Let's Talk about the Curbstomp Battle Trope

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Since I discussed how gritty, brutal, and quick real fights are last week, I figured this might be a good follow-up for discussing the storytelling potential for more quick, one-sided battles. Hopefully this can get you thinking about more things you can do in your stories.

If you want to decide on my next video, the poll is open now on my YouTube community tab.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
That thong.

I don't know what is creepier; that thong or the complete lack of bulge.

Nice thumbnail tho.
If you take his size into consideration then i think the lack of bulge is logical. Unless you imply that he getting on with fighting then i have no comment on that

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
If you take his size into consideration then i think the lack of bulge is logical. Unless you imply that he getting on with fighting then i have no comment on that
... are you saying that the fish king has tiny testicles?

Also, @Story_Marc 's start with "curbstomp battle" sounds like he is trying to swallow a yawn, a loogie and a moan at the same time.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Mugen Rider fanfic when? :3
Also have you seen katana monogatari? That one has some of the best curb stomp battles.

Last edited:

Maldrasen

I'm reading the Overlord light novels right now, and even though the English translation is pretty bad, I'd still recommend them. Overlord also uses this trope to great effect. It's one of the rare stories I've read where the curb stomps are told from the protagonists' point of view, but still remain entertaining.

I think Overlord gets away with it because of its lighthearted tone. The antagonists are often completely confident and full of themselves, then just get completely wrecked with absolutely no effort.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Curbstomping, like taking someone to the curb and stomping on them?

I thought most people would fight back.

forli

I'm reading the Overlord light novels right now, and even though the English translation is pretty bad, I'd still recommend them. Overlord also uses this trope to great effect. It's one of the rare stories I've read where the curb stomps are told from the protagonists' point of view, but still remain entertaining.

I think Overlord gets away with it because of its lighthearted tone. The antagonists are often completely confident and full of themselves, then just get completely wrecked with absolutely no effort.
Overlord is the one that made me stay away from web novels with evil protagonists. It was semi-decent at first until the MC went full hypocritical murder hobo for no reason.

And it's probably the best example to show how bad this trope can be when done wrong. There's nothing more insufferable than seeing such an unlikable and worthless protagonist easily win all the time.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Overlord is the one that made me stay away from web novels with evil protagonists. It was semi-decent at first until the MC went full hypocritical murder hobo for no reason.

And it's probably the best example to show how bad this trope can be when done wrong. There's nothing more insufferable than seeing such an unlikable and worthless protagonist easily win all the time.
In the Anime it seems that way. But in the LN Ains race affects him. Early on he freaks out but because he's undead he can't feel emotions strongly. The reason he goes murder hobo is because he's undead. I do I agree that he's hard to root for and eventually comes across like a bully but there is a reason.

forli

In the Anime it seems that way. But in the LN Ains race affects him. Early on he freaks out but because he's undead he can't feel emotions strongly. The reason he goes murder hobo is because he's undead. I do I agree that he's hard to root for and eventually comes across like a bully but there is a reason.
That's only an excuse for him being insufferable, it doesn't change the fact that he's insufferable.

And I call it an excuse because I don't think it even qualifies as a reason. Instead of writing an actual character with motivations, let's just say that being undead explains everything he does. It's like the author just liked the idea of a really evil guy that easily wins all the time and was too lazy to think of a story with that concept.

melchi

What is a custom title?
That's only an excuse for him being insufferable, it doesn't change the fact that he's insufferable.

And I call it an excuse because I don't think it even qualifies as a reason. Instead of writing an actual character with motivations, let's just say that being undead explains everything he does. It's like the author just liked the idea of a really evil guy that easily wins all the time and was too lazy to think of a story with that concept.
I agree it sucks but the racial changes are a big part of the light novel. They don't handle it well in the anime. He just glows when he gets excited and regains his composure.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Also, I can't say this enough but this is the best done guide IMO. It has a lot of common traps that authors can fall into and how readers will react.

Maldrasen

Oh dear, I'm only on volume 6 so it's a shame to hear that the quality drops.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
That thong.

I don't know what is creepier; that thong or the complete lack of bulge.

Nice thumbnail tho.
As I kept working on the episode, I was like "This goddamn thong undercuts any and all seriousness I have..." :blobrofl:
Mugen Rider fanfic when? :3
Also have you seen katana monogatari? That one has some of the best curb stomp battles.
Never heard of it! I'll have to look into it eventually, though I have a lot on my plate as is. ...Unless there is something that can be said about it that launches it up my list.

And this sums up well why I said that. :blobrofl:

I believe there are ways to make it work (also why I said it's a guideline), and no reaction is universal, but there is consistent ones.

melchi

What is a custom title?

Sorry, it is katanagatari, here is the trailer if it'll help with where on the backlog it should go. (I can't believe it is almost 10 years old now)

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Like curbstomp as a trope so I don't have to write fight scene longer than like 100 words.