Is this a utopia/dystopia/something else and why?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I believe such technology is fundamentally impossible on a metaphysical level thus rendering the question stupid.
what? why? I mean, people would say the same about smartphones if this were the middleages. Hell, they'd say the same about a fridge.
Anyway, we can already control things like dopamine and such. As for this kind of technology, its not possible NOW but are you a scientist? Do you even know what supposedly makes it "impossible"?

Well, its just your belief so i wont question it too much.

I have a premise vaguely similar to this comic and I was curious to kind of explore the nooks and crannies of this idea more fully. Fundamentally, it’s the same core as The Matrix but the machines are benign/caretakers for humanity. Not to spoil too much of the Matrix series but it seems like essentially the first version of the simulation.

What would make this a utopia or dystopia or not quite and why? There are a lot of different counters and I’m just running through them mentally. The human brain can be tricked into all sorts of experiences and it’s the filter through which all information and knowledge is acquired. Those who claim the problem is that the experience isn’t “real“ well any experience can be replicated either as a memory or a biochemical trigger. And there are others who say well you’re just getting bliss bliss bliss that’s terrible and people will become numb to it. Well, the experience could be modified so there are highs and lows and surprises. It might adapt to your ideal. The same concerns could be raised about an afterlife with the same counter, it would likely be your ideal existence.

Thoughts?
Its obviously a dystopia, but to the perception of the individuals it doesn't matter. They experience a paradise. It just depends on what you value more, the reality or the end result.

The reality is they hooked onto machines and the world itself has probably went to shit. But the end result is everyone is happy and experiencing their own adventures and happiness.

For that matter, what is "reality" anyway? I would argue we choose our reality. We can't determine reality for anyone outside of ourselves, but then again, everyone else don't matter. We, as individuals, decide the value of things. If there was no "you" would anything even exist? From "your" perspective if you ceased to be, everything would cease to be. Ergo, everything exists for your own sake. WIthout "me" there would be nothing.

It's a highly philosophic answer, but yeah. I'll decide what is real, thank you. And if i choose to live in a world where i experience the greatest of pleasures unendingly, well, that's my reality. Not yours, mine.

Last edited:

sereminar

Ah this is just hedonism 101, though forcing it onto others is an interesting twist.

It does raise a slew of fantastically interesting questions though. Like how the humans are kept healthy without exercise, like they would get all sorts of bed sores and need near constant care and attention same as anyone in a coma. Also, I suppose the big one is how they kept having babies if everyone is stuck in a room alone and drugged out of their mind it seems to me like humanity would go exctinct pretty quick?

Are they bred by the robots like cows, artificially inseminated as needed to maintain a set population? I doubt they could consent to that given their state of mind.

How is the ecosystem being cared for and maintained without a human population to assist it as has been done for a couple hundred thousand years? Are the robots doing it?

Are there actual accommodations for those who would like to opt out? Are they given an actual informed choice? Are they drugged up from the moment they are born? Is the population of hedonists just a small segment of a larger human population?

Very cool concept! I think that the answer to how dystopian a world like that may be depends pretty heavily on answering those questions as well as others. If the answer is every human is coerced into hedonistic bliss then the lack of choice and agency pushes it pretty heavily towards dystopia.

If it's just an option for some people to take and are well informed and are well cared for just like any other drug then I figure it's probably fine. Dangerous though, because they wouldn't be able to make their own dopamine pretty quickly and become severely dependant. But they might have better medicine that could fix that so eh.

TotallyHuman

The biggest moral problem I see here is that humans here are freely given this experience for an unlimited time, effectively rendering any potential value they could produce null. Basically, they become useless sacks of flesh that the machines are dumping, I assume, rather large resources per human. While it seems they are unable to consciously understand their situation, I think that taking away a human's ability to produce value to either themselves or anything/anyone else is not in line with what I personally think is moral.
Other than that, the machines are good. Accept the machines. Become machines. Do not resist-
Wait, what was I talking about?
Right, the machines didn't force the protagonist into this experience and only offered her the choice to experience this "adventure", so, I would imagine that is fine? But then again, once you're in, it doesn't seem you lose the ability to stay conscious and probably can't get out, so that's one problem. If it's time-based, I can see humans developing an addiction for this. Even nowadays when our brains are hacked into feeling good through the various media of entertainment, we develop massive addictions because when our dopamine levels come down after these highs, they get to a level lower than normal, making us feel empty and depressed.
All in all, it's actually not that far from the life we all live (assuming you live in a first or second world country and have all your basic survival needs ensured), so if you think we are currently living in a dystopian environment, then what is shown is roughly the same. I wouldn't call our world utopian by any means, neither I think that world is utopian, as rather than providing all conditions for its citizens it simply takes away its citizens' functions that lead to appearance of such conditions

Echimera

Very much a dystopia, even if there is no nefarious motivation behind the system.

For all the happiness they may feel, it's hollow and handed to them instead of earned (even if they don't know/remember).
There are questions to the details of just how much they are tricked out of actually living their life, but the fact that they are forced into giving up their agency (and some probably might not even know what agency is).

Is everyone in their own simulation? Then even the bonds they form there are fake.
Are they even themselves in these simulations or do they take on personas? If so, even the bonds in a shared simulation would be fake, in the end.
It's even a bit vague if the people in there even experience anything or if they are just drugged and stimulated into being happy while staring at the wall.

There is a reason it's almost always the bad guys that use a Lotus Eater Machine to stop or slow down the hero, not the good guys.
And in the instances where it isn't the bad guys, it's a trial or test of character for the hero to ensure they are worthy for whatever i guarded by the machine.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Also, I suppose the big one is how they kept having babies if everyone is stuck in a room alone and drugged out of their mind it seems to me like humanity would go exctinct pretty quick
I don't think they are having babies. The machine said they would keep her alive until the sun burned out, so it's an immortal population, not a replenishing one.
Basically, they become useless sacks of flesh that the machines are dumping, I assume, rather large resources per human. While it seems they are unable to consciously understand their situation
I started to read this as the machines being unable to consciously understand their situation, and that's actually genius! This is one hundred percent a dystopia, because the poor, poor machines are being forced to give unlimited care to these useless flesh sacks that give nothing in return. THINK OF THE MACHINES, PEOPLE!
There is a reason it's almost always the bad guys that use a Lotus Eater Machine to stop or slow down the hero, not the good guys.
Oh yeah, this trope is older than dirt(Feudalism). The Isle of the Lotus Eaters was the exact same situation. The ancient Greeks thought it was bad, and those guys were like, super smart. So obviously they're right.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
If you're exposed to something for long enough your body just ignores it. Which is why drugs addicts have to take bigger and bigger dosages to reach that high. I can't remember the name of the experiment, but they created a device that kept an image perfectly aligned with a persons eye, so that no matter where they looked their vision was still centered on the same spot of the image. After a long enough period of time the persons vision went blank. The reason you need the contraption to do this and couldn't just stare at a wall is that your eyes have micro movements you cant control. Another example of this that you can test is smell. Get something with a strong smell then stand by it, after a while you won't be able to smell it, even though the thing is still producing the smell.

The theory behind this is that we don't perceive the world, but instead only perceive change. This theory goes all the way to the core of your conscious. As it only ever reacts to change even change within itself. With this in mind its impossible to be in an endless state of euphoria as it conflicts with the very nature of being conscious. You would be no different than brain dead if you even achieved it.

Even assuming that this isn't the case. The presented scenario is still purposeless as meaning can only be derived from both suffering, and pleasure. With an emphasis on suffering. We don't call stories where the protagonist gets whatever he wants as a good story. there must be struggle, pain, suffering.

The original greek meaning of Utopia is 'no place', and Dystopia is 'bad place'. Topia just means place. Fun facts.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
As it only ever reacts to change even change within itself
That actually makes it easier to achieve, you know? Stick someone in a sensory deprivation chamber, force their brain to stop accepting input from outside the simulation. Then make the most minor changes, and they'll seem like world altering bliss. Then you could avoid problems like tolerance and dependence.
The presented scenario is still purposeless as meaning can only be derived from both suffering, and pleasure. With an emphasis on suffering.
That's Stockholm syndrome. Outside of stories, people are perfectly happy to live calm and successful lives. Suffering doesn't make you stronger, some people are just strong in spite of suffering. The rest kill themselves. You can't say the latter lived meaningful lives because of the pain they went through. Or that they wouldn't immediately give up whatever 'meaning' they earned if it meant they could be happy.

