Is it considered Isekai?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
sudo isekai in an empty world with heavy memory loss

its like searching a store for chicken, but instead of presenting delicious meat you present the skeleton. i mean, yeah, sure it is a chicken, but it isnt what people who are searching for chicken are looking for.
In Kuro no Shoukanshi the mc have memory loss too but it's still considered an isekai and even got a manga and anime adaptation. The fact your mc don't have any memory doesn't change the fact that it's an isekai. You didn't said his memory will never come back or that he doesn't take anything from earth and even if that the case, that change nothing at all. You shouldn't bother much about this, even more if it's just an only reader who said this. If he want a isekai with the mc using his knowledge from earth then you story ain't what they looking for, that all.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Other dimension, memories or no = Isekai.

sanitylimited

Other dimension, memories or no = Isekai.
that would mean anything not set on earth would be isekai....ie pokemon or gintama. it would lose all meaning on its own and just become a synonimn to the fantany genre. it would lose its relavent meaning and no longer be a genre

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
that would mean anything not set on earth would be isekai....ie pokemon or gintama. it would lose all meaning on its own and just become a synonimn to the fantany genre. it would lose its relavent meaning and no longer be a genre
The only relevant thing to be an isekai is have the character (s) be transported to a different world in some way.

Pokemon is a story on a Fantasy World that never moves worlds in any way, so it's not Isekai.

Digimon has the characters sent to the Digital World, so it is Isekai.

Alice in Wonderland goes to a different world too, so also Isekai.

Anything works for as long as there is a moment where the character (s) move worlds.

Isekai is a pretty broad category. It's very easy to fit into it.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Here is the situation. I try to listen to any sort of feedback in order to make the best version and fix any sort of errors in my novels. Today, I re-released one of my novels, and I've made it clear that any sort of feedback is more than welcome.
The story is about a guy who has been trapped on a floating island in the middle of a void. (basically, another dimension)
The main character has spent so long trapped on that floating island that he barely has any memories of what his life used to be like. I specifically mentioned it in the narration that the mc doesn't remember. This is an important part of the story about why the mc doesn't remember and a logical explanation about why. But I didn't want to go into many details since I wanted to leave it a bit open, for the readers to guess why.
(Some of the readers, when they read the beta version, even gave some clever and interesting intel on how the mc has become delusional and lost him mind.)
Now here is the problem, one of the readers decided that this novel is not considered Isekai because the main character doesn't have memories. And I should remove the "Isekai" tag from my novel or remove the fact that the mc doesn't have memories, because that makes him a different entity.

I gave my opinion on this fact and tried explaining that this novel indeed has the isekai genere, because the main character can also cross worlds through a door. (It's basically a dungeon, meant to clear challenges.) But in the very first chapter, another character gets trapped/summoned to this world as well. So it should be considered isekai? Right?

I was going to reply again to that reader, but he/she/it seemed convinced that I was wrong, and he was right.

I can guess that this reader didn't even consider reading this novel because he/she/it didn't stop and think about why the character didn't contact his family even though he has been trapped there for thousands of years. The narration in the novel mentioned that any attempt to contact or interact with humans is pointless as it is restricted by something.

So should I remove the Isekai tag from my novel, or should I keep it?

TLDR :
A trapped protagonist on a floating island, devoid of memories, sparks a debate over whether the story should be classified as an Isekai, with a reader arguing that memory loss negates the genre's definition.

You have to look at their point of view. Isekai is a genre where a person from this world goes to another world and presents the adventure based on their perspective as a former denizen of this world, or vice versa.

You can argue that it is a different world, but if you do not present the experience, then can you truly call that isekai? Wouldn't you just be abusing the market, promising apples but when the customers asked, "Where are the apples?" and you said, "Just because there's apples in the logo and my business is registered as Great Apples, doesn't mean I sell apples".

Ai-chan never read your story and Ai-chan may misunderstood the narration. But while the very barebone definition of isekai is crossing to another world, it's pointless if it doesn't present the experience of a man living in that world while referencing their former world.

For an example of a truly horrible misuse of the term, you can read Tale of the White Kingdom (shirou no koukoku monogatari). The protagonist had a migraine and collapsed. When he woke up, he became a legendary white haired king who brought glory to the kingdom. Then he died and woke up in the hospital. In no part was it ever mentioned that he compared his new life with his old life, no reference to his old life, no decisions made based on his original world's perspective. Technically, it is isekai, but it might as well not be isekai as the isekai part is just to capitalize on the popularity of isekai genre. It might just as well be only fantasy genre, as the isekai part is just him getting a migraine. That's it, him getting a migraine.

Lodur

Eight virgin
@AliceShiki , you a right. There are some marginal cases, like transported to the very similar world with alternative history (classic example is "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick), where I simply don't know, will it receive in Japan "Isekai" genre or not, but it still formally suits the definition.

RICHIESPIDER505

Here is the situation. I try to listen to any sort of feedback in order to make the best version and fix any sort of errors in my novels. Today, I re-released one of my novels, and I've made it clear that any sort of feedback is more than welcome.
The story is about a guy who has been trapped on a floating island in the middle of a void. (basically, another dimension)
The main character has spent so long trapped on that floating island that he barely has any memories of what his life used to be like. I specifically mentioned it in the narration that the mc doesn't remember. This is an important part of the story about why the mc doesn't remember and a logical explanation about why. But I didn't want to go into many details since I wanted to leave it a bit open, for the readers to guess why.
(Some of the readers, when they read the beta version, even gave some clever and interesting intel on how the mc has become delusional and lost him mind.)
Now here is the problem, one of the readers decided that this novel is not considered Isekai because the main character doesn't have memories. And I should remove the "Isekai" tag from my novel or remove the fact that the mc doesn't have memories, because that makes him a different entity.

I gave my opinion on this fact and tried explaining that this novel indeed has the isekai genere, because the main character can also cross worlds through a door. (It's basically a dungeon, meant to clear challenges.) But in the very first chapter, another character gets trapped/summoned to this world as well. So it should be considered isekai? Right?

I was going to reply again to that reader, but he/she/it seemed convinced that I was wrong, and he was right.

I can guess that this reader didn't even consider reading this novel because he/she/it didn't stop and think about why the character didn't contact his family even though he has been trapped there for thousands of years. The narration in the novel mentioned that any attempt to contact or interact with humans is pointless as it is restricted by something.

So should I remove the Isekai tag from my novel, or should I keep it?

TLDR :
A trapped protagonist on a floating island, devoid of memories, sparks a debate over whether the story should be classified as an Isekai, with a reader arguing that memory loss negates the genre's definition.
To me Isekai mean is go to another world with some memories of their past life with their body intact.I say this because if u get reborn in another world as baby or take over someone body after their death that count as reincarnation instead.

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
Let's say the characters are trapped in a mirror dimension for a few episodes/chapters.