Internal Genres: The Different Types of Character Arcs

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Almost forgot to put this here for those it might help. This is my way of going even deeper into character arcs, beyond just positive, flat, and negative. Hopefully it can help out those who are interested, especially when combined with my video on external conflicts. This combined with that can help out a lot with focusing what you're trying to do with a specific story.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Yes, i sleep like a baby with this on. I will put this on my background while i'm writting later.

Thanks for the vid Marc :blob_hug: :blob_uwu:

Jemini

Yes, i sleep like a baby with this on. I will put this on my background while i'm writting later.

Thanks for the vid Marc :blob_hug: :blob_uwu:

... WTF!? How can you write while listening to an informative lecture!?

I can barely understand people who read/write while listening to songs that have lyrics in a language they're able to understand, but I suppose I can understand it if they're tuning it out and just making it background noise because they're just that focused. But something informative like these videos? You actually can't do both at once. You're either getting distracted and hearing the lecture, or you're tuning it out and missing parts because you're more focused on the writing.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
... WTF!? How can you write while listening to an informative lecture!?
Isn't what you supose to do ? Like learning in school, the teacher talk. You listen and write it in your note book, i've done this since forever now.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Isn't what you supose to do ? Like learning in school, the teacher talk. You listen and write it in your note book, i've done this since forever now.
I think there's a difference between transcribing speech to paper and writing for an medium while listening to an entirely different genre.

Jemini

That's taking notes. Taking notes means you write down the things that go through your mind as you are listening to the lecture (provided the things going through your mind are relevant to the lecture and help you grasp the idea.) Also, the things you write down are short-hand, and may even be transcriptions of exact things that are said.

Writing your story is something completely different, and it's completely impossible to focus on both at once effectively.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
That's taking notes. Taking notes means you write down the things that go through your mind as you are listening to the lecture (provided the things going through your mind are relevant to the lecture and help you grasp the idea.) Also, the things you write down are short-hand, and may even be transcriptions of exact things that are said.

Writing your story is something completely different, and it's completely impossible to focus on both at once effectively.

Different people have different ways of thinking, in this case I am talking about literally. They also have different ways of concentrating. I do not understand how someone can sleep while listening to trash metal, but I know people who do. Do I relate to them? Not in the least. In fact, I abhor sleeping close to them. But that's just how they feel comfortable to sleep.
That is something that neuroscience has already demonstrated that happens. Also, I think you're straying from the topic, no?

Jemini

Different people have different ways of thinking, in this case I am talking about literally. They also have different ways of concentrating. I do not understand how someone can sleep while listening to trash metal, but I know people who do. Do I relate to them? Not in the least. In fact, I abhor sleeping close to them. But that's just how they feel comfortable to sleep.
That is something that neuroscience has already demonstrated that happens. Also, I think you're straying from the topic, no?

In regards to derailing the topic, I suppose I can accept guilt for that one. It's just that I saw something that was so ridiculous to me that I got flabbergasted and couldn't help but comment.

And besides, neuroscience has actually shown that concentrating on two things at once at even a low-functioning level will lower your performance at both. In this case, listening to a lecture is at a mid-functioning level. Meanwhile, writing is at a high functioning level. Doing two mid-functioning level cognitive tasks has been verified 100% impossible by research.

Taking notes, meanwhile, is at the low functioning level. Even taking notes, however, has been shown to actually decrease learning ability on average. Yes, you read that right. Taking notes has actually been verified by research to harm your ability to understand the material. This is because just the focus necessary to write down a note is enough to break your concentration on the lecture to such an extent that you will process and internalize less of the lesson, and the value gained by having that point noted down for future reference is not enough to make up for the lost concentration it took you to write it. This is the reason why many university lectures nowdays actually give the class copies of the outline for the lecture so nobody has to take notes and disrupt their focus in this way.

Thus my earlier comment. It is according to the research that it is 100% impossible to do what Imnotabot is claiming he does. If you write while listening to something like this, then you are either not actually writing or not actually listening. Or, if you're actually trying to do both, then you are succeeding at neither.