the whole thing with Trunks going back to kill Cell. His world didnt change, but there is now a universe where the z warriors defeated cell.

The only other explanation is if by going back in time you removed yourself from time and now exist outside of time, meaning you arent effected by changes in time or at least the time stream that affects your own birth.
Multiverse theory. This is possible but we never know. Some people say Mnadela effect happens because other universe sometimes collide with other universe creating the illusion that something exist whereas there is no such thing. To be honest this quite interesting.

Daichi

There is one more scenario where this paradox exist. It goes like this, you are a upcoming writer but you don't know what to write. You have a time machine and you went to your future self and took a copy of book written by you which is successful. In the present you publish that book and become successful. Now the question is if you got the copy from future and simply copied it then who created it in the first place?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Time paradoxes are well... Paradoxes. They aren't supposed to make sense.

No need to give it too much thought.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I don't see the issue with this conclusion. :blob_evil_two: Where is the paradox, Daichi?

Kldran

Someone made a video game with time travel. It's an RTS. In that game it is possible to send a unit back in time to destroy the building that created it before it was created. Due to the game using time waves to propagate changes, doing so causes the timeline to alternate between the one where the unit is made, and one where it isn't.