I've just watched Lord of the Rings for the first time. Wasn't impressed...

BlackKnightX

I've heard the name Lord of the Rings for a long time but hadn't quite gotten to it until yesterday.

Now, a few days before I'd finished all of the Hobbit trilogy. They certainly get a bad rep, and for good reasons. I found myself getting bored most of the time, but there were also moments when my heart pumped in excitement. The ending left me satisfied, and that's good enough for me. Rewatch? Hell, no.

Now, after finishing the Hobbit, it's finally time to start the Fellowship of the Rings. A few minutes in and I'd already seen the difference between the two trilogies. Certainly, I could understand the criticisms of the Hobbit completely from the get go. Though, a quarter of the way in, I decided to take a break. It was a long movie, mind you. (Which is weird, since I love long story.)

That was yesterday. Today, I'd decided to push through and finish it in one go. It didn't quite happen that way. A half way through the movie, and I decided it wasn't for me.

But that got me thinking: why is it that an epic fantasy movie (something I thought I like because of all the anime and novels and video games I've consumed) that is held in such a high regard and enjoyed all over the world for decades doesn't move my heart? While watching both the Hobbit and the LOTR, I found myself constantly thinking the younger me would definitely enjoy this. But why is that? Are the movies childish? By no mean.

So, what, then?

Then the answer came without much effort: yes, indeed, I've grown.

It has no waifus in it.

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

I thoought you were gonna say it was too long so I was preparing to bonk you...then I saw your reason. I can't tell if I'm amused, disappointed, or something else.
I'm genuinely disappointed, believe me. I wanna enjoy the trilogy because of the epicness of it, how beautiful it is, and how much efforts were put in it. Such a classic on my to-watch list, down the drain just because of a lack of waifus... :blob_teary:

BlackKnightX

in your defense there are like maybe a handful of women speaking in the movies and one of them is a giant spider if my memory isn't failing me
The elf ladies are beautiful, but I wouldn't call them waifus if you know what I mean.

KidBuu699

First off you started with the worst 3. The hobbit trilogy has a bad rap for a reason.

Secondly, whenever I talk with someone about the LOTR movies and ask the question of which is your favorite; the first movie is pretty much never picked. The first movie is the band getting together. The origin story you could say. They don't have the great large scale battles that get your heart going.

Moving on though the reason why people talk about them and hype them up so much is because they are viewed as the start of fantasy writing. (At least large scale full series fantasy). They are the books that inspired so many other fantasy writers in their own pursuit.

Lastly, for the waifus section. The movies/books aren't showing the life story of these characters. They aren't moving from town to town doing whatever they want. They have a single quest. A goal. The time for waifus is for their off time or after the mission is completed. They have a job to do.

Well, you watched it out of order. You watch LotR first, then forget Hobbit ever existed. It will forever taint you. Nothing will ever be right again. Food will lose its flavor. Colors will lose their brightness. All will become dull, lifeless, and leeched of life.
Agreed, 80% lord of the rings is pretty good, but the hobbit is hot garbage except for memes.

To watch it out of order is just destroying your own experience, unfortunately you can never get that feeling back

GG black knight, better luck in time. Or get amnesia or something. (The aliment not the game)

BlackKnightX

Agreed, 80% lord of the rings is pretty good, but the hobbit is hot garbage except for memes.

To watch it out of order is just destroying your own experience, unfortunately you can never get that feeling back

GG black knight, better luck in time. Or get amnesia or something. (The aliment not the game)
I'll certainly come back again after I get over the allure of the 2D hotties~ :blob_upset:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I've heard the name Lord of the Rings for a long time but hadn't quite gotten to it until yesterday.

Now, a few days before I'd finished all of the Hobbit trilogy. They certainly get a bad rep, and for good reasons. I found myself getting bored most of the time, but there were also moments when my heart pumped in excitement. The ending left me satisfied, and that's good enough for me. Rewatch? Hell, no.

Now, after finishing the Hobbit, it's finally time to start the Fellowship of the Rings. A few minutes in and I'd already seen the difference between the two trilogies. Certainly, I could understand the criticisms of the Hobbit completely from the get go. Though, a quarter of the way in, I decided to take a break. It was a long movie, mind you. (Which is weird, since I love long story.)

That was yesterday. Today, I'd decided to push through and finish it in one go. It didn't quite happen that way. A half way through the movie, and I decided it wasn't for me.

But that got me thinking: why is it that an epic fantasy movie (something I thought I like because of all the anime and novels and video games I've consumed) that is held in such a high regard and enjoyed all over the world for decades doesn't move my heart? While watching both the Hobbit and the LOTR, I found myself constantly thinking the younger me would definitely enjoy this. But why is that? Are the movies childish? By no mean.

So, what, then?

Then the answer came without much effort: yes, indeed, I've grown.

It has no waifus in it.
Hobbits are essentially hyper-realistic lolis
Now watch LOTR again with that mindset.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
u understand that for the time the movie was amazing right?

1698202541070.png

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Power through it. Don't go in expecting to find waifus because the sheer monster of a world Tolkien has created is too insane to be spoiled by them. I hated it at first mostly because of how long some scenes were, but the ride was absolutely worth it. Such an insanely huge trilogy.

Reminder - Tolkien hugely popularized alot of the fantasy races we know of today. At least watch it to pay homage to him.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Power through it. Don't go in expecting to find waifus because the sheer monster of a world Tolkien has created is too insane to be spoiled by them. I hated it at first mostly because of how long some scenes were, but the ride was absolutely worth it. Such an insanely huge trilogy.

Reminder - Tolkien hugely popularized alot of the fantasy races we know of today. At least watch it to pay homage to him.
Endeed the story and world is great. Some parts are boring, but that's what happens when you have slow build.