Just a Rant

Angeline2403

I was getting bored of this novel named ‘I became the youngest sister of the obsessive male lead’, so I want to check for the spoilers But all I see is a bunch of people complaining and debating with other about how homophobic this novel is because the author made the main characters like the FL.

I get it what they are trying to say but why should they say it an spoiler thread and then there are other sexualities like pansexual and bisexual.

Besides why can’t they address other important things like why are yaoi novels romanticising rape, why are straight men turned to gay in yaoi novels and why are women always the villain in most of the yaoi novels, isn’t that misogyny?

I am sorry if i hurt anyone with my rant and thank you for reading it.

NitroxDarks

The answers are many, and pretty simple. But that's also pretty bland and will not let you have a satisfied feeling after having them... Just forget about them, as long as you understand it for yourself, it's enough.

TotallyHuman

I don't know the story you are talking about, but did the author suddenly pull yuri on the audience or smth? As someone who's been yuribaited far too many times I feel a weird sense of vindication, although I probably realise their pain...
There are novels with pansexual and bisexual characters, there are even (mostly American) TV shows with serious budgets behind them with important characters being bi- or pansexual.
BL novels are a different breed however. At least a certain subsection of them. Some (and a very vocal some) part of them are oriented for a female audience and fetishizes a lot of things about relationships without the burden of gender roles. That's why you see this kind of thing. I don't touch them with a 30ft long pole but I understand that some people have fetishes and I am fine with them. As long as they keep it in their heads and don't take it out into the real world, it's their right. There are good bl novels too, not all of them are like this.
The real victims are aro and ace, since they don't get almost none representation in popular novels or popular media.

Asdark

try reading my novel for a change.
i have hope for you and best of luck on your journey in your life.

Angeline2403

I don't know the story you are talking about, but did the author suddenly pull yuri on the audience or smth? As someone who's been yuribaited far too many times I feel a weird sense of vindication, although I probably realise their pain...
There are novels with pansexual and bisexual characters, there are even (mostly American) TV shows with serious budgets behind them with important characters being bi- or pansexual.
BL novels are a different breed however. At least a certain subsection of them. Some (and a very vocal some) part of them are oriented for a female audience and fetishizes a lot of things about relationships without the burden of gender roles. That's why you see this kind of thing. I don't touch them with a 30ft long pole but I understand that some people have fetishes and I am fine with them. As long as they keep it in their heads and don't take it out into the real world, it's their right. There are good bl novels too, not all of them are like this.
The real victims are aro and ace, since they don't get almost none representation in popular novels or popular media.
I am saying about Asian BL novels which has very disturbing themes but western BL novels have somewhat healthy environment.
The same reason why I've seen novels in this site that have rape scenes every chapter, and it is not treated seriously by the author: people are weird.
So true
The answers are many, and pretty simple. But that's also pretty bland and will not let you have a satisfied feeling after having them... Just forget about them, as long as you understand it for yourself, it's enough.
Thank you very much at least I feel a bit comforted reading your post and I will try to forget about it.

Temple

Besides why can’t they address other important things like why are yaoi novels romanticising rape, why are straight men turned to gay in yaoi novels and why are women always the villain in most of the yaoi novels
Because those stuff you listed are the fantasy sold, and women should obviously be the villain in that case. Let's take Fifty Shades of Grey. It's not a correct representation of BDSM and it's actually a pretty abusive relationship and not healthy at all. BUT, it's a billion dollar movie franchise, and the books I think are the top sold books in history? Besides like the bible or something. Anyway, there are a few people that call out Fifty Shades on the abusive relationship part, BUT the vast majority of its consumers don't care because the story is giving them exactly what they want so why are they going to complain. If you find anything popular, it means the majority wants it.

Why are there so many litrpg in RR? Because that's what the majority wants. That's just it. Why is GB the trend now in SH? Because that's in demand. That's the same answer as those things you pointed out. Obviously, no one (or just a few) will complain about it because the majority wants it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Here's a life hack: If you get bored with a leisure activity such as reading a particular novel, you're allowed to stop doing it.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
why should they say it an spoiler thread
Because "Everyone ends up liking the MC" is a content spoiler?

yaoi novels romanticising rape
This extends to almost any romance.
It can be a power trip of taking a person's most precious thing against their will, being so good/attractive they still come around if it's about the perpetrator.
Meanwhile a story about the victim sells the thrill of being wanted to the point of criminality. "Rape" frees you from any responsibilities.
So "power dynamics" heightened to the point of perversion.

why are straight men turned to gay in yaoi novels
Same reason straight women turn lesbian in Girl's Love novels or vice versa for het ones.
You see, you like, lizard brain says fuck, but the apparent sexuality wouldn't allow that.
Add to that the same attractiveness ego trip from above.

At least in the case of homo content you could also go with helping others into their sexuality, since straight is the default almost everywhere.

why are women always the villain in most of the yaoi novels
The most conventional antagonist is one you work to beat, the only roadblocks being created from their opposition.
And since this kind of novel usually sells satisfaction, you want one that feels good to beat, not one that you'd much rather date.
That doesn't exclude sexism of course, but there's reason without it.