Likable Protagonist

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
What do you think the characteristics of a likable protagonist should be?
I'm mainly talking about personality traits—what virtues should they have, but also what flaws?
Which character would you relate to the most?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Rippling pectorals and effortlessly solve all problems by thinking hard at it.
I'm mainly talking about personality traits—what virtues should they have, but also what flaws?
Better than you and lets you know it.
The perfect one who is always happy and never sad because he's so awesome.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
Depends on who is your readerbase. When it comes to WNs, what I've noticed is that you can't add REAL flaws.
I have noticed that too. Additionally, moments of weakness, failures, or defeats don't seem to be tolerated. Yet, it's so satisfying when a character manages to overcome their limits after a journey of improvement... and it's also very interesting to see the opposite, a decline, and the inability to evolve but rather regress. I guess the typical reader of a WN is primarily looking for gratification in a power fantasy, which is entirely legitimate, but I think it's a shame.
I enjoy reading about smart protagonists, if it's something serious. The ones that win through the powers of their mind and not raw power. Kinda like John Constantine.
I also prefer that type of protagonist, even though they are difficult to write, especially when pairing them with an antagonist who is worthy without making them seem stupid.

I would have imagined that from you :blob_joy:. I prefer for the supporting characters to have that characteristic.

Rippling pectorals and effortlessly solve all problems by thinking hard at it.

Better than you and lets you know it.

The perfect one who is always happy and never sad because he's so awesome.
Indulging in fantasy is acceptable. It's a bit like junk food... :blobrofl: So, you're basically describing a Mary Sue. :blob_hmm:

Loyalty + backbone.
Both are qualities I appreciate, although I think the latter is fundamental for me. I can't stand characters without a backbone.

I always admire a small-steps hero. The kind of protagonist that does the right thing because its the right thing to do, even if that invites danger or retribution.
Interesting, whereas I can't stand those who don't think about the consequences of their actions and don't know how to be pragmatic.

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
A likeable protagonist must be entertaining.
It doesn't matter if he's a gary stu (Kirito), a degenerate (Rudeus), a dumbass (Luffy), or a dickhead (Kazuma). As long as his story makes me entertained, I'm in.

Pixytokisaki14

Suffering in Final period
Flawed

Makes them relatable and humanlike since nobody is perfect among us humans.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
From what I found, as long as it invoke the feeling of "I can fix them", the readers will be invested and attach to the protagonist.

I learned this power from the copious amount of otome isekat I read

LilRora

Mostly formless
To me, it's simple. Some good traits, plus positively presented and balanced bad and neutral traits. Their number does not really matter. There are also some specific combinations that work well by creating likeable archetypes, such as being scatterbrained and enthusiastic. Contradictions and apparent opposites often also do well, for example being evil and a little murdery but sweet and kind to friends and family at the same time.

The positively presented negative or neutral traits can be, say, being indecisive but presented as an adorable fumbling gremlin while doing it. Note this is not exactly one characteristic - it's a combination of them, but they directly correlate to each other.

In the end though, all of it heavily depends on execution and personal preferences, which, on top of the aforementioned, makes it extremely difficult to nail down a single set of characteristics.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
The most important thing to create a likable character is growth, giving them flaws and relatability. The rest will follow once you have that.

We, as readers, tend to like characters we relate to in so many ways. For example, its always good to combine characteristics than just focus on one. For example, if you make a purely innocent character, people may tend to disconnect the same as pure evil characters. You have to balance the good and bad to make them realistic and believable.

(Important to give them actual reasons for being the way they are) Naive because they've never been betrayed. Hateful because they've seen the worst in people.

I'll place myself as an example as a reader. I hate characters that represent pure goodness. Like the man is killing your friends, yet you won't hurt him? That to me isn't relatable and makes me dislike the character. Perhaps it's a virtue to be a saint, but to me, it seems like a coward hiding behind his words of goodness.

So, for me, a character has to have both good and bad for me to like them. But it's all preference. Some people love the virtuous innocent characters that watch their friends being slaughtered.

"I can't hurt him because I'm a hero!"

This type of character can be given growth, too. One who sees the world as grey instead of white and black. Or better yet, the virtuous character who sees themselves become a villain in the end. :meowsip:

Just write and write and you'll end up with a character that everyone loves or hates. The important thing is you evoke emotions in the reader. That is your goal.

esThr

A protagonist that knows when they are wrong and tries to fix that wrong if possible. Also as a bonus, does not try to force their ideals on someone else and respect other people's stance even if it ends up in conflict with the protagonist.

Hopper

Intruding Person's account, yes.
I always admire a small-steps hero. The kind of protagonist that does the right thing because its the right thing to do, even if that invites danger or retribution.
"Gordon Freeman in the flesh..."
I love muted protagonist more. (In-game)

But, if someone able to make them 'talk', I'll love them more.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
People with a mental disorder or a eccentric personality are generally the most likable to me, characters that struggle with their own existence are too quiet likable to me.

What is likable about a protagonist is subjective and situational.

Last edited: