I've just watched Lord of the Rings for the first time. Wasn't impressed...

Succubiome

Exactly. I started my novel reading journey with web novels and light novels, and they're not afraid to be in omniscient mode and describe things outside the character's perspective. I like this style more because it allows for a more cinematic read, as if I'm watching a movie or anime in my head. It makes reading so much fun.
Both are fun to read, but I generally write in first person viewpoint because the very limitations in scope do some cool things with uncertainty and the limitations of viewpoints that you just can't get easily out of omniscient without feeling "unfair"-- but I'm also writing something in omniscient viewpoint, and that's fun too!

An Inclement Proposal literally would just not work the same without omniscient narration.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've heard the name Lord of the Rings for a long time but hadn't quite gotten to it until yesterday.

Now, a few days before I'd finished all of the Hobbit trilogy. They certainly get a bad rep, and for good reasons. I found myself getting bored most of the time, but there were also moments when my heart pumped in excitement. The ending left me satisfied, and that's good enough for me. Rewatch? Hell, no.

Now, after finishing the Hobbit, it's finally time to start the Fellowship of the Rings. A few minutes in and I'd already seen the difference between the two trilogies. Certainly, I could understand the criticisms of the Hobbit completely from the get go. Though, a quarter of the way in, I decided to take a break. It was a long movie, mind you. (Which is weird, since I love long story.)

That was yesterday. Today, I'd decided to push through and finish it in one go. It didn't quite happen that way. A half way through the movie, and I decided it wasn't for me.

But that got me thinking: why is it that an epic fantasy movie (something I thought I like because of all the anime and novels and video games I've consumed) that is held in such a high regard and enjoyed all over the world for decades doesn't move my heart? While watching both the Hobbit and the LOTR, I found myself constantly thinking the younger me would definitely enjoy this. But why is that? Are the movies childish? By no mean.

So, what, then?

Then the answer came without much effort: yes, indeed, I've grown.

It has no waifus in it.
It most certainly does have a waifu.