If you don't like the author of a story...

Kenjona

I admit there are authors I have loved in the past whose books I adored. But, found out information about them later, that made me place their books on the nope never list; such as "Marion Zimmer Bradley". Otherwise even if their personal politics are something I disagree with, I still read them "J.K Rowling" for example.

Le_ther

... Will you still read their stories if you like it? There are some famous authors with problematic attitude out there, does it discourage you from reading their works? What will you do if they keep replying to your comment with an insult and you know they are not being tsundere?
I mean I sometimes hates author because either their novel has some annoying propagandas or they ruined their own character for no reason.

Horizon42

... Will you still read their stories if you like it? There are some famous authors with problematic attitude out there, does it discourage you from reading their works? What will you do if they keep replying to your comment with an insult and you know they are not being tsundere?
No, it doesn't bother me.

Respect your enemies and hate the sin, not the sinner.

araragi

For me, I don't really pro-actively search for author online. So, most of the time, I am unaware of who is writing the stories apart from their fictional username. However, If I do get to know their opinions that I think to be wrong, I wouldn't stop reading. As long as they are not being disrespectful, I am fine reading their stories. However, if they reply my comment with an insult, it might not make me hate them but it will turn my excitement down for the story and I might not even read further.

Continuing to read a story is based on so many factors that it is difficult to put into words but in short as long as I am excited about the story and where it is going, I might keep reading. If somethings lead to allaying my excitement, I will stop reading.

strayCat0

Other
I do read Lovecraft's and I do read Rurouni Kenshin manga
When I read that Douluo Dalu's author incited his readers to massively report reverend insanity's author... my ideas to read his books went instantly away.
I don't know why, but I honestly always assumed TJSS was one of the stable ones by reading his writing style. Ironic cause he reported Reverend Insanity's author. I wonder if this was also connected to RI's banning

Daitengu

Wouldn't learning from this kind of situation be knowing when to not speak (leaving no comment)?

Pretty sure I can disregard a rando author who I don't know the life of for their works. Because, unfortunately, we don't usually get the biography of authors so that we can put their ramblings into context.

And for the ones we do, like Marx, we can better context his communist manifesto with his laziness and unwillingness to work. Or even Lovecraft, cause racism and eugenics was really popular at the time. A real shame not every country got over it. Personally I prefer post Lovecraft Chuthulu mythos more. Too much of his supremacy and neck bearding bled into his stuff.

bigbear51

This is just a hating Lovecraft thread and people still wonder about my progressive comment.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Wait, you guys look up the author?

If i like a story I don't care if it was written by an extremist excrement, some selfdestructive feminist or a jewish alien-zombie. If it's good, it's good

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It depends.

I don't mind reading works from an old and already dead author whose morals I heavily disagree with... Like, Lovecraft sucks, but his views on things were also affected by the time period he lived in and stuff... So... I just don't care too much?
I still don't read Lovecraft stuff because I just don't like the themes, but it's not Lovecraft's views that would stop me from reading.

JK Rowling on the other hand...? Yeah, I'm not ever reading anything from that one. I don't care about the art if the artist stinks. There is other art I can consume instead.

Katsuya

I would probably not to read it no more. I mean, sometimes, even if the story ain't the best, if the authors nice, it makes you want to read it.

The author kinda sets an aura/feeling to/for the series- thats for me. If the aura to is bad, no point in reading it/it won't be interesting.

If I really like their story then sure, I'd probably still read it. If I don't then thats a drop for me. Probably.
Yes, I hate all my favorite authors.
Wow, really? dang. (I guess i'm lucky im not in that category, whew.)