Likable Protagonist

What do you think the characteristics of a likable protagonist should be?
I'm mainly talking about personality traits—what virtues should they have, but also what flaws?
Which character would you relate to the most?
A likeable protagonist takes many forms. But first and foremost, you must not paint them as flawless, or what you call the Mary Sue or the Gary Stu.
A likeable protagonist often depends on the genre it stands upon. We can cite Kazuma from Konosuba. If you look at him objectively, he's a scumbag, but somehow we(the majority of us) love him, that's because he has good traits to even it out and because of the fact of the comedy, parody, isekai genres. You can make scumbag protagonists likeable, but there has to be a bar to clear for their good traits to balance it out.

We also have likeable protagonists that are pummeled to the ground about their character. For my case, Subaru, from Re:Zero, is a likeable protagonist, his suffering is arduous, he can be selfish, but he grows and we can see his past trauma. You can make a protagonist likeable, by digging deep into their personality and psyche, citing their shortcomings, making them relatable, and making them grow from them.

There can also be likeable protagonists who are just outright cool. It seems odd to cite them, as they might seem like Mary Sues or Gary Stus, but somewhat come out as cool regardless. Often the case for op protagonists, this one is probably the hardest one to make. What I can say for this, is that these characters just have a really fun personality and have a fun chemistry to mingle with other characters. You might be able to paint them as this seemingly perfect character, without having direct or indirect info to their flaws, as this person that has matured or has already gone through these problems.

I do apologize if Im being over the place, I do hope you get the point.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
1. Relatability
2. Growth
3. Sense of Humor
4. Compassion
5. Courage
6. Flaws
7. Intelligence
8. Loyalty
9. Competence
10. Determination
11. Resourcefulness
12. Independence
13. Uniqueness
14. Mysterious Past
15. A Dash of Tragedy
An excellent ingredient list, but the spices are missing.
Witty, some times dimwit
Outgoing, some times introverts
Curious, wants to solve them
But, the thing I want most in them is "not flawless".
Flawed

Makes them relatable and humanlike since nobody is perfect among us humans.
What kind of flaw is tolerable for you?

From what I found, as long as it invoke the feeling of "I can fix them", the readers will be invested and attach to the protagonist.

I learned this power from the copious amount of otome isekat I read
That's useful advice. Could you give me a practical example?

A protagonist that knows when they are wrong and tries to fix that wrong if possible. Also as a bonus, does not try to force their ideals on someone else and respect other people's stance even if it ends up in conflict with the protagonist.
I also like this kind of character.

I'd say personalities comes hand in hand by the story. Can't say I like kind and naive protagonist if the plot is dark souls like theme.
It can be interesting to see that kind of character having to confront a similar world, and to see how they change.

I love muted protagonist more.
I like them only in case I have wide choice of dialogues and customization, otherwise I hate them.

People with a mental disorder or a eccentric personality are generally the most likable to me, characters that struggle with their own existence are too quiet likable to me.
I agree, although I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea.

MatchaChocolate69

The most important thing to create a likable character is growth, giving them flaws and relatability. The rest will follow once you have that.

We, as readers, tend to like characters we relate to in so many ways. For example, its always good to combine characteristics than just focus on one. For example, if you make a purely innocent character, people may tend to disconnect the same as pure evil characters. You have to balance the good and bad to make them realistic and believable.

(Important to give them actual reasons for being the way they are) Naive because they've never been betrayed. Hateful because they've seen the worst in people.

I'll place myself as an example as a reader. I hate characters that represent pure goodness. Like the man is killing your friends, yet you won't hurt him? That to me isn't relatable and makes me dislike the character. Perhaps it's a virtue to be a saint, but to me, it seems like a coward hiding behind his words of goodness.

So, for me, a character has to have both good and bad for me to like them. But it's all preference. Some people love the virtuous innocent characters that watch their friends being slaughtered.

"I can't hurt him because I'm a hero!"

This type of character can be given growth, too. One who sees the world as grey instead of white and black. Or better yet, the virtuous character who sees themselves become a villain in the end. :meowsip:

Just write and write and you'll end up with a character that everyone loves or hates. The important thing is you evoke emotions in the reader. That is your goal.
A truly excellent response, and I agree 100% with you, even though recent negative opinions have somewhat unsettled me regarding this. Apparently, a villainous protagonist cannot fall in love, regret their actions, or be doubtful about them because this would ruin the pleasure of reading about an evil character.

As far as I'm concerned, conflict and duality are always fundamental in a character, and those are the ones I relate to the most. This internal battle is always present in our daily lives, in all our choices, so a character unaffected by it is hard for me to relate to, especially as a protagonist. Of course, there can be exceptions to this.

Anyway, thank you for the juicy response. It lifted my spirits.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Apparently, a villainous protagonist cannot fall in love, regret their actions, or be doubtful about them because this would ruin the pleasure of reading about an evil character.
Then they aren't human. There isn't an ounce of humanity in them if they can't change. And I guess that makes them a complete psychopath. Funny enough, even psychopath have second thoughts because their actions affect them. They feel and think like we do. And even though they have narcissistic tendencies, they can come to love others. Even if it isn't a good type of love.

Aka Toxic leads that people come to hate because they can't understand their thinking.:blob_aww:

This internal battle is always present in our daily lives, in all our choices, so a character unaffected by it is hard for me to relate to, especially as a protagonist.
This is what makes or breaks a character. People change, we aren't made in stone. We evolve and flow like a river.

Anyway, thank you for the juicy response. It lifted my spirits.
:blob_aww:Any time!

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
Apparently, a villainous protagonist cannot fall in love, regret their actions, or be doubtful about them because this would ruin the pleasure of reading about an evil character.
Yes because most of the time after such an event a redemption arc starts.
A villain becoming a hero/anti-hero has its own audience but most people that start such stories desire no hero protagonist.
I would disagree though (as a villain mc lover), I have seen many (evil) protagonists that do such things and remain great evil characters. There are many kinds of evil and it's only a matter of skill to make such happenings a reason to become more evil.

MatchaChocolate69

I do apologize if Im being over the place, I do hope you get the point.
Never apologize for expressing your opinion, especially when expressed politely as you did.
Your comment is appreciated. :blob_okay:

Emotional or psychological flaws.

Stories that have an overarching theme of having to overcome said flaws which are either Guilt, PTSD, or childhood traumatic events to become a better person in the long-run
I confess that I love to dive into them as well. Do I have a savior complex? As Rhaps says, "I can fix them."

Then they aren't human. There isn't an ounce of humanity in them if they can't change. And I guess that makes them a complete psychopath. Funny enough, even psychopath have second thoughts because their actions affect them. They feel and think like we do. And even though they have narcissistic tendencies, they can come to love others. Even if it isn't a good type of love.

Aka Toxic leads that people come to hate because they can't understand their thinking.:blob_aww:
🤩 I think I'll start calling you sensei, because you express concepts that I want to express much more clearly!

I would disagree though (as a villain mc lover), I have seen many (evil) protagonists that do such things and remain great evil characters. There are many kinds of evil and it's only a matter of skill to make such happenings a reason to become more evil.
Exactly, just as a hero can have moments of faltering and risk crossing over to the dark side, the same can happen to a villain in the opposite direction. I think it's an interesting concept—a villain tempted by the light side but ultimately resisting and becoming even more evil.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
1. Evil vampires.
2. Nice vampires.
3. Funny vampires.
4. Vampire makes every protagonist better.

Now, if you are writing without them, then the things I want to see are working through flaws, growth, and humor. I don't mind if the protagonist is not intelligent, but "stupid" is not a real personality trait. It is just one thing in a stew of things that makes a character. Same with intelligence. Characters that are portrayed as "super intelligent" are often cringey or not actually as smart as the author would hope.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Not that relevant to the thread, but I like the portrayal of toxic relationships in fiction. Aka, things like yandere or characters who are both codependent. Obsessive love can be interesting, depending on its depiction.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Not that relevant to the thread, but I like the portrayal of toxic relationships in fiction. Aka, things like yandere or characters who are both codependent. Obsessive love can be interesting, depending on its depiction.
I love toxic relationships/situations! I like my yandere men and women alike! Most of my MLs are either borderline yandere, if not a full one. If I'm honest.

But I agree, they are the best for a plot purpose. :blob_whistle_two: Obsessive love is similar to unconditional love.:blob_aww: *Only in fiction don't do yanderes in real life people*

SailusGebel

1. Evil vampires.
2. Nice vampires.
3. Funny vampires.
4. Vampire makes every protagonist better.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
That's useful advice. Could you give me a practical example?
Ted Bundy is an irl example of "I can fix him", or any psycho with K-pop level stans.

Any otome isekai male lead in Manhwa, the best example is from this its really showed how broken/crazy someone can be and still have a following.

Or whatever is happening in my novel

ACertainPassingUser

Real case scenario for "Likeable Protagonist of Side-Story surpassing Main protagonist of Main story" :
Misaka.jpeg

Misaka Mikoto

From "Toaru Kagaku no Railgun", also known as "A Certain Scientific Railgun Anime"
images (32).jpeg

In the episode 1, The protagonist, Misaka Mikoto, is very humble, friendly and easygoing, to the point where Saten Ruiko and Uiharu Kazari comment on how they are shocked to find that, compared to other Level 5's, she doesn't look down on lower-level espers at all.

And yet, Misaka is one of the best and the most popular student in the City.

And therefore, Misaka is very Likeable.

If you want a likable protagonist, try to copy Misaka Mikoto.

Futher explanation :

Railgun is the side story of "Toaru Majutsu"

But, Railgun's manga is made in 2007, and the adaptation is made in 2009, just 3 year after the source story gain popularity.

Its pretty much unlike the Main story, Toaru Majutsu index, which is written in 2004 but only get adaptaton in 2008, 4 year after it was made, and there's very very huge trend changes during 2004-2008, and threfore fails to get the popularity the Railgun get.

Not to mention the complexity and the unlucky harem ecchi yet Heroic protagonist theme of Toaru Majutsu Index, which is still unapalling compared to simpler CGDCT nature of Toaru Railgun with very good likeable protagonist.