Is it offensive?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Your world has no description for noodle animals and creatures with a prehensile nose?
There are, but in a discussion when there not a need to differentiate them from other beasts, there no need to explain how this one look like a wolf, this one look like snake, this one a dragon, saying crystal beasts are sufficent.

HellerFeed

To be honest I'm not sure how much Nüwa and Ganesha are nowaday, if it was about old religion who are not active now, I know I can write them without having to think about this like the greek or scandinav one.
Lord Ganesha is still prayed in India, just a week ago we celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi.

But I don't think most of them would be offended for their gods to be seen in a cameo like that.
There was also Ganesha in Danmachi where he's actually the god of his familia.

Even in the Samurai Jack series, there was the appearance of the Hindu God, Rama who helped forge the Samurai Jack's Sword.
Most Hindu devotees would love to see their gods being promoted in such ways.

The only time it offended was 'Record of Ragnarok'.
Especially Shiva's character was changed from the original character. Also, her consorts Parvati, Kali, and Durga were shown wearing skimpy clothes, despite these three goddesses still praying to this date. There is Goddess Kali Temple right across the street where I live.

The anime was banned in India for this.

So yeah, if you could still use current worshiped gods but make them respectable and a bit true to their mythology, appearance-wise/personality-wise.

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
Lord Ganesha is still prayed in India, just a week ago we celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi.

But I don't think most of them would be offended for their gods to be seen in a cameo like that.

Even in the Samurai Jack series, there was the appearance of the Hindu God, Rama who helped forge the Samurai Jack's Sword.

Especially Shiva's character was changed from the original character. Also, her consorts Parvati, Kali, and Durga were shown wearing skimpy clothes, despite these three goddesses still praying to this date. There is Goddess Kali Temple right across the street where I live.

So yeah, if you could still use current worshiped gods but make them respectable and a bit true to their mythology, appearance-wise/personality-wise.
'Crystal beast' well with more context it doesent seem that bad but originally I thought of a feral beast.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
There are, but in a discussion when there not a need to differentiate them from other beasts, there no need to explain how this one look like a wolf, this one look like snake, this one a dragon, saying crystal beasts are sufficent.
Not quite. One of the big things about writers is at some points in the story, you need to stop and smell the roses. A plot that is too pared down will lack impact. Like that scene where the dragon comes in that I talked about in my feedback thread. It’s not enough to describe it later. Describing it now is absolutely vital to make the scene generate the intended thought or emotion.

Sleds

Maybe I should use something other than a deity, like Jambavantha or Garuda (I'm not sure if it's not a god too now that I think about it, he often depicted as the mount of Vishnu so I'm not sure). Did you have any idea?
Not quite. One of the big things about writers is at some points in the story, you need to stop and smell the roses. A plot that is too pared down will lack impact. Like that scene where the dragon comes in that I talked about in my feedback thread. It’s not enough to describe it later. Describing it now is absolutely vital to make the scene generate the intended thought or emotion.
You still remember about this. You have a good memory.

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
Maybe I should use something other than a deity, like Jambavantha or Garuda (I'm not sure if it's not a god too now that I think about it, he often depicted as the mount of Vishnu so I'm not sure). Did you have any idea?
every god other than vishnu shiva and brahma are technically just Dieties. also, Narsingh?

Sleds

every god other than vishnu shiva and brahma are technically just Dieties. also, Narsingh?
I don't find anything about Narsingh, I found Narasimha when looking for it who are the fourth avatar of Vishnu, so I think it's a no too?

@TheMonotonePuppet The little lizard appear again in my story, and this time it was a good part to describe him since it was not in a dream.
The boundaries between space and time began to tremble, and the fabric of reality itself bowed to an unseen force. A silvery light shone, and a wormhole formed in the space.
From within emerged a being of breathtaking grandeur, a silver dragon that dwarfed the stars and planets with its enormity. Its scales shimmered with a brilliance that shined brighter than the galaxies, casting a spectral glow on the blackened land. Its wings, like immense celestial webs, spread gracefully, carrying the majestic creature as it descended to the ground.
The silver dragon descended before the throne, his regal form and eyes brimming with ancient wisdom staring at the young man on the throne.

D

Deleted member 139452

I would discorage the usage of Gods like Narasimha And Ganesha but would recommend creatures like the vyali , makara , airavata , timingila(the mythical beast not the Dolphin), Bheki, ketu , rahu , vritra, karkrotaka, Homa Pakshi, chakora, karkadann, odontotyrranos, kimpurusha , croccota , ichchhadhari nag , reachisey and sharaba.

Lostinthecause

Don't worry about Ganesha, as an Indian I can say this. Use him however you may, you will mostly like his story. Here's one, where Ganesha broke his teeth in order to write Mahabharat. and the second story would be, where Ganesh and kartikeya had to race around the world three times
Yes I will change it, from gods to divinity/ divine existence so that I can add thing like Fenrir, Yamata no orochi, etc...
Honestly, I like mixture, I would add in my novel Fenrir, and Vritra.
I would discorage the usage of Gods like Narasimha And Ganesha but would recommend creatures like the vyali , makara , airavata , timingila(the mythical beast not the Dolphin), Bheki, ketu , rahu , vritra, karkrotaka, Homa Pakshi, chakora, karkadann, odontotyrranos, kimpurusha , croccota , ichchhadhari nag , reachisey and sharaba.
LOL Ichhadhari nag no way, this reminds me of old t,v serials.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I was writing a part of a chapter when some name of gods appear and I write that some was like human when other looked like beasts in my story. It's then that I asked myself, if someone from these countries see there gods was portayed as beasts would that be offensive for them?

The part in question :

"It seems that there were different kinds, some with a human-like appearance such as Zeus, Odin, Isis, and Amaterasu, while others like Nüwa and Ganesha resembled more like crystal beasts."

(Crystal beasts are the name for "magic" beasts in my novel.)
anything can be offensive when you're a whiny little bitch looking for an excuse to cry. Dont worry about it just do as you please

BlackKnightX

Because myth Gods are just fictional and the Gods that are used by the Religion can be an offense by the believers.
It can offend people indeed. If I remember right, Record of Ragnarok is banned in India.

If you still wanna write it, there are two ways: using symbol and allegory or just don't give a fuck.

D

Deleted member 139452

LOL Ichhadhari nag no way, this reminds me of old t,v serials.
There was one serial with a ichchadhari nag as the antagonist, in that serial the protagonist gets cancer so she acts like a birch to everyone so that everyone doesn't miss her much after she dies but later she somehow FUKIN PUKES HER LIVER CANCER OUT and somehow tries to mend her relationships back again and oh after she mends her relationship in the most cringest ways the ichchadhari nag swaps her body to her

TUSOG

I was writing a part of a chapter when some name of gods appear and I write that some was like human when other looked like beasts in my story. It's then that I asked myself, if someone from these countries see there gods was portayed as beasts would that be offensive for them?

The part in question :

"It seems that there were different kinds, some with a human-like appearance such as Zeus, Odin, Isis, and Amaterasu, while others like Nüwa and Ganesha resembled more like crystal beasts."

(Crystal beasts are the name for "magic" beasts in my novel.)
Not if you personalize those gods and make them your own
The world is too diverse and someone will always be offended by something.

I always try to be cautious which is why fantasy is great. This is your world. So your gods get to be whatever you decide as the creator. As long as it makes sense to you