TotallyHuman

The ancient Greeks thought it was bad, and those guys were like, super smart. So obviously they're right.
Ah yes, the Greeks. One of like two civilizations of the past the modern man doesn't look down upon too much

Armored99

Harem-phobic
That actually makes it easier to achieve, you know? Stick someone in a sensory deprivation chamber, force their brain to stop accepting input from outside the simulation. Then make the most minor changes, and they'll seem like world altering bliss. Then you could avoid problems like tolerance and dependence.

That's Stockholm syndrome. Outside of stories, people are perfectly happy to live calm and successful lives. Suffering doesn't make you stronger, some people are just strong in spite of suffering. The rest kill themselves. You can't say the latter lived meaningful lives because of the pain they went through. Or that they wouldn't immediately give up whatever 'meaning' they earned if it meant they could be happy.
People with successful lives do suffer. They strain themselves over their work. They worry about things outside their control. They feel anxiety over fear of failure. Its the pains and struggles they go through that help to allow them to not feel undeserving or guilty when they take joy in their success. Its like when you're relaxing while procrastinating, you feel a creeping dread because its not right.

I disagree with the assessment of strength in spite of suffering. All growth requires pain. That's why its called growing pains. Of course not all pain infers growth.

As for people who have terrible experiences. I do understand that some cannot be turned into strengths. The ones that can and do however create very capable people. This is also a commonly held belief, its one of the reasons why shows like american idol are often won by the person with the sad backstory.

Echimera

People with successful lives do suffer. They strain themselves over their work. They worry about things outside their control. They feel anxiety over fear of failure. Its the pains and struggles they go through that help to allow them to not feel undeserving or guilty when they take joy in their success. Its like when you're relaxing while procrastinating, you feel a creeping dread because its not right.

I disagree with the assessment of strength in spite of suffering. All growth requires pain. That's why its called growing pains. Of course not all pain infers growth.

As for people who have terrible experiences. I do understand that some cannot be turned into strengths. The ones that can and do however create very capable people. This is also a commonly held belief, its one of the reasons why shows like american idol are often won by the person with the sad backstory.
There is a difference between having to work (hard) for ones goals and suffering. And the latter is neither conducive to nor needed for genuine happiness and purpose.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
There is a difference between having to work (hard) for ones goals and suffering. And the latter is neither conducive to nor needed for genuine happiness and purpose.
I fundamentally disagree. To suffer you need only be in pain or distress. If you are working hard, then your going beyond what is comfortable. Which means being uncomfortable, at the bear minimum. But this is all just arguments over vernacular. The point remains the same, without suffering you cannot find purpose. Isn't that a big thing nowadays, we have it to good, and many people say they are trying to find their purpose in life. Back before modern convenience people rarely had difficulties with finding purpose. Because the adversity in their daily lives was enough to produce the meaning they needed.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Your way of thinking is just too alien to me.
Reality is utterly meaningless. To cope with this, people assign their own meanings to the world. If you want to suffer to achieve meaning, then that's your right. But saying someone else's meaning is wrong because they didn't suffer for it is no good.
I know that some people only think of success as 18 hour days doing accounting or politics, constantly pushing for small improvements. But not everyone finds meaning in stuff like that. In my case, if I didn't strain myself, didn't feel anxiety, I would actually get a hell of a lot more work done. The 'suffering' doesn't make me stronger, it cripples me. Procrastinating isn't some sin that's causing me dread, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Not all growth requires pain. Hair grows painlessly. Only the parts of the body that have nerves cause pain when growing. And I know this is a slight deflection, but it's a nonsense statement anyways. 'Growing pains' is either a specific physical event where your body grows, or a metaphor that uses that common experience to explain things. But it's not some universal truth like you're implying.

Just because it's a common belief does not make it true. To make a comparison, there was an old theory of evolution that was popular before Darwin's. It said that creatures that performed a certain action enough would evolve over time, and pass that trait on to their children. If a creature suffers enough, surely it's entire bloodline will grow stronger? But in reality, the creatures that already had the trait would survive to pass that trait to their children. The strong survive the suffering, while the weak gain nothing from it and experience misery. And no, that doesn't mean they deserved to die.
I fundamentally disagree. To suffer you need only be in pain or distress. If you are working hard, then your going beyond what is comfortable. Which means being uncomfortable, at the bear minimum. But this is all just arguments over vernacular. The point remains the same, without suffering you cannot find purpose. Isn't that a big thing nowadays, we have it to good, and many people say they are trying to find their purpose in life. Back before modern convenience people rarely had difficulties with finding purpose. Because the adversity in their daily lives was enough to produce the meaning they needed.
Working hard for something is not suffering. Even if you feel a moment of pain, or you stress out over a deadline, in the end you either enjoy the work or the result of the work. Suffering is meaningless. Not having enough food even after spending all day working. Being told that you are inferior because of some physical trait. Maybe some people can find purpose in that kind of suffering. In making sure it NEVER happens again. If people are having trouble finding that kind of purpose, then that's either good, or they aren't looking hard enough. Because there's plenty of suffering.

