I'm not doing well

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Well......... I did write fine and suck at the same time. I got overpassed by the newer ones who got more rating, reader counts, and views than I do (even they start it better than me).... at least..... I cannot think straight for some reason..... looks like I have to go through tons of shit....... shits getting dark now

Zeeksi

I recommend just stop comparing yourself to other authors, some people that start posting after you will have done better but there will be plenty of people that have posted before you that have done worse.

You don't know all the reasons why some people's stories are doing much better than yours, it could simply be down to them advertising in more places to get views, linking their wide circle of friends or simply the alignment of the sun and the moon was more favourable when they started posting their story.

While this might sound mean, are you only posting your story for views or because you want to tell a story?

It seems like you're almost expecting overnight success which is rare and your stats aren't that bad, I think mine were worse during the early stages.

The only stat I look at regularly is the avg views per chapter and that is always going up.

well, I haven't completely read your novel, but your writing is quite good than some of the other beginner authors. I think you should only release a chapter a day. I see you've posted 4 chaps in one day and none on some other day. readers can't find your novel if it doesn't show up at the latest updates. Any novel which is newly updated gets shown in the latest update for a maximum of 4 hours, any more, and readers won't bother scrolling down. If your novel gets exposure of at least 4 hours a day, I'm sure your readers will increase.

PS: I think your paragraphs are way too long, making it hard to read. Cut it down a little.

D4isuke

While this might sound mean, are you only posting your story for views or because you want to tell a story?

It seems like you're almost expecting overnight success which is rare and your stats aren't that bad, I think mine were worse during the early stages.

No, I was expecting that it'll be good, but my mood suddenly went down for some reason... I do understand your point, but my feelings are quite eccentric.

well, I haven't completely read your novel, but your writing is quite good than some of the other beginner authors. I think you should only release a chapter a day. I see you've posted 4 chaps in one day and none on some other day. readers can't find your novel if it doesn't show up at the latest updates. Any novel which is newly updated gets shown in the latest update for a maximum of 4 hours, any more, and readers won't bother scrolling down. If your novel gets exposure of at least 4 hours a day, I'm sure your readers will increase.

PS: I think your paragraphs are way too long, making it hard to read. Cut it down a little.

Yeah, but I can't suffice to keep it because I need to think straight, decent, harder, and consistent. Keeping that kind of exposure is kinda difficult to challenge, but if i would do that, my writings might be a little rush and cause some bit of plot holes.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My man, you've finally reached the point in your writing career where you'll face the true reason behind your hobby.

What are you writing for?

Is it because you're inspired by the media you see? Is it because you want to create something as magical as the things that enchanted you in the first place?

Is it because you saw all the fan arts and AUs these other stories have gotten, and that you want in on the fame? Is it because you saw how well liked and famous these stories are and that you too, want people to do something in the honour of your name?

Is it because you wanted to create something new, and that you wanted to test the medium and see how far you can take it in order to present your imagination and message by stretching the platform to its absolute limit?

This is the point where you find out why you're writing and what you're writing for. Be honest with yourself. If you're truly writing to bring out a story, you won't be competing in views. You'd be competing in terms of quality. But, if you're really doing it for the fame, then I suggest you do some research on the popular titles and see what sort of things they're doing and copy just that.

No, I was expecting that it'll be good, but my mood suddenly went down for some reason... I do understand your point, but my feelings are quite eccentric.

Yeah, but I can't suffice to keep it because I need to think straight, decent, harder, and consistent. Keeping that kind of exposure is kinda difficult to challenge, but if i would do that, my writings might be a little rush and cause some bit of plot holes.
i meant you should stockpile and release only a chap a day.
1587712364079.png

5 chaps in apr 15(even if you released 5 chaps at the same time, it isn't gonna attract more readers, stockpile so your novel gets consistent updates even when you don't want to write.
5 chaps in 16 (it still isn't gonna increase you readers, stockpile for some rainy day.
no chaps in apr 19(you probably didn't get any exposure that day, if you had stockpiled, you could still update that day, being consistent.
and then you haven't uploaded for two whole days, missing two days worth of exposure

