Is my story correctly tagged? Martial Spirits, Soul Power?

Reyezwriting

Hey, guys!
I'm starting a new series!
This one!
But I have a question relating tags.

The characters of my story can use spirit guardians to fight. Like Stands from Jojo's Bizzarred Adventure or Personas from... Persona.
But mine are animals, and fight each other like in pokemon battles.

So, is it okay to include these tags?
Martial Spirits
Soul Power
Spirit Users

I specially have my doubts about the Martial Spirits tag. I tried to google it but it seems different websites describe them differently.

And if this has a contemporary setting, does the Fantasy category fits or do I only use the Paranormal one?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Honestly - the correct tags are usually important when you are dealing with heavier or more encompassing parts of the story. So that readers don't feel cheated if they read drama/tragedy without appropriate tag. or expect a serious work only to realise they have slice of life story.

Nuanced tags like yours are more about the advertisement for your novel especially the part where you can make it so that you would show up as a "similar novel" on some other popular story - earning you a free ad spot on a popular page.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hey, guys!
I'm starting a new series, and at the moment is still waiting for approval so you won't find it yet.

The characters of my story can use spirit guardians to fight. Like Stands from Jojo's Bizzarred Adventure or Personas from... Persona.

Martial Spirits
Soul Power
Spirit Users

I specially have my doubts about the Martial Spirits tag. I tried to google it but it seems different websites describe them differently.

And if this has a contemporary setting, does the Fantasy category fits or do I only use the Paranormal one?

Thanks!
Yes, fantasy is correct, even if it's contemporary setting. Fantasy is basically anything that is not really realistic, and 'fantasy' is not a reference to 'Fantasy Other World', though it could be. Paranormal is more long the line of ghosts, evil demons and ESP.

Ai-chan can't say anything about the tags you provided as Ai-chan doesn't write those kinds of stories.

D

Deleted member 45782

Hey, guys!
I'm starting a new series, and at the moment is still waiting for approval so you won't find it yet.

Martial Spirits
Soul Power
Spirit Users

Thanks!
idk about the martial spirits tag. Fantasy category is pretty broad so you can put your story in there even if its contemporary. My advice is to tag it as Modern Day/Modern Time tag so readers know its set in a contemporary setting.

As for the Paranormal, I think of it as just ghosts. Not some magical spirit with some spiritual power or magic, just ghosts in a dark/horror setting a bit.

Reyezwriting

My story is online now, and I have get rid of the "Paranormal" category.
And I also deleted the "Martial Spirits" tag because I'm not what that is! I think it's for martial arts stories, and my story doesn't have that. Is more like pokemon using a manifestation of your soul.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
This site defines martial spirits exactly as you described them, a manifestation of a user's not-magic power.

You should also link your stories in your signature. I really like the summary of this particular story though.

Reyezwriting

This site defines martial spirits exactly as you described them, a manifestation of a user's not-magic power.

You should also link your stories in your signature. I really like the summary of this particular story though.
Okay, I have edited my original post to include a link to it.

And if Martial Spirits readers start blaming for doing bad advertising, I will come and find you! (Kidding)

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I think it's for martial arts stories, and my story doesn't have that.
Yeah, I believe in this site Martial Spirits are for cultivation stories in general. Cultivation seems to be a pretty huge genre here... I'm one of those into it. When someone mentions Martial Spirit, I immediately think of a cultivation title.

In terms of "false advertising"..... I don't think anyone would complain, so you can go ahead if you like. The worst they can do is rate you 1-star because they got angry you used that tag for a non-cultivation story. But it's passing and you can gain your ratings back.

MajorKerina

I honestly feel a little confused as to the definitions of all the tags most of the time I’ll be like well the antagonist is kind of friendly I suppose I don’t know if that qualifies for one of those tags and it’s hard to remember all of them and whether they seem important to the plot

Reyezwriting

I honestly feel a little confused as to the definitions of all the tags most of the time I’ll be like well the antagonist is kind of friendly I suppose I don’t know if that qualifies for one of those tags and it’s hard to remember all of them and whether they seem important to the plot
It would be helpful to have a list with Scribblehub's definition of every each tag. Or at least the most dense ones!

D

Deleted member 45782

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 45782

interesting. for me its the genre so I think some of what I want to do may overlap with a few genres or not enough of stuff to count for a specific genre.
Nice! Saving the list :)
Np. Thanks the others who came up with the definitions actually.