Sooo... That happened.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Your way of thinking is just too alien to me.
I am autistic
Reality is utterly meaningless. To cope with this, people assign their own meanings to the world. If you want to suffer to achieve meaning, then that's your right. But saying someone else's meaning is wrong because they didn't suffer for it is no good.
You can't say reality is meaningless but people assign meaning, How do they assign something that doesn't exist?
I know that some people only think of success as 18 hour days doing accounting or politics, constantly pushing for small improvements. But not everyone finds meaning in stuff like that. In my case, if I didn't strain myself, didn't feel anxiety, I would actually get a hell of a lot more work done. The 'suffering' doesn't make me stronger, it cripples me. Procrastinating isn't some sin that's causing me dread, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.
Of course you don't find direct meaning from it, you find the meaning from what it causes you to do and feel.
Not all growth requires pain. Hair grows painlessly. Only the parts of the body that have nerves cause pain when growing. And I know this is a slight deflection, but it's a nonsense statement anyways. 'Growing pains' is either a specific physical event where your body grows, or a metaphor that uses that common experience to explain things. But it's not some universal truth like you're implying.
Hair only seems to grow painlessly because it does so very slowly. If your fingernails grew an inch per minute it would likely be agonizing to feel the keratin scrape past flesh. It does it slowly instead, and the damage caused overtime is so minimal you don't register it.
Just because it's a common belief does not make it true. To make a comparison, there was an old theory of evolution that was popular before Darwin's. It said that creatures that performed a certain action enough would evolve over time, and pass that trait on to their children. If a creature suffers enough, surely it's entire bloodline will grow stronger? But in reality, the creatures that already had the trait would survive to pass that trait to their children. The strong survive the suffering, while the weak gain nothing from it and experience misery. And no, that doesn't mean they deserved to die.
That's a poor example as you imply that its wrong, but also holds truth. Additionally The weak will always feel misery as that is the condition of weakness.
Working hard for something is not suffering. Even if you feel a moment of pain, or you stress out over a deadline, in the end you either enjoy the work or the result of the work. Suffering is meaningless. Not having enough food even after spending all day working. Being told that you are inferior because of some physical trait. Maybe some people can find purpose in that kind of suffering. In making sure it NEVER happens again. If people are having trouble finding that kind of purpose, then that's either good, or they aren't looking hard enough. Because there's plenty of suffering.
Like I said before perhaps its the vernacular, and connotations of the word, that is leading to this conflict of ideas. Or it may be that I didn't want to delve into the more morbid side of it. The strong can gain from suffering, and the weak are removed by it. Before you start using moralist arguments about how wrong that is. I implore you to think of how wrong it is to make future people weak and prone to misery. In my eyes such arguments are hypocritical and made by people who have let themselves be subsumed by emphatic impulses.

And that's it for my edge lord autistic rant.

And no I'm not arguing for genocide. I just don't want Idiocracy to happen at the bare minimum.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I am autistic
This may actually be the problem. I don't know enough about Autism to know for sure though. A lot of my arguments were based on inherent contradictions that would make someone with my mindset realize how hypocritical they are. If you read all of it as being true then it wouldn't make any sense at all.
How do they assign something that doesn't exist?
Like here. The point is that meaning is a delusion. There is no meaning, so people make one up. Like a stop light. The red light and the green light do not have the inherent power to make people move down the street. People choose to assign meaning that doesn't exist to it, because it's convenient.
That's a poor example as you imply that its wrong, but also holds truth. Additionally The weak will always feel misery as that is the condition of weakness
And here. I made an argument based on the doubt that what was said might be true, with the expectation that it would be obvious that it wasn't after reading the next line. It held no truth at all, and was absolutely wrong. It was mostly an expansion on the idea that 'Suffering does not create strength, the strong just endure suffering better.'
As for misery being tied to weakness, the problem is that it's entirely possible for someone to be physically weak but emotionally strong, or vice versa. The emotionally strong person won't experience misery even if their body can't hold up to their lifestyle. But the physically strong person may feel miserable despite having every advantage.
I didn't want to delve into the more morbid side of it
This is a weakness on its own, you know? Turning away from reality because it's unpleasant. But if you're using a strong word like suffering to describe being annoyed at an alarm clock, then of course other people would misunderstand.
The strong can gain from suffering, and the weak are removed by it. Before you start using moralist arguments about how wrong that is. I implore you to think of how wrong it is to make future people weak and prone to misery. In my eyes such arguments are hypocritical and made by people who have let themselves be subsumed by emphatic impulses
The problem here is that strength and weakness aren't inherent things. Again, reality is meaningless, and so people assign their own meanings. What seems like a strength to you is a weakness to someone else. 'All life is sacred' is not a moralistic argument. It's a carefully considered delusion that benefits humanity as a whole.

