litrpg tips from someone who hates litrg (unhinged rambling)

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Let's go back to the main conflict, please. Man vs. Nature in his quest to touch grass is overdone.

OP had some legit (OP) points. Mainly that those litRPG elements are used as an easy way to skip progression and character growth almost entirely. Oh, your MC is a suppressed lower-class citizen with no rights? Just let him kill rats in a cellar for 10 hours where he meets the elusive ancient ancestor, that grants him superior cultiva... Oops, wrong story template. Where he meets the elusive Super Shiny Rat that grants him 100000000000000000000000 exp and an OP title. Or he falls down a hole where he meets god-like OP Loli Dragon who grants him OP McGuffins and rides his D, since that's what the story will be about: everyone spreading their legs for a loser with a spreadsheet. And suddenly The suppressed lower-class MC is the OP Multiversal Master of Anything, Everything, and Everywhere. Tension is solved until the writer has to bullshit the power scaling and create something that actively contradicts the rules just so they can have a bit of tension.

And now that I think about it, those are the exact problems I have with Isekai, Cultivation, or Progression stories, or Harems in general. Nothing really feels earned if everything just falls into your lap or can be earned with a click after doing something mundane, so that it superficially looks like the character earned it. Those MCs start at 0 and go in increasingly big steps to infinity while everyone else is progressing linearly.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Bookmarked

Even though I'm not writing one ever

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I don't think it is silly. Frondo may have plot armor but there are a lot of others. Also early on the hook is not to defeat sauron but to keep the ring away from him while avoiding becoming a ring wraith.
It was uncertain if that would be the end or not so the tension felt real.
Nah, they’d win.