I actually didn't get your point so i replied in this primitive way... :ROFLMAO:

D4isuke

i meant you should stockpile and release only a chap a day.
View attachment 2562
5 chaps in apr 15(even if you released 5 chaps at the same time, it isn't gonna attract more readers, stockpile so your novel gets consistent updates even when you don't want to write.
5 chaps in 16 (it still isn't gonna increase you readers, stockpile for some rainy day.
no chaps in apr 19(you probably didn't get any exposure that day, if you had stockpiled, you could still update that day, being consistent.
and then you haven't uploaded for two whole days, missing two days worth of exposure

I actually didn't get your point so i replied in this primitive way... :ROFLMAO:

I stop stockpiling around that time (April 19) because I was still writing to that particular day. But yeah, keeping exposure is hard. Totally hard to keep it daily as I need more ideas to think before writing in relation to the plot development

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well......... I did write fine and suck at the same time. I got overpassed by the newer ones who got more rating, reader counts, and views than I do (even they start it better than me).... at least..... I cannot think straight for some reason..... looks like I have to go through tons of shit....... shits getting dark now
To be honest with you, if you are a new writer and never post anything before, not in wattpad, Royalroadl or any other blogs, get ready to fail, fail, fail and fail. Be prepared that your story takes fire, don't expect it to be a success but be ready for it to come under fire. Kind of the reason why I don't wanted to post anything because I am scared of the negative reviews. But to be honest, you sometimes need these reviews to try and polish up on your work and get ready for your next one. I have seen people that posted their "first" work on SH and get massive great responses, only to notice that they have a patreon a long time ago and maybe had posted somewhere in the net like AO3 or RRL, these people who liked their work in SH are their diehard fans, so don't get sappy, get creative and improve on your work once more.

D4isuke

To be honest with you, if you are a new writer and never post anything before, not in wattpad, Royalroadl or any other blogs, get ready to fail, fail, fail and fail. Be prepared that your story takes fire, don't expect it to be a success but be ready for it to come under fire. Kind of the reason why I don't wanted to post anything because I am scared of the negative reviews. But to be honest, you sometimes need these reviews to try and polish up on your work and get ready for your next one. I have seen people that posted their "first" work on SH and get massive great responses, only to notice that they have a patreon a long time ago and maybe had posted somewhere in the net like AO3 or RRL, these people who liked their work in SH are their diehard fans, so don't get sappy, get creative and improve on your work once more.

Really? I didn't notice that... I feel jealous for a bit, but I kinda understand the situation... but I still got no feedbacks or comments as I'm trying to identify the errors within my chapter. Sometimes, I voluntarily edited some texts for more detail and stuff, and waited for any reactions to face any criticism, acknowledgement, or anything else beneficial.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
My man, you've finally reached the point in your writing career where you'll face the true reason behind your hobby.

What are you writing for?

Is it because you're inspired by the media you see? Is it because you want to create something as magical as the things that enchanted you in the first place?

Is it because you saw all the fan arts and AUs these other stories have gotten, and that you want in on the fame? Is it because you saw how well liked and famous these stories are and that you too, want people to do something in the honour of your name?

Is it because you wanted to create something new, and that you wanted to test the medium and see how far you can take it in order to present your imagination and message by stretching the platform to its absolute limit?

This is the point where you find out why you're writing and what you're writing for. Be honest with yourself. If you're truly writing to bring out a story, you won't be competing in views. You'd be competing in terms of quality. But, if you're really doing it for the fame, then I suggest you do some research on the popular titles and see what sort of things they're doing and copy just that.
Well i cant speak for the other guy, but i write for the shits and giggles. Also for the boners, cuz i enjoy writin' steamy action. And the weed, cuz that gets my creative juices flowin and then i HAVE to write. Sometimes i get bribed with pastries and so then i feel obligated to. But yeah. Mainly for my own pleasure.

Bruh like someone said stop worrying about it. Write your own shit and keep your focus there. You dont see me comparing myself to Sanderson, Shakespeare or King or Hemingway, do you? Even tho i wake up in the morning and piss more excellence than they've seen in their lives and have more creative masterpieces in my left nut than they all have in their entire bodies combined.

...Im slightly exaggerting here, i admit....but lemme tell you, this is just the kinda shameless confidence you need to not be one of those authors who compare themselves to other authors who are doing better and end up depressed pansies who stop writing just cuz they can't take a little failure or criticism. Build that thick skin, laddie.

Anyway. Yeah. Long as your readers continue to like your work, why does it matter if other authors do better? There are always gonna be people who do better than you regardless. Maybe your next work will be more popular. Maybe you learn and write it better this time around. Maybe your characters are more fleshed out than the ones in your last story. Perhaps it will be more mainstream, or have more originality that is better recieved. Who knows?

Just FINISH YOUR FUCKING CURRENT STORY YOU LITTLE TWAT.

Cuz no one likes a quitter. Dont be like that Lim Dal-Young (is that how you spell it? Is that his name?) author guy who always leaves half finished work.

Concentrate on your own shit. If you think its bad, make it better as you go along. Research this shit, dude. Aint no excuse for not learning how to male it better if you really have gripes about it. You can even do a rewrite if you want.

Point is, grow some thick skin, some chest hair, and dont worry what other people be doin'. Maybe take inspiration from other authors, but dont compare yourself to em and get all depressed

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

Some personal advice, posting time and the number of chapters that you publish don't really matter. They have some influence, but only a minor one as there are many stories out there - successful ones - that break these iron rules blatantly.

Anyway, there is an author here on scribblehub in fact whose first work I read with interest. It wasn't really successful and so it was one day discontinued after being "finished". The same author published two other works then with basically the same writing style - grammar and style didn't really change - and some better marketing, but these stories were suddenly successful. Extremely successful and I see them often among the trending page now.

Since then, I often ask myself what makes a successful story? And the answer is, it is the plot and nothing else. Your writing can be atrocious, but you will still get a high view count as long as you write about the right topics.

Never believe even for a second that quality matters for popularity. It truly doesn't. :blob_reach:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Speak for yourself bro my first work does fine in all those...except wattpad but that is an entirely different beast. Like its wayyy different and you need to actually learn how to advertise your work and do network with people and im too lazy for that.

That aside, my first ACTUALLY PUBLISHED work is a bit weird and you either really love it or really hate it. So lets just say this: in contrast to how that one is, i can write well. I am objective in that. I know i can write well, cuz i have been taught how to write well and i can even copy other authors styles pretty well too if i read enough of their works. So i dont lack confidence in making that statement.

That said, i think that most authors who can also write well but dont do that great just dont work on their stories enough? Like me for me example, i have other stories that are more traditional (one littered with my own fetishes, mind you, but still a traditional adult romance kinda story), but i rarely update them. So its like that, yeah? If i updated them more often they would do a lot better. I think authors just dont do that with their stories.

They may write well enough but if they dont work on their story and get it out there, dont advertise the story and dont even finish it, and have slow update schedules or no schedule that they stick to....then people wont be inclined to read it.

I really think thats why most authors who maybe can write well end up not doing well.

That also said, i was never like some of these other first time authors i see. I mean that in the way of how they write. Like i see inexperienced writers using awkwardly worded phrases all the time. I dont really remember a lot of times i did that in any stuff i wrote seriously. And I think thats entirely due to me having read so many well-written books. I learned a lot from other much more experienced authors before i even wanted to write my own stories. Im also a native english speaker so i have no trouble there.

So...i think maybe im a bit different case from writers who ARENT native English speakers or who havent had a lot of really good models to learn from, or who just cant easily write scenes how they want them to be protrayed just due to a lack of vocabulary or whatever. I've always known what i wanted to write and how i wanted it to come out and i had a lot of examples to choose from that i could use to achieve that. Like i said i was taught, too.

Which is just to say, i think i had a better starting point, or foundation, for being a writer than some of the other authors i see. So i dont really hold them to a standard and say, "oh well your story is just total garbage you shouldnt be writing" cuz thats just unfair and stupid and acting like a person cant improve themselves. Or that they have to pander to me just cuz i may not like a certain aspect of their story or their writing style.

I will call out bullshit tho. Like if a character is being an unreasonable cunt for no reason, or its too obvious the author is forcing situstions, THEN I call the author a mfker. Lim Dal-Young for example forces situations alot, and makes characters who were originally reasonable suddenly stupid for no other reasons that to move the plot along.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
shits getting dark now

Dark shits could be an indication of blood in your feces. You may want to seek medical attention.

It takes time to build up a following. The popular stories may be from authors who have already built up a following on other stories. My advice is to find something that makes you stand out from the crowd. When I first got here, the first few people rated my story as one star, so I decided to live it up and take pride in having the lowest-rated story here.

Jemini

lol, your viewership curve actually looks 100% identical to mine when I first started my own series, right down to the early peak and the later bumps. The first early chapters always get a stronger peak due to exposure in the "new series" list on the front page. The drop is just because you're off that one now. You just gotta keep writing and writing well.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Speak for yourself bro my first work does fine in all those...except wattpad but that is an entirely different beast. Like its wayyy different and you need to actually learn how to advertise your work and do network with people and im too lazy for that.

That aside, my first ACTUALLY PUBLISHED work is a bit weird and you either really love it or really hate it. So lets just say this: in contrast to how that one is, i can write well. I am objective in that. I know i can write well, cuz i have been taught how to write well and i can even copy other authors styles pretty well too if i read enough of their works. So i dont lack confidence in making that statement.

That said, i think that most authors who can also write well but dont do that great just dont work on their stories enough? Like me for me example, i have other stories that are more traditional (one littered with my own fetishes, mind you, but still a traditional adult romance kinda story), but i rarely update them. So its like that, yeah? If i updated them more often they would do a lot better. I think authors just dont do that with their stories.

They may write well enough but if they dont work on their story and get it out there, dont advertise the story and dont even finish it, and have slow update schedules or no schedule that they stick to....then people wont be inclined to read it.

I really think thats why most authors who maybe can write well end up not doing well.

That also said, i was never like some of these other first time authors i see. I mean that in the way of how they write. Like i see inexperienced writers using awkwardly worded phrases all the time. I dont really remember a lot of times i did that in any stuff i wrote seriously. And I think thats entirely due to me having read so many well-written books. I learned a lot from other much more experienced authors before i even wanted to write my own stories. Im also a native english speaker so i have no trouble there.

So...i think maybe im a bit different case from writers who ARENT native English speakers or who havent had a lot of really good models to learn from, or who just cant easily write scenes how they want them to be protrayed just due to a lack of vocabulary or whatever. I've always known what i wanted to write and how i wanted it to come out and i had a lot of examples to choose from that i could use to achieve that. Like i said i was taught, too.

Which is just to say, i think i had a better starting point, or foundation, for being a writer than some of the other authors i see. So i dont really hold them to a standard and say, "oh well your story is just total garbage you shouldnt be writing" cuz thats just unfair and stupid and acting like a person cant improve themselves. Or that they have to pander to me just cuz i may not like a certain aspect of their story or their writing style.

I will call out bullshit tho. Like if a character is being an unreasonable cunt for no reason, or its too obvious the author is forcing situstions, THEN I call the author a mfker. Lim Dal-Young for example forces situations alot, and makes characters who were originally reasonable suddenly stupid for no other reasons that to move the plot along.
Congrats on your success of your first work and if the phrase came out with a bit on the sour note, it probably was. I have absolutely no reason to go defensive but since I am here, I might as well do it for the Shffians, if @Tony is planning to make SH into the next Macau like what he did to NUF's Las Vegas.

The whole "be prepare it is going to suck" is more of a defense against any expectations one might have for their work, it is a complete show of how much I lack confidence in anything I do, but hey, it helps me trot through the aimless life of mine. I am not calling out anyone's work because I don't have the right to do so, or skills, or talent, or basically anything so I will not do that. The reason I posted is to ensure @D4isuke that it is probably not his problem on why his work gets fewer readers as the clocks tick by. Maybe it's the plot, maybe it is his writing, maybe the reader base over here just likes to read something else other than the genre he is churning. Half of the times it isn't his fault, just that things happen and he can go suck himself off (was planning to delete it, but meh).