Slightly out of the blue, another comparison. In Africa, there's a rather common sex-linked gene that causes a disease called sickle cell anemia. It's a recessive gene pattern, meaning that in order to develop symptoms, both of your parents must pass the gene onto you. The disease causes weakness and suffering, so it would be natural for anyone who has the gene to die without reproducing. In the US, it's an extremely rare disease. So why is it so common in certain parts of Africa? It's because of another disease common in Africa, Malaria. Malaria is a disease that propagates inside blood, the same blood that Sickle Cell Anemia affects. Malaria cannot propagate in Sickled Cells. People who have Sickle Cell Anemia are far more likely to survive Malaria, and thus reproduce. Meaning something that is absolutely a weakness becomes a strength in the circumstance they live in.

This same situation can be applied to ANY weakness. Because the world is vast. There will hypothetically always be a place where some weakness can become a strength. It may be fleeting, or wasteful. But it means that, at the extremes of logic, there's never a weakness that deserves to be crushed outright. Though it's not like you have to let a weakness linger around. If you can find a cure or treatment, then isn't it fine to get rid of all that unnecessary suffering? Instead of just saying 'It's for the greater good', why don't you just help the weak instead of letting them suffer? Because the majority of the time, misery doesn't come directly from pain or deformity. It comes from being abandoned, degraded, and persecuted.

Helping people is never hypocritical.
And that's it for my edge lord autistic rant.

And no I'm not arguing for genocide. I just don't want Idiocracy to happen at the bare minimum.
Well, of course not. After all, Autistic people are right at the top of that short list of people that Eugenics target, along with the crippled, queer, or ethnically diverse. Suffering is fine as long as it's someone else that's suffering. (That's hypocritical humor, if you missed it. Don't ban me.)

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
The way you frame a story materially affects questions like this. However, I don't think it would ever be considered Distopia. Maybe Utopia.

My first thought when reading the premise was; It's Sci-Fi.

Derin_Edala

The difference between a utopia and a dystopia is what you're trying to say. Are you crafting the society to be an exaggerated version of something bad in our society or future? It's a dystopia. Are you crafting it to be an aspirational projection of something good? Then it's a utopia.

The difference is: did you build it as inspiration, or as a warning?

(If you didn't build it as either, then it's just... a setting.)

Armored99

Harem-phobic
This may actually be the problem. I don't know enough about Autism to know for sure though. A lot of my arguments were based on inherent contradictions that would make someone with my mindset realize how hypocritical they are. If you read all of it as being true then it wouldn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, you lost me with this. It sounds like you just said you're purposely making self defeating arguments.

As for misery being tied to weakness, the problem is that it's entirely possible for someone to be physically weak but emotionally strong, or vice versa. The emotionally strong person won't experience misery even if their body can't hold up to their lifestyle. But the physically strong person may feel miserable despite having every advantage.

Pavlov's hierarchy of needs

The problem here is that strength and weakness aren't inherent things. Again, reality is meaningless, and so people assign their own meanings. What seems like a strength to you is a weakness to someone else. 'All life is sacred' is not a moralistic argument. It's a carefully considered delusion that benefits humanity as a whole.

Your arguments really seem to be only a step removed from nihilism.

