Just saw thread where they discussed about banning AI genrated story, so i want to ask whats your opinion on using AI to edit your story.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
AI can be used to edit stories and filter grammatical errors, although it does increase the quality of story, someone who is experienced with AI can quickly catch on whether this story have touch of Ai in it.

But my question is do you see AI generated story = written stories that was edited by AI

And one of popular suggestion on previous thread was to not outright ban but tag Ai generated story, then how should we deal with Ai edited story, what category does it come under

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Reading so many AI threads, I am tempted to fire up a story that is fully AI-generated on an alt and see how it goes to show what kind of "threat" it is in reality.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
Reading so many AI threads, I am tempted to fire up a story that is fully AI-generated on an alt and see how it goes to show what kind of "threat" it is in reality.

High grammar quality (though many words come repetitively) and low creativity

Very easy to know it's made of AI cause it ain't got that human touch...... It's hard to explain.

You will automatically understand after reading Ai's stories a lot

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
AI can be used to edit stories and filter grammatical errors, although it does increase the quality of story, someone who is experienced with AI can quickly catch on whether this story have touch of Ai in it.

But my question is do you see AI generated story = written stories that was edited by AI

And one of popular suggestion on previous thread was to not outright ban but tag Ai generated story, then how should we deal with Ai edited story, what category does it come under
Aren't you technically using Ai for editing if you use Grammarly? Especially if you are accepting all of the edits. I did use Grammarly as a tool before, but only to see suggestions and red highlights. It costs money to pay for a real editor, and the paid version of Grammarly is also good.

Last edited:

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
AI-generated story = sacrificing human creativity

AI-edited story = sacrificing human writing style

They involve different things. For my belief, we has strict rule about protecting and promoting humanity ingenuity so Ai-generated stories have to go. For Ai-edited stories, the verdict is not "forbidden" but is still advised "against using it".

Writing story is creating arts and practicing creating arts. What do you even practice if you dump those tasks to the AIs?

The AIs themselves clearly have no need to get better at replicating human arts. They don't need to. It's people who are being lazy and greedy that want to exploit AIs to intrude the domains of artists to make some quick bucks and fame. This is why I am so against the usage of AIs.

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Yeah, but Chatbot in the process of grammar checking just goes
"I have rewrote some of the sentences for better flow."
Usually just morphing your sentence into a pre-existing one another author has written somewhere.
You mean ChatGPT? Well, I only used Grammarly, but I didn't blindly accept every edit. I just thought about each one, and what it would do my own author voice. It's pretty much just a faster version of what I used to do anyway. Originally I would just look at a thesaurus. Meaning that I would just google synonyms, and see if they worked or not. Basically, it is just doing a lot of the stuff I would have done anyway but faster.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Except from my experience it doesn't really do that at all. It mostly just suggests alternate words or ways of writing the same thing (at least Grammarly does).

As a Grammarly user, it is hella helpful. I use it in creative mode, so it does not rewrite for me, but I often accept its suggestions. I tend to overcomplicate sentences and end up with a 5 to 6-row long sentence... So, it is constructive in helping to break it up and arrange the parts. Especially the part where it suggests alternatives to not sound repetitive.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
As a Grammarly user, it is hella helpful. I use it in creative mode, so it does not rewrite for me, but I often accept its suggestions. I tend to overcomplicate sentences and end up with a 5 to 6-row long sentence... So, it is constructive in helping to break it up and arrange the parts. Especially the part where it suggests alternatives to not sound repetitive.

Exactly, I don't think it is as doom and gloom as other people do. Though, I pretty much used the same thing you are showing. If you are actively thinking about each edit it gives, you end up a better writer for it.

SalivaSpittingWorm

If the story is purely AI-generated, with the human just writing some lines for the AI to follow, I would definitely use the AI-generated label.

However, what I don't consider AI generated is when someone writes the whole thing and everything and then runs it through AI to correct spelling errors and edit for easier reading.

In fact, that's what I use. Since I'm someone who is not an English speaker and is also dyslexic it's a good tool. I've also had confirmation from my readers that they don't see any difference in writing style before and after, so I think it's fine.

GhostofNovels

AI stories need a lot of polish right now so in the end it's better to write a story and the make ai check grammar and so on

laccoff_mawning

If I had to summarise my thoughts, I just don't see any benefits on having ai-generated would bring, except from possibly a very small niche of nonsensical stories, or as more of a scientific study.
No. "Generated" means "created", not "edited".
I don't particularly care if someone uses A.I. to edit.

LORD_SHAXX

Aren't you technically using Ai for editing if you use Grammarly? Especially if you are accepting all of the edits. I did use Grammarly as a tool before, but only to see suggestions and red highlights. It costs money to pay for a real editor, and the paid version of Grammarly is also good.
Ai assistance I would call it

TotallyHuman

When you use a dictionary to find synonyms or words that would better express what you want to convey, does it make the dictionary writers your co-authors?
Everything should be done with moderation. If the AI can fix my abysmal grammar then I will use it.

J_Chemist

I've used AI to help with my editing a little while ago when the UI's were simple and easy. But the websites got changed, a Word Cap was put on the thing so now I have to chunk my chapters through it which makes it obnoxious, and I'm not paying for it.

The AI should be utilized just as @Hans.Trondheim said- as a tool. We all have our limits on knowledge and what we know in terms of grammar and word usage. While there is no "correct" answer to how to properly write, there are most definitely always better answers and better ways to get your point across, ways that may actually enhance your story that you're simply unaware of due to not being at that "level" per say. AI can definitely enhance your writing when you personally fall short and it can actually teach you new ways to write different scenes.

Now, of course, it's a choice to use the tool. You don't always have to take the suggestion it prints out because maybe you wrote a sentence a certain way for the effect. Grammar is just as much of a tool as it is a rule. Commas, periods, and other grammar symbols help enhance effects and how your sentence is read. Think of it as a personality, or your "Voice". AI does not take that voice into consideration and prints out what it believes to be the most effective/efficient answer to what you may be looking for. Just like you will never always be correct, AI will also never always be correct.

Like the Witch said- moderation. Use it to enhance but don't hand the keys over to the robot. If you do, then who's really writing your story?