Is not doing a bad thing = doing a good thing

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I don't think that this makes sense.
As in in the attempts of doing Good, something fudged and bad things ended up happening.
Well, I'd like to point to the 'activists' of today. While they are 'fighting for a good cause', they tend to go overboard which leads to even more alienation of the people they are supposed to convince.

Hence, the situation of our societies today.
There is no sweetspot in this, either useless protest or terrorism.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
As in in the attempts of doing Good, something fudged and bad things ended up happening.

True, though their actions started from the belief that they are doing something good.

That quote's really applicable to one of my students, who is a budding 'activist' trying to call attention to the causes she's fighting for. Kid's intention is good; talked to her about it before.

However, it often leads her to conflict with her classmates, who see her as an arrogant prick riding on a 'moral' high horse.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
On the question of being mid: I think that doing nothing is a choice, so it can be judged on a per situation basis.

Well, I'd like to point to the 'activists' of today. While they are 'fighting for a good cause', they tend to go overboard which leads to even more alienation of the people they are supposed to convince.

Hence, the situation of our societies today.
True, though their actions started from the belief that they are doing something good.

That quote's really applicable to one of my students, who is a budding 'activist' trying to call attention to the causes she's fighting for. Kid's intention is good; talked to her about it before.

However, it often leads her to conflict with her classmates, who see her as an arrogant prick riding on a 'moral' high horse.

I suppose the statement doesn't cover good/bad ideas, of which bad ideas can deceive many. If we go down to the root cause it is the one that has mislead them rather than the person or their intentions.

Hans.Trondheim

On the question of being mid: I think that doing nothing is a choice, so it can be judged on a per situation basis.

I suppose the statement doesn't cover good/bad ideas, of which bad ideas can deceive many. If we go down to the root cause it is the one that has mislead them rather than the person or their intentions.
Well, here's the thing if we get to the distinction between the good and bad ideas: what is the universally-accepted standard of good and bad ideas? We can't turn to holy books (even when I'm religious myself), coz we know there are those who don't subscribe to its teachings, and we have to include them coz they are here with us.

Those are the questions I have in mind. If we factor in religion, it will surely be easy. But keep it out, and there's the dillema.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

Well, here's the thing if we get to the distinction between the good and bad ideas: what is the universally-accepted standard of good and bad ideas? We can't turn to holy books (even when I'm religious myself), coz we know there are those who don't subscribe to its teachings, and we have to include them coz they are here with us.

Those are the questions I have in mind. If we factor in religion, it will surely be easy. But keep it out, and there's the dillema.
I think that may be the main issue here, as my idea of 'good person' and 'good intention' come from there. We know whether something is good or bad by its fruits.

with that in mind,
"Bad events happen not because of bad men, but by the ideas of good men with good intentions."
Does not make sense.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
So... Does that mean doing good is bad? And should we not progress our way up?

Seriously, this is dumb.

The thread title answer (from me) is situational. And yes, even though the reason bad events happen is because of the good guys, there will always be bad things everywhere.

Remember, there are not many perfect things in the entire world. Even the most perfect person to live in the world can make mistakes.

Notadate

What about cheating on your spouse. I should help people cheat on their spouses to be not mid, and not cheat on mine so I ain’t bad.
-
Also rape. Preventing and doing are opposites.

Being mid is not mid, brother, you might lose you title. I, smallest bit, am angry.

Not doing anything can be better than doin something.

Hans.Trondheim

I think that may be the main issue here, as my idea of 'good person' and 'good intention' come from there. We know whether something is good or bad by its fruits.

with that in mind,

Does not make sense.
I see you apply the Christian view for this matter, which is also where I lean. What matters to me is the end result, after all.

Still, exposing a rapist pedophile is good, right? But why did I ended up losing my job (a bad event)? Something I always ponder on (until lately).

So... Does that mean doing good is bad? And should we not progress our way up?

Seriously, this is dumb.

The thread title answer (from me) is situational. And yes, even though the reason bad events happen is because of the good guys, there will always be bad things everywhere.

Remember, there are not many perfect things in the entire world. Even the most perfect person to live in the world can make mistakes.
I agree with your view that it is situational. Hence, I urge people (like my students) to view stuff not thru a two-colored glass, but rather one with several shades of colors.

Notadate

-
Good and bad are super situational. Stuff isn’t always happening.

Notadate

-
Is not killing someone good Or bad.

Even if the person has done something horrendous.

Murder =/= killing

I am for one, not following ‘God will judge them in the end’ Fuck I am the judgement.

I know I am fucked in the head, but honest to God. I can kill someone, I can kill a lot of people. If it means to a end, for me to live, etc.

-

There is never a black and white (bad and good. Even a mid)

Life can’t be seen through a view like that. Yes, helping old people is nice. But what if an old person is a racist. Shit, dunno.

Too many variables. Taking a bullet can be good in simple terms, but what about the people you leave in your wake. But then is it bad because you are letting someone else’s family morn them. Is dying bad, is not dying bad. Situational shit. To be selfless or selfish. Fuck is wanting to live selfish?

Try your best to be nice, treat people like people.

I have one sole dogma. Freedom - Eye for a eye.

-

Just inaction ain’t mid, and bad is actaully dependent. Both by culture, morals, and beliefs

Last edited:

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

I see you apply the Christian view for this matter, which is also where I lean. What matters to me is the end result, after all.

Still, exposing a rapist pedophile is good, right? But why did I ended up losing my job (a bad event)? Something I always ponder on (until lately).
It was never your fault that happened to you. The fruits of the society are what you experienced.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
-
Is not killing someone good Or bad.

Even if the person has done something horrendous.

Murder =/= killing

I am for one, not following ‘God will judge them in the end’ Fuck I am the judgement.

I know I am fucked in the head, but honest to God. I can kill someone, I can kill a lot of people. If it means to a end, for me to live, etc.

There is never a black and white (bad and good. Even a mid)

Life can’t be seen through a view like that. Yes, helping old people is nice. But what if an old person is a racist. Shit, dunno.

Try your best to be nice, treat people like people.

I have one sole dogma. Freedom - Eye for a eye.

-

Just inaction ain’t mid, and bad is actaully dependent. Both by culture, morals, and beliefs
You truly said all the things I should have said.

BernKatstel

Witch of miracles/Miracle feline
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Flatten those lines

yes you are, yes you are! Whose a good miko? @BernKatstel is!
I will end you one day

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Your problem is going there is one type of morality.

There is society, personal, criminality, and outcome.

So that's

Good-evil
Right-wrong
Legal-illegal
Positive-negative

All forms of morality exist simultaneously and apply to all actions.

Inactivity is a choice. You can choose to not save someone when saving them would take no effort. Or you can save someone and condemn 5 other people to be hit by a trolley by flicking a switch.

We think inactivity is not a choice, because we associate freezing in panic with not choosing. But if you can act in time and aren't actually panicked, then you are choosing to do something. You choose nothing.

The morality of your actions are then judged on the four axis if you want to weigh the morality of your choice.

If you let someone die, that's objectively evil if you ask most people in society. However, you might not think so if you are racist and they're Jewish. That would be your personal morality.

Then society has laws, and you might break a local law by letting someone die.

Finally, maybe that person liked to burn living puppies. So, maybe the world is a better place for his passing.

So, the answer is, it's complicated.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
Not really some people just gotta be psychopaths.
But are those people evil because they are born without empathy and fear, being more emotionally instable, laws only function because of fear.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
For those who read the title, know that my answer is NO.

Inaction is not an action. Not doing a bad thing does not equate to doing a good thing.

There is a third party in the system between Good and Bad; Mid.

Inaction is Mid.

You not murdering a rando on the street? You are not Good, you are Mid.

You not smoking to ruin your own life? You are Mid.

It is only when you do something good, then you are Good.

You help bodyblocking a bullet? You Good, at least to the person you helped bodyblock.

You helped an elderly crossing the street, even if it is just out of convenience? You Good.

Doing something is where one gets to be labelled Good or Bad.

But want happens when you inactive during a Bad thing? "That depends" is a phrase I hate.

If a Bad thing happens and you have the ability to Good with little effort but you choose to Mid, that is selfish yet predictable. Is it Bad? Does that make the human nature to be self-centered Bad? (YES)

Then doing Good takes extra effort than doing Bad.

What about Mid then? Is Mid = Bad?
Good is doing something that benefits others, bad is doing something that harms others. Doing nothing IS an action, you are CHOOSING to do nothing, which can result in others being harmed, and thus be bad. But the inverse isn't good, not stopping something good from happening isn't good, it's just not bad.