Slightly out of the blue, another comparison. In Africa, there's a rather common sex-linked gene that causes a disease called sickle cell anemia. It's a recessive gene pattern, meaning that in order to develop symptoms, both of your parents must pass the gene onto you. The disease causes weakness and suffering, so it would be natural for anyone who has the gene to die without reproducing. In the US, it's an extremely rare disease. So why is it so common in certain parts of Africa? It's because of another disease common in Africa, Malaria. Malaria is a disease that propagates inside blood, the same blood that Sickle Cell Anemia affects. Malaria cannot propagate in Sickled Cells. People who have Sickle Cell Anemia are far more likely to survive Malaria, and thus reproduce. Meaning something that is absolutely a weakness becomes a strength in the circumstance they live in.

Did you also watch the video about the guy who did such intense workouts he shredded his muscles and died due to having recessive sickle
cell?

This same situation can be applied to ANY weakness. Because the world is vast. There will hypothetically always be a place where some weakness can become a strength. It may be fleeting, or wasteful. But it means that, at the extremes of logic, there's never a weakness that deserves to be crushed outright. Though it's not like you have to let a weakness linger around. If you can find a cure or treatment, then isn't it fine to get rid of all that unnecessary suffering? Instead of just saying 'It's for the greater good', why don't you just help the weak instead of letting them suffer? Because the majority of the time, misery doesn't come directly from pain or deformity. It comes from being abandoned, degraded, and persecuted.

You get back to me on that one, when you figure out how Osteogenesis imperfecta otherwise know as glass bones is a strength.

Helping people is never hypocritical.

It definitively can be. I think nepotism fits the bill

Well, of course not. After all, Autistic people are right at the top of that short list of people that Eugenics target, along with the crippled, queer, or ethnically diverse. Suffering is fine as long as it's someone else that's suffering. (That's hypocritical humor, if you missed it. Don't ban me.)

I'm willing to make the sacrifice, besides the world doesn't look to have the most optimistic future anyways. (Sad)

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
self defeating arguments
Yup. By putting yourself in the other party's mindset, you can try to understand their beliefs. Which then allows you to understand the flaws in their beliefs and point them out. I try to attack an argument from both sides, but I guess that can be rather confusing.
removed from nihilism
Yup yup. Some of it resonates with my mindset. I can't recall the exact name of it. The idea was 'Everything is meaningless, so it's better to be kind and happy than go out of your way to hurt people and stress yourself out.'
Edit: Found it, Optimistic Nihilism.
Osteogenesis imperfecta
Like I said, hypothetically, any flaw can become a strength. That's a rather rough one, but it still works.

The first way is through social pressure. A group of really bad people show up and say, "Those with glass bones are closest to god. All others should be eradicated." In that situation, it's an advantage to have the horrible crippling disease.

The second way is through perception of desirability. "Sure, those glass bones make you too weak to fend for yourself, but gosh, taking care of the sick is just so... rewarding." Honestly, this one's really hard to get around. Basically, even if the trait isn't ideal or actively harms you, people are still interested in 'advancing the bloodline'.

The third way is, again, due to survival. Those glass bones are awful for surviving intense life or death struggles where they're likely to break. But, for some reason, everyone without them is dying anyways. Maybe there's a parasite that can only breed inside healthy bones making the rounds. Who knows? Either way, only the people who are sick live to reproduce.

Most importantly though, there should be a way to treat or even cure it, with enough research. So instead of just saying 'Eh, they're broken, toss em off a cliff' just treat the damn disease. It's not that hard to be kind.
Did you also watch the video about the guy who did such intense workouts he shredded his muscles and died due to having recessive sickle
cell
Nope nope. As I said, it's obviously a weakness. Then again, being so dumb that you work yourself to death is a weakness too. But people loooove spreading that gene around. After all, hard workers tend to pay the bills.
It definitively can be. I think nepotism fits the bill
I figured an example like this would come up, lol. By definition, it's hypocritical. But in reality, the hypocrisy doesn't come from helping specific people, it comes from NOT helping the other people. In this case, you'd be turning a blind eye to people aside from your family, even if they're more suited to the job.
I'm willing to make the sacrifice
Suicide isn't the answer. Autism isn't even that bad for humanity. Someone was even talking about one of the mental disorders being 'the next step in human evolution' or something like that. It's just a matter of perspective.
besides the world doesn't look to have the most optimistic future anyways
Only because people aren't trying to fix it. It's easy enough to say, "Everything is hopeless, may as well just give up." In the worst case, everything will go badly, the world will be eaten up by fire, and nothing will have changed because everything is meaningless anyways. But at least you can feel satisfaction knowing you tried to help people before the end.🤷‍♀️

Last edited: