If you don't like the author of a story...

Monaka

... Will you still read their stories if you like it? There are some famous authors with problematic attitude out there, does it discourage you from reading their works? What will you do if they keep replying to your comment with an insult and you know they are not being tsundere?

farmer

At most, I would pirate their stuff if they weren't free already. I'd definitely still read them if I like them. If they show unappreciation to my comments they I'd just stop commenting, as anyone should.

kyen_

For me, I would base it on the author's attitude level and my desire to read the respective novel.

If the author is a complete sucker and I really wanted to read the novel, I would read it normally, but without supporting it.

If the author is a complete sucker and I'm not very interested in the novel, I'd just ignore them both and move on with my life.

Degoneth

Oh! Here we are with one of the greatest dilemmas. Not just for writers.

It's like art for art or art's sake or art for society.
Imagine an artist making his/her art for art's sake. Then he/she doesn't going to give a damn about people. Maybe he is just shy, or maybe arrogant and rude.
Maybe it is a band you like but politically different or directly hostile to your motherland?

Yeah, just like other people say I read, listen, watch them but don't support monetarily.

But remember, nowadays, watching, reading or even mentioning someone is a good way to publicize them and get them better commercial opportunities.

So yeah, you can't decide what you like sometimes but you can decide not to pay. Still even then you will be helping them in some way or another.

EternalSunset0

... Will you still read their stories if you like it? There are some famous authors with problematic attitude out there, does it discourage you from reading their works? What will you do if they keep replying to your comment with an insult and you know they are not being tsundere?
I will still read if I like the actual work. Probably not support the person as much, but I don't boycott series or anything just because of the author.

However, if they keep insulting my comments and such, I'll probably just stop commenting.

CL

Would I read their story? Yes, but when I have my mind occupied with their comments, specifically when they directed insults towards me, I won't be capable of reading their story with the intended experience. They burnt a bridge and I can't immerse myself any longer into their minds without feeling burnt too.

Daitengu

Sensibilities and morals change overtime. I think it is up to us to learn from the past so that we can stand on the shoulders of past creators.

As such, I'm quite willing to consume and process the works of even people I don't like or agree with. I would rather learn from an enemy than repeat their mistakes.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
It definitely does lessen the story's appeal. But if you enjoy the story, then keep reading. If you can't have a productive discussion, then avoid commenting.

If reading the story reminds you of them, and you aren't enjoying it, then throw it away. Or make something better.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Kill them.

Attachments

• E6FB83C4-3CC7-498F-B7F2-B7590FCBB3F7.png
    E6FB83C4-3CC7-498F-B7F2-B7590FCBB3F7.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 22

CL

Sensibilities and morals change overtime. I think it is up to us to learn from the past so that we can stand on the shoulders of past creators.

As such, I'm quite willing to consume and process the works of even people I don't like or agree with. I would rather learn from an enemy than repeat their mistakes.
Wouldn't learning from this kind of situation be knowing when to not speak (leaving no comment)?

TotallyHuman

S. King, iirc, was a drug addict, so I personally would not like him. I would still read a story if I liked the premise. I, myself, am a shit person, but some people read what I have written and said they liked it. I see no reason for taking it so seriously. When you're hungry you are going to eat even food offered by an enemy.