Local paladin..."enthusiast" talks Green Knight

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Hello everyone, resident Paladin Slut here.

Had the please of watching the Green Knight last night. I thought it was pretty neat, but kinda weird. Figured I'd put some thoughts to paper on it, some more specific that others.

Allegory/moral lessons:

Since it's based off of the poem of the same name (which I have not read), the story is going to play with allegory. I think, the main question of the film surrounds the idea of "what is honor?" And "what is goodness?" Or perhaps, even "what makes a good knight?" Can people who fail to do the right thing still be good? I thought it did an interesting job exploring this, especially in what was the fucking wildest 10 minutes of ending cinema I have ever seen.

Sound design and score:

I'm a trained composer, so about half of my attention when watching films goes here. The sound design and the score were absolutely phenomenal. The film makes excellent use of musical silence that contributes to its bizarre dream-like horror-scape, and the playing with genre of the score is excellent. The composer really crafted a subtle homage and subversion of the sort of music one would expect of the film. There's this constant building of dread, and it just keeps going and going and going and it does wonders. Really have nothing excerpt for praise here.

The Knight-ing stuff:

Honestly there's basically zero fighting, which was a little disappointing (I hadn't read the original poem, and still haven't, so this may be accurate to the source). It's mostly Gawain going on a quest, and having a bad time (TM). Still, not a terrible time.

VFX: there was some...weak animation here. I wish they had stuck with more practical effects. The parts of the film where it's just the costumes and no flashy CGI are definitely the strongest, maybe because they are the most real-seeming.

No whitewashing/Dev Patel: They cast Dev Patel, and I thought they were gonna chicken out and make his mom white. No, they didn't, thank goodness. Patel was excellent, his performance absolutely carried the film. I forgot I was watching an actor.

Overall: decent movie, great sound design, Dev Patel kicks butt. If you liked The Lighthouse, this has similar vibes. I'll probably watch it again with friends.

Anyone else here seen it? Thoughts, if you have?

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hello everyone, resident Paladin Slut here.

Had the please of watching the Green Knight last night. I thought it was pretty neat, but kinda weird. Figured I'd put some thoughts to paper on it, some more specific that others.

Allegory/moral lessons:

Since it's based off of the poem of the same name (which I have not read), the story is going to play with allegory. I think, the main question of the film surrounds the idea of "what is honor?" And "what is goodness?" Or perhaps, even "what makes a good knight?" Can people who fail to do the right thing still be good? I thought it did an interesting job exploring this, especially in what was the fucking wildest 10 minutes of ending cinema I have ever seen.

Sound design and score:

I'm a trained composer, so about half of my attention when watching films goes here. The sound design and the score were absolutely phenomenal. The film makes excellent use of musical silence that contributes to its bizarre dream-like horror-scape, and the playing with genre of the score is excellent. The composer really crafted a subtle homage and subversion of the sort of music one would expect of the film. There's this constant building of dread, and it just keeps going and going and going and it does wonders. Really have nothing excerpt for praise here.

The Knight-ing stuff:

Honestly there's basically zero fighting, which was a little disappointing (I hadn't read the original poem, and still haven't, so this may be accurate to the source). It's mostly Gawain going on a quest, and having a bad time (TM). Still, not a terrible time.

VFX: there was some...weak animation here. I wish they had stuck with more practical effects. The parts of the film where it's just the costumes and no flashy CGI are definitely the strongest, maybe because they are the most real-seeming.

No whitewashing/Dev Patel: They cast Dev Patel, and I thought they were gonna chicken out and make his mom white. No, they didn't, thank goodness. Patel was excellent, his performance absolutely carried the film. I forgot I was watching an actor.

Overall: decent movie, great sound design, Dev Patel kicks butt. If you liked The Lighthouse, this has similar vibes. I'll probably watch it again with friends.

Anyone else here seen it? Thoughts, if you have?
I vaguely remember reading the original poem. It was about Gawain cutting off the Green Knight's head and having to go present his own head later, right? Or something like that. Which doesn't happen. Iirc, the guy meets a castle on his way and the lord of the castle ends up being the Green Knight later on. Something happens with the wife, im pretty sure? She tries to seduce Gawain and he refuses her. For some reason, I remember Gawain kissing the Lord each time the Lord came back from a hunt.

