I'm not doing well

Vaerama

That masochism tag, I very much want it. I could replace ‘sentimental protagonist’ with it easily enough, it’s probably a better way to lure poor unsuspecting folks into my web...

But I won’t take it anyways, for even though I’ve immolated my MC and made her self cannibalize (which she ‘liked’): people would probably be annoyed with me for not having an explicitly sexual story to go with it.

I’ve only got it implicitly, and couched in language which I would have figured to be a hard sell for the group of persons who might be perusing that tag. At least, that was the... plan. Someone on RRL still commented last chapter (my *only* commenter so far on that chapter on either site) saying it gave them ‘lesbian magic’, which I can only imagine means that it appealed in that manner to someone. I had to emergency go over that chapter twice fruitlessly to see if I’d left (or even put) anything ‘explicit’ into the text, but having not found any: I can’t make a tag change entirely because of one reader’s interests.

So you don’t have to worry about your competition for that tag increasing at my hand, at least! :)

Facebook tells me every day that I could reach up to 1000 or 1500 some people if I gave them like 10 dollars. I’m not sure why it varies on the day, but it does.

Sure, I could do that. It probably isn’t even a ‘bad’ idea, in terms of securing the kind of viewership I’d need to get trending. But I’m reluctant to do that, because if I simply write more chapters: I suspect my story will grow regardless. This looks to be true enough of your story, even if it might feel slow at times.

Sometimes you don’t think you’ve had any growth overnight after posting a chapter, so you disappointedly look at your readers list which hasn’t moved, only to find that you actually must have lost one and gained one, because a new one went through and favorited *every* chapter o__o This kind of thing’ll probably happen over time to you as well as you keep on posting.

If I ever see the sadomasochism tag, however... 😍 I might not be able to resist it! :D Got an MC *and* a villain counterpart who very much deserve it 😅

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
That masochism tag, I very much want it. I could replace ‘sentimental protagonist’ with it easily enough, it’s probably a better way to lure poor unsuspecting folks into my web...

But I won’t take it anyways, for even though I’ve immolated my MC and made her self cannibalize (which she ‘liked’): people would probably be annoyed with me for not having an explicitly sexual story to go with it.

I’ve only got it implicitly, and couched in language which I would have figured to be a hard sell for the group of persons who might be perusing that tag. At least, that was the... plan. Someone on RRL still commented last chapter (my *only* commenter so far on that chapter on either site) saying it gave them ‘lesbian magic’, which I can only imagine means that it appealed in that manner to someone. I had to emergency go over that chapter twice fruitlessly to see if I’d left (or even put) anything ‘explicit’ into the text, but having not found any: I can’t make a tag change entirely because of one reader’s interests.

So you don’t have to worry about your competition for that tag increasing at my hand, at least! :)

Facebook tells me every day that I could reach up to 1000 or 1500 some people if I gave them like 10 dollars. I’m not sure why it varies on the day, but it does.

Sure, I could do that. It probably isn’t even a ‘bad’ idea, in terms of securing the kind of viewership I’d need to get trending. But I’m reluctant to do that, because if I simply write more chapters: I suspect my story will grow regardless. This looks to be true enough of your story, even if it might feel slow at times.

Sometimes you don’t think you’ve had any growth overnight after posting a chapter, so you disappointedly look at your readers list which hasn’t moved, only to find that you actually must have lost one and gained one, because a new one went through and favorited *every* chapter o__o This kind of thing’ll probably happen over time to you as well as you keep on posting.

If I ever see the sadomasochism tag, however... 😍 I might not be able to resist it! :D Got an MC *and* a villain counterpart who very much deserve it 😅
Some of my readers suggested me to sail the HMS Yuri openly. No idea what I should make of that. :blob_evil_two:

Anyway, what is sometimes depressing though is the fact that the view count of my story moves, but not the reader count. People seem to flock around everything, but it doesn't seem to work for me. At least, I got some positive comments after poking them accordingly.

Vaerama

Some of my readers suggested me to sail the HMS Yuri openly. No idea what I should make of that. :blob_evil_two:

I mean, I think I do? Got the GL tag right up top and everything. RRL doesn't have one, so I noted it in the summary. Hasn't hit trending, so whether I'll be proven right or wrong on that decision (RRL thinks those tags are 'content warnings' that'll hotbutton downvotes/bad reviews, as it were. I disagree wholeheartedly: its a niche that's ever-wanting for more content I think, and I cannot sustain the belief that people are so extremely passionately hateful at all times, as how else could so-called 'lolis' with *shudders* 'artistic' covers still remain above 1 star otherwise?) remains 'unknown'.

IDK if it's just people 'shipping' your characters, or if there's anything deeper to that in your story, so I can't say what should be made of it, because I simply don't know.

Anyway, what is sometimes depressing though is the fact that the view count of my story moves, but not the reader count. People seem to flock around everything, but it doesn't seem to work for me. At least, I got some positive comments after poking them accordingly.

Polls do seem to drive people towards interaction.

@D4isuke: you should try polls, they're at least semi-likely to see a response, and additionally: they sometimes drive people to comment who otherwise might not have. Silliness in Polls used to work for me better on a forum long ago than serious polls were (yknow, the ones that could actually be helpful to the author). No guarantees, because there never are... but interaction is usually a good thing :)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

My reader count never got very high either, but I'm happy as long as I get views! \(^^)/

Vaerama

Hehehe, the nigh phase ends soon. ^^ I wonder what we will get.

Vaerama, the innocent bystander, was found torn to little pieces up in an oak tree, almost as if she'd been murdered by the resident werewolf/vampire/serial killer/oogie boogie/assassin/ghost-of-possession/secret agent/splinter cell/skinsuit-wearing-murder-hobo.

Whatever game ya'll are playin, maybe what you'll get is a break from the murder-death-killing of your precious town population. :D It's what I'd ask fer if I had to live somewhere that had night phases.

For me, night phases are for sleep and such! :D

Assurbanipal_II

Vaerama, the innocent bystander, was found torn to little pieces up in an oak tree, almost as if she'd been murdered by the resident werewolf/vampire/serial killer/oogie boogie/assassin/ghost-of-possession/secret agent/splinter cell/skinsuit-wearing-murder-hobo.

Whatever game ya'll are playin, maybe what you'll get is a break from the murder-death-killing of your precious town population. :D It's what I'd ask fer if I had to live somewhere that had night phases.

Playing currently and strategizing how to get a draw. :blob_evil_two:

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I mean, I think I do? Got the GL tag right up top and everything. RRL doesn't have one, so I noted it in the summary. Hasn't hit trending, so whether I'll be proven right or wrong on that decision (RRL thinks those tags are 'content warnings' that'll hotbutton downvotes/bad reviews, as it were. I disagree wholeheartedly: its a niche that's ever-wanting for more content I think, and I cannot sustain the belief that people are so extremely passionately hateful at all times, as how else could so-called 'lolis' with *shudders* 'artistic' covers still remain above 1 star otherwise?) remains 'unknown'.

IDK if it's just people 'shipping' your characters, or if there's anything deeper to that in your story, so I can't say what should be made of it, because I simply don't know.

Polls do seem to drive people towards interaction.

@D4isuke: you should try polls, they're at least semi-likely to see a response, and additionally: they sometimes drive people to comment who otherwise might not have. Silliness in Polls used to work for me better on a forum long ago than serious polls were (yknow, the ones that could actually be helpful to the author). No guarantees, because there never are... but interaction is usually a good thing :)

I don't know, but if some comments have it on my fiction, then I would start the poll.... plus I'm not fan doing silly things in poll

Vaerama

Ahhh, right, that was what it was called. Mafia. Forgot all about mafia.

I love games, don't get me wrong, but if I play them: I'll never get to writing, which I love even more :) It's already bad enough that I enjoy forums, if only for the nostalgia of what having a social life is like ^__^

I don't know, but if some comments have it on my fiction, then I would start the poll.... plus I'm not fan doing silly things in poll
Alternately, there's also using and abusing the authors notes to drive comments. Idk how well it works, but probably better than just making comments I guess. I've only been getting comments on my latest chapters for a while now, which is probably 'typical' behavior, so it doesn't surprise me too much. Who knows what phenomenon causes dozens of comments on the initial couple of chapters of some works? :D

Kldran

Your writing can be atrocious, but you will still get a high view count as long as you write about the right topics.

Never believe even for a second that quality matters for popularity. It truly doesn't. :blob_reach:
Realizing this is why I started writing. I realized a lot of the works I was enjoying reading, were really badly written, and thought: I can probably write something as bad as that.

If one wants to actively chase popularity, one method is to make a lot of short story starts, and see which ones are the most popular. I've got a nonsense pile that I put random things I write in, and seeing what's most popular in there helps me gauge how much people like different ideas to some extent.

AliceShiki

But stabby stab is so fun~

I would have made the game a draw already if some of the players were more active and did the thing they were supposed to do... >.>

Right now there are still chances of someone winning though, so I have to wait... >.>
Ahhh, right, that was what it was called. Mafia. Forgot all about mafia.

I love games, don't get me wrong, but if I play them: I'll never get to writing, which I love even more :) It's already bad enough that I enjoy forums, if only for the nostalgia of what having a social life is like ^__^
It's a mafia-like game, but it has its own uniqueness! Like stabby stabs! \(^^)/

And I get the feeling of wanting to avoid games because they get me away from writing... It happens too often to me... :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely:

Forums are also super fun! \(^^)/

Assurbanipal_II

But stabby stab is so fun~

I would have made the game a draw already if some of the players were more active and did the thing they were supposed to do... >.>

Right now there are still chances of someone winning though, so I have to wait... >.>

It's a mafia-like game, but it has its own uniqueness! Like stabby stabs! \(^^)/

And I get the feeling of wanting to avoid games because they get me away from writing... It happens too often to me... :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely:

Forums are also super fun! \(^^)/

:blob_teary: Yes, I know and my cards are bad.

AliceShiki

Why do i feel personally attacked?
Ah, not that much tbh. You had a strategy at least... It wasn't a good strategy for sure, but it was a strategy.

I was more annoyed at the people that simply weren't showing up and lost their chances to do something meaningful with their actions and stuff.