And I cheer for your successful first venture in storywriting, a bit half-hearted one but I still cheer for you. For your ability to write down your fetishes like those in storiesonline (do you have an account in that place?) and your heightened confidence in the language department. Because I am sure that if I put down my current works in SH, it will either get take down for "non-consensual sexual content" or getting negative feedbacks but no constructive comments other than fix my grammer and sentence structure.

As for not liking a writer's work just because you don't like how the process goes, FANFICTION! I mean seriously, if you don't like how the plot is going, go read other works that fit your taste. Better yet, write the plot out yourself, like those people who just wants to NTR the girls off of some xianxia MCs.

So for TLDR, I salute you for your success and am envious as well, just like how I am envious at everyone who is successful in my life even though I know it is just them putting loads of effort and resources and me not putting enough.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
My friend I going to tell you a simple fact...

The moment you already started writing something. For having the guts to post it here in scribblehub or to any other places is enough for me at least to say: You did a good job! :blobtaco:

I'm going to tell you. Millions no perhaps billions of people around the world want to start writing but couldn't even get a friggin start a word on blank paper. Of course, there's geniuses and the mind seducers out there who could make big bucks and gain tract in popularity. Maybe about ten thousand or fewer out of the billions.

I have a few things that I have discovered in writing. Well, I had been in writing for only a year at most. Not full-time, only during my free time.

1. Hard work doesn't make waste - At first, I also wanted to be part of the trending pages or rankings so I tried and lose the steam. So I change my mindset, I try thinking of what writing had made me. Well, it made me a better English writer, a better vocabulary, a wide imagination, it made be study LOL, I got new friends, I learned new things, and I found a good hobby. In the end, I realize trending or not, popular or not. I still gained something worthwhile than sitting my ass on a couch watching TV while my stomach develops beer belly.

2. Set your goals - Set your goals, my friends. That's the only way you are going to see whether your successful or not. Of course, keep it grounded, don't make airplanes out of paper. Don't bite more than you can chew. Start on small goals. Like "I'll try writing 2000 words in 4 days or you know you could do better. write 2000 a day. Do you know the ten thousand hours rule? If not read it or skim it.

3. Failure and Criticism hurts but that's when you start growing - It may sound hypocritical but I know, I also been there. Rather than wasting your brain juices on thinking of failure. How about writing how did you fail. Make an impossible story out of it. Let me bash it for you and I tell you where you can improve. You can also ask the folks in discord. They'll help you a lot. Only in failure and criticism will you see things that you're not perfect. Well, who is in this time and world?

4. Stick to it even if it means blood - If you made a goal, stick to it like a damn glue! That's why I'm also telling to make your goals realistic. If you want success, you must have passion. You could ask others how they succeed. Well, they first took the first step, stumbled a little, found joy both in small and little things that went right.

5. Be you that's enough - your not JK Rowling, not Stephen King, not Malcomm, and your absolutely not Tony. You are you. The moment you compare yourself to others. In my eyes, you lose. Strive against yourself. It's hard! But when did things ever became easy in the first place?

Well, see this I already created something. I have created an article for medium. edit here, edit there. And damn, I also need a proofreader.

Hope this helps the others as well.:blobtaco::blob_whistle:

Last edited:

IamtheCreator

Personally, I think you should just continue writing for the people who enjoy your story! I find doing that a lot more fun than worrying about views.

karsev

I feel your pain. There are days that makes me want to scream at how awful my grammar and punctuation are. I've been writing as a sort of hobby and somewhere along the four years since I started writing, I just came to realize that I should write as best as I can and not worry about the things I have no control. And that it became a habit to me. Just keep moving forward.

i think you can start favoriting your own chapters, especially the ones you like.

give yourself a honest review about your own story, and try to appreciate your efforts more.

if you have close friends or family that likes to read, or even the neighborhood's priest or rabbi, feel free to recommend them your work.