Anyway, the Green Knight misses his head on purpose twice because Gawain didn't sleep with his wife. Or whatever. But struck his neck slightly the third time because Gawain had a belt given to him by the wife that was supposedly supposed to keep him safe from harm due to magic. And the Green Knight knew that, so yeah. He nicked him a bit for being a liar.

There was a crone, too. I think she snitched on Gawain. Was the wife the one who told the Lord/Green Knight?

Anyway i DID read the poem, but im probably remember this more from a youtube video i saw about it, cuz i keep recalling all these scenes about the Green Knight story. Im pretty sure there may have been an old movie about it..

I should check out the new movie too. I tried watching it on a pirate site i know, but the sound was so damn quiet that i just didn't bother.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
All I want from this is the birth of an Arthurian legend cinematic universe, all hopefully helmed by A24.
the closest we'll ever get was the Merlin television series. And while i loved it, i still wish we saw more of the old fables from it.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
All I want from this is the birth of an Arthurian legend cinematic universe, all hopefully helmed by A24.
This, 100%. Although I'm not sure how they would possibly make such a strange/psychedelic multiverse work

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This, 100%. Although I'm not sure how they would possibly make such a strange/psychedelic multiverse work
They would have to either pick from a book series based on the legends, or make it purely episodic in nature. Cuz there's a lot of stuff in the legends that really just don't fit with everything else and get pretty damn weird. Like the green knight thing.

I think that's why they usually base things around Merlin and Morgana. Cuz magic does a lot in helping to explain away some shit, know what i mean?

Psychedelic is the right word, cuz the guys who came up with these legends had to be high as fuck. I'm pretty sure they were based off of legends from other cultures, tho, now that i think of it? wasn't Arthur himself based off of like, Alexander the great and Charlemagne or whatever?

LIke for example, the Bible took a lot from other cultures too. And look how weird ITS stories are.

Jamminrabbit

They would have to either pick from a book series based on the legends, or make it purely episodic in nature. Cuz there's a lot of stuff in the legends that really just don't fit with everything else and get pretty damn weird. Like the green knight thing.

I think that's why they usually base things around Merlin and Morgana. Cuz magic does a lot in helping to explain away some shit, know what i mean?

Psychedelic is the right word, cuz the guys who came up with these legends had to be high as fuck. I'm pretty sure they were based off of legends from other cultures, tho, now that i think of it? wasn't Arthur himself based off of like, Alexander the great and Charlemagne or whatever?

LIke for example, the Bible took a lot from other cultures too. And look how weird ITS stories are.
The UK Merlin show was fucking bomb. I only thought the ending was weird, but the rest was easily a fantastic adaptation.

I'm sure the writers and directors have a lot of source materials to work from. Even if they don't bring together the characters a la 'Avengers Assemble!', I'd still be over the moon with A24 adapting Lancelot, Galahad, Arthur, Merlin, Morgana, Mordred, and more just in their independent films.

Unfortunately, GK probably didn't garner enough popularity to warrant more. With a budget of $15m, it only grossed-- at the time of writing this-- $15m in the box office three weeks after release. Pandemic and lockdown gimping the cinema industry.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
The UK Merlin show was fucking bomb. I only thought the ending was weird, but the rest was easily a fantastic adaptation.

I'm sure the writers and directors have a lot of source materials to work from. Even if they don't bring together the characters a la 'Avengers Assemble!', I'd still be over the moon with A24 adapting Lancelot, Galahad, Arthur, Merlin, Morgana, Mordred, and more just in their independent films.

Unfortunately, GK probably didn't garner enough popularity to warrant more. With a budget of $15m, it only grossed-- at the time of writing this-- $15m in the box office three weeks after release. Pandemic and lockdown gimping the cinema industry.
If they went heavier on the advertising and made it exclusive to some streaming platform, they probably wouldve made more. Since no one goes to the cinema much anymore, it's pointless showing it there

The new suicide squad was pretty good but it lost over 100mllion. Theatres are a dying breed. The experience of it is still going to attract some people, but to beak even actors are probably gonna be paid way less than they are now. It's the only way I see it happening as of now

Otherwise you would have to cut corners on special effects and props and all that, which will effect the quality of the movie itself and that wont help break even at all.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Gosh I hope this leads to similar movies so bad. Would kill to see a trippy adaptation of paradise lost.