"Just call them Zombies!"

Zinless

How do I
What do you guys think of stories where the characters/author refuse to call certain things as they are.

Zombies are one of the most common forms of this. A lot of stories from films, games, etc. refuse to call them 'zombies' and instead choose to name them something else like 'Walkers', 'Biters', 'Runners', etc. I get naming them 'infected' when its something like TLOU, where they're not walking corpses per se, but still act like one.

Another example is monsters. I get naming them to differentiate between types (one is man-made, one appears out of nowhere, etc.). But what's stopping the characters in your story from just calling them monsters? Instead of having to memorize the difference between 'Aragami', 'Corrupted', 'Flixofliomiamana', etc. I watched/read/played a few stories that have the characters refusing to call the creatures they see as 'monsters'.

I'm not saying that they're bad tropes, but I wonder why people keep doing this in their stories. Would love to understand this phenomenon, so that I may apply them to my story if needed.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Maybe not "monster" since Monster Energy runs an aggressive trademark litigation campaign against anyone that uses the word "monster".

A report published this week in Automaton, a Japanese media outlet, claims that Monster Beverage Corporation has complained over trademark registrations for Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Sun, and Pokémon Moon over the years, as well as the Monster Hunter brand and the videogame Monster Hunter Generations. The mobile game Monster Strike didn’t escape Monster Beverage Corporation’s all-seeing eye, either. The company opposed the game’s full title and its abbreviation, “Monst.”

But I do know what you mean...

Zinless

How do I

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
hmm. I think because calling them zombies would not suffice. Like they are far too distinct and would lead to death if someone called out an infected the wrong name for example like in the LEFT FOR DEAD universe. There are zombies and they are infected variants. each having a distinct physicality. A charger,a tank smoker, a bloater etc. Every variant could be generalized as infected or zombies but that would literally be a shit show if some random guy called a tank a zombie lol and then they get curb stomped by a tank that is throwing cars at them 💀

Agentt

Thighs
Simple, because the term seems childish.

Also, the term zombies imply zombie movies exist in that world, and many authors rather flesh out the confusion caused by the unknown rather than characters knowing everything because they know what a zombie is.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
What, we're calling them Pokebe now? (Pocket Beasts)
Monster energy is not gonna win, so Pokemon and Monster Hunter will probably not change their name.

But smaller companies and individuals that can't afford lengthy court stuff, will usually just change their names as soon as they get their first 'Cease and Desist'.

LilRora

Mostly formless
There's a whole lot of possible reasons, but sometimes it's related to accuracy. Zombie or monster are very general terms that can be used to generalize, but sometimes they just don't convey the amount of detail you want them to.

For example Mazoku, which is a japanese term for a demon, but is already sorta established as a way to call demons as a humanoid fantasy race, mostly in light and web novels. When you hear Mazoku, you know it's not going to be about corrupted (as in, more literal meaning) monsters.

Maybe some authors are trying to avoid generic words as well? Dunno.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Zombies are one of the most common forms of this. A lot of stories from films, games, etc. refuse to call them 'zombies' and instead choose to name them something else like 'Walkers', 'Biters', 'Runners', etc. I get naming them 'infected' when its something like TLOU, where they're not walking corpses per se, but still act like one.
This one is usually to avoid fridge logic and such. If you have a relatively modern setting, with characters that have seen and consumed as much fiction as we have, you might expect the characters to KNOW how to handle the threat. If they know what a zombie is, they aren't going to shrug off a bite wound with a catchy one liner and get back to being a ticking time bomb.

In a story where the characters are expected to follow the old tropes and cliches, you can't have foreknowledge. But if they don't have foreknowledge, then they shouldn't know what to call the threat... So walker. Biter. Rotter. It's the first sign to the audience that the characters DON'T know what's going on.
Another example is monsters. I get naming them to differentiate between types (one is man-made, one appears out of nowhere, etc.). But what's stopping the characters in your story from just calling them monsters? Instead of having to memorize the difference between 'Aragami', 'Corrupted', 'Flixofliomiamana', etc. I watched/read/played a few stories that have the characters refusing to call the creatures they see as 'monsters'.
These cases, it's usually more accurate to call them something different. The Corrupted might seem like monsters, but they USED to be people... And maybe they can go back to being people? The Aragami are literally Gods, and so that's what they're called. I don't know the exact translation, but it's something like Gods of Ruin, or Ruined Gods. (Edit: Wild Gods?)

And, most importantly, it adds a way to distinguish your work from a Resident Evil fanfic.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
What do you guys think of stories where the characters/author refuse to call certain things as they are.

I'm not saying that they're bad tropes, but I wonder why people keep doing this in their stories. Would love to understand this phenomenon, so that I may apply them to my story if needed.
the mental image of zombie is different from (insert name)

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
I'm pretty sure those cases are many many years old,
Oh? I am under the impression that its and on going issue as it Monster Engergy files a violation for every game with the word monster in it that comes out.

According to the report, Monster has filed objections to 134 trademarks with the Japan Patent Office alone, not to mention another hundred or so with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
and the latest one was Nov last year.

sanitylimited

all eagles are birds but not all birds are eagles.

zombies is a broad term with many subspecies. so to just call your enemy zombies could be considered lazy writing

Zinless

How do I
These cases, it's usually more accurate to call them something different. The Corrupted might seem like monsters, but they USED to be people... And maybe they can go back to being people? The Aragami are literally Gods, and so that's what they're called. I don't know the exact translation, but it's something like Gods of Ruin, or Ruined Gods. (Edit: Wild Gods?)
Those are names that I pull out randomly, it's just for examples. But in God Eater, the characters refuse to call the 'aragamis', monsters, despite being one. But, it is understandable, since the word 'Monster' might not exist in that world considering almost everyone who is born there is always threatened by the Aragami. (Also, probably done to differentiate themselves from Monster Hunter.)

all eagles are birds but not all birds are eagles.

zombies is a broad term with many subspecies. so to just call your enemy zombies could be considered lazy writing
There's a whole lot of possible reasons, but sometimes it's related to accuracy. Zombie or monster are very general terms that can be used to generalize, but sometimes they just don't convey the amount of detail you want them to.

For example Mazoku, which is a japanese term for a demon, but is already sorta established as a way to call demons as a humanoid fantasy race, mostly in light and web novels. When you hear Mazoku, you know it's not going to be about corrupted (as in, more literal meaning) monsters.
hmm. I think because calling them zombies would not suffice. Like they are far too distinct and would lead to death if someone called out an infected the wrong name for example like in the LEFT FOR DEAD universe. There are zombies and they are infected variants. each having a distinct physicality. A charger,a tank smoker, a bloater etc. Every variant could be generalized as infected or zombies but that would literally be a shit show if some random guy called a tank a zombie lol and then they get curb stomped by a tank that is throwing cars at them 💀
I'm not talking about how sub-species/variations are called differently, that's how it's supposed to be done. Just calling everything under one single banner is hard to write for writers, and harder to be understood by readers. There is no reason for doing that.

Maybe some authors are trying to avoid generic words as well? Dunno.
This is what I suspect the most. But I have doubts, which is why I asked here.

Also, the term zombies imply zombie movies exist in that world, and many authors rather flesh out the confusion caused by the unknown rather than characters knowing everything because they know what a zombie is.
I see! Fantasy stories often have zombies called 'Undead' as a race, and 'Walking Corpse' as species (I think). So it depends on the setting, got it!

If zombies show up in my novel I will call them something else.
Would you be kind to explain why? Is it for worldbuilding or for other reasons? Would love to learn more, thanks.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Oh? I am under the impression that its and on going issue as it Monster Engergy files a violation for every game with the word monster in it that comes out.

and the latest one was Nov last year.
If they really are still doing that, they should be careful about getting their patent thrown out.
Those are names that I pull out randomly, it's just for examples. But in God Eater, the characters refuse to call the 'aragamis', monsters, despite being one. But, it is understandable, since the word 'Monster' might not exist in that world considering almost everyone who is born there is always threatened by the Aragami. (Also, probably done to differentiate themselves from Monster Hunter.)
Hm. Well, God Eater wasn't originally created in English, so it's very possible that they were called monsters several times and the translators used a different word. That said... calling your gods monsters seems pretty taboo, and I expect it would be frowned upon... Even in a game.

EnoraTwilight

My brain have wrinkles

I'm not talking about how sub-species/variations are called differently, that's how it's supposed to be done. Just calling everything under one single banner is hard to write for writers, and harder to be understood by readers. There is no reason for doing that.

This is what I suspect the most. But I have doubts, which is why I asked here.

I see! Fantasy stories often have zombies called 'Undead' as a race, and 'Walking Corpse' as species (I think). So it depends on the setting, got it!

Would you be kind to explain why? Is it for worldbuilding or for other reasons? Would love to learn more, thanks.
I would say it is for worldbuilding, but also I like having unique creatures and monsters. In my novel so far there hasn't even been a goblin in a fantasy world. There has been a giant tree caterpillar, a giant fat bird (Bacaw), mushmonkeys (monkeys that climb up skinny mushrooms). Some thing are the same though. There are dragons and such. I just get tired of same monsters over and over. I don't have a problem with zombies or anything, and I will read novels that have them. I just like to add flare. Even if other people don't like that flare.

Zinless

How do I
That said... calling your gods monsters seems pretty taboo, and I expect it would be frowned upon... Even in a game.
In God Eater, the monsters are actually cells called "Oracle Cells" that are very hungry and eats anything it came across. Once they eat enough of something, they gain physical forms similar to things it ate. They're not Gods, they're just a very hungry giant collections of cells. The Aragamis are named similarly to Gods though, especially in God Eater 3.

"Dyaus Pita", "Kyuubi", "False Idol", "Caligula", "Balmung", "Anubis", etc.

Why did they name them that way? Idk, it sounds cool, I guess.

AetherialCore

for worldbuilding purposes.
But what's stopping the characters in your story from just calling them monsters? Instead of having to memorize the difference between 'Aragami', 'Corrupted', 'Flixofliomiamana', etc.
because memorising and knowing the differences between those things are crucial to either the fight, the plot, and the magic system and whatever.
of course, if the differences don't matter, then there would be no need to make the distinction, and generalising them all under one "monster" category is sufficient.

for example: magic.

magic circle is magic; incantation is magic; alchemy is magic; skill(if we're talking about the litRPG that's the rage nowadays) is magic.
then:

a character who have to take time to draw magic circle in order to attack/defend will have to conceive a fighting strategy that allows them to fight against the enemy who can easily invoke magic only by saying the incantations, for example.

my point is, the degree of importance distinction has to the plot is key, i guess.

Aaqil

Cookies!
I meant just the Pokemon and Monster Hunter cases, :p
I think those two are recent, they've just been dismissed immediately, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie: