Isekai'd Side Characters

J_Chemist

Edit: I'm adding this up top. I'm not looking for examples. I'm looking for a discussion on the topic. Your thoughts and viewpoints, things you would like to see, things you hated, and things you would do different. Examples are nice but I'm not reading any stories provided. Give them if they enhance your discussion point, otherwise it's not helpful. Thank you.

Hello. I've been thinking. Cooking, if you will.

image_2023-10-18_142439740.png

The typical light novels and anime that have been produced lately tend to focus around an isekai'd individual who's transposed from one world to another. Whether done through magic or a runaway truck. Of course, these individuals become the center of the story, our main character, and we watch these characters interact with their new world/situation. We watch them either become OP, useless, or Kings of Nations. Sometimes, albeit rarely, they even become anti-heroes. Haven't seen a villain yet.

But, what if they were a side-character? Your MC and their group of friends/lackeys are going along and then all of a sudden they hear of some bullshittery going on in some other land. Fast forward and then they either hear about some exploits being done by a new adventurer who seemingly came out of nowhere or they hear about how some backwater country decided summoning magic was a good idea and now they've got a menace to socie-I mean a Hero in their midst. Alternatively, the party could just stumble across this person when they're doing regular business.

Rather than use the isekai as a tool/upfront trope, I present to you this; They're there, running amuk, but they're nothing more than a side piece on the overall board of the story. Their presence is felt and known, but they are not in the spotlight.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Alternatives?

I mention this because I think I might try to sling one of these characters into my own story, as I am always on the lookout for creative ways to drag someone into a life of suffering.

1697632309784.png

Last edited:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I suggest looking at KR academy novels (or any KR novels that has the word "extra" or "author" in it). This trope has already been done wayyy too many times over there.

J_Chemist

KR Academy novels. 'Nuff said.
Then this addition to the discussion is useless. Thanks for playing. :blob_neutral:
But the OP's idea is basically a side character's POV which the KR novels probably don't have. I'm all for it.
Negative, that is not the idea. This idea puts the Isekai'd individual as the side character. The isekai'd person is not a main character or of any importance to the plot other than the occasional detail/mention. Typically the Isekai'd person is relevant and central to the plot. In this instance, they aren't.

I actually thought of killing them at some point, but defining how important they are, their role, and the route to get there is something I'm looking to flesh out. :blob_hmm_two: Just looking to see what other people think and probe some other minds.

SailusGebel

No. Provide examples and explain.
If I remember everything correctly Abandoned by my Childhood Friend, I Became a War Hero is an example. The MC ISN'T isekaied, but the founder of the country was isekaied person(again, if I remember everything right). It wasn't explained or developed, but the fact is, it was done.

The Main Heroines are Trying to Kill Me.
This one is convoluted and retarded but it 100% fits. MC's ancestor was an isekaied person.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Then this addition to the discussion is useless. Thanks for playing. :blob_neutral:

Negative, that is not the idea. This idea puts the Isekai'd individual as the side character. The isekai'd person is not a main character or of any importance to the plot other than the occasional detail/mention. Typically the Isekai'd person is relevant and central to the plot. In this instance, they aren't.

I actually thought of killing them at some point, but defining how important they are, their role, and the route to get there is something I'm looking to flesh out. :blob_hmm_two: Just looking to see what other people think and probe some other minds.
ah, if it's this concept, then it's been done before I'm pretty sure.
It's actually my favorite concept to play around with. I had... let's see... five instances of this happening in just 100 chapters.
Jesus I should really cut back on abusing this idea.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
The novel extra and The Author Pov. Both are isekai into their own story as a mob character, trying to not play with the story plot to not die due to butterfly effect.

J_Chemist

ah, if it's this concept, then it's been done before I'm pretty sure.
It's actually my favorite concept to play around with. I had... let's see... five instances of this happening in just 100 chapters.
Jesus I should really cut back on abusing this idea.
It's a creative twist on a typical trope and if you do it well, I figure it could had some good flavor to a plot. Especially if it either keeps happening due to random summonings, accidental/implicit God-influence, or worlds summoning "Heroes" to fight their battles. The issue is the oversaturation of these isekai'd beatsticks running around if there becomes too many.

Edit: Also, I don't really mind if it's been done before. Everything has been done before in some way, shape, or fashion. It's what you do with it in your personal story that adds the flavor. At this point, dig hard enough and you probably can find a story with almost any idea.

If I remember everything correctly Abandoned by my Childhood Friend, I Became a War Hero is an example. The MC ISN'T isekaied, but the founder of the country was isekaied person(again, if I remember everything right). It wasn't explained or developed, but the fact is, it was done.
Sounds like this one might be rather interesting, with the isekai'd king being some kind of asshat or being in a position capable of putting his prior world knowledge into play. But I'm looking for something even more reserved and "detached". The King's influence here sounds fairly overbearing and plot changing in some cases if he swings his crown around.
The Main Heroines are Trying to Kill Me. This one is convoluted and retarded but it 100% fits. MC's ancestor was an isekaied person.
I scoffed just thinking about this.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
It's a creative twist on a typical trope and if you do it well, I figure it could had some good flavor to a plot. Especially if it either keeps happening due to random summonings, accidental/implicit God-influence, or worlds summoning "Heroes" to fight their battles. The issue is the oversaturation of these isekai'd beatsticks running around if there becomes too many.
isn't that somehow the plot of Everyone Else is a Returnee ?

SailusGebel

You know what? I've just realized that I was thinking of writing a fantasy story where MC was taught by isekaied person. I guess great minds think alike. 😏

J_Chemist

isn't that somehow the plot of Everyone Else is a Returnee ?
Never read it? But there are a few stories that I know of with lots of Isekai'd/Summoned heroes all stuck in one place or even returning to earth. Such a story is honestly kind of bland and is used as an excuse to give everyone super powers. It's stupid and creatively weak. But that is my opinion. Stories with oversaturated strength and power metrics typically are boring and make my eyes role because the MC just so happens to be better than everyone else.
You know what? I've just realized that I was thinking of writing a fantasy story where MC was taught by isekaied person. I guess great minds think alike. 😏
tehe~ ✨

SailusGebel

Sounds like this one might be rather interesting, with the isekai'd king being some kind of asshat or being in a position capable of putting his prior world knowledge into play. But I'm looking for something even more reserved and "detached". The King's influence here sounds fairly overbearing and plot changing in some cases if he swings his crown around.
The isekaied person was a founder, which means he is dead for some time. I don't remember for how long. Hundred years? Thousand? I don't remember.
I scoffed just thinking about this.
Yes.

There are more examples, but I won't look at them, sorry. Me lazy.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Tristan from Yu-Gi-Oh the abridged series has been isekaid. I would watch the shit out of that.

"My voice gives me super strength!" Tristan yelled at he repeatedly clubs the onslaught of demons.

J_Chemist

:blob_hmm_two:.... So it sounds that there are plenty of prior uses of such a trope, however it doesn't seem to have been done to the level I'm looking for. The individual is either dead or in a position where they're essentially "settled" and won't be a moving piece anymore. Just a loitering presence that has influenced and/or continues to influence by just existing.

But While examples are nice, I'm not looking for examples, guys. I'm looking for thoughts on the idea and/or additions/remarks about the concept. What did you all think about it? What would you have done different? What did you like about how it was done or what did you dislike about it?