Looking for examples / tip for a chaotic war/battle scenes

Looking for examples to use as reference.

Wanna read a good war scene, in the heat of battle, with lots of shouting

Can be any era, can be fantasy, can be WW2

bullets/arrows/fireballs flying everywhere, people dying left and right.
Calvery charges
ambush archers on ridges
caught in a pincer
airdrops/ reinforcements
explosions
commanders shouting at radios/psykers

the works

Or falling that any tips on such a scene would be noice.

fluffypie374

Oh I missed the word read :blob_hide: I thought you wanted to watch and then write your own :blob_wink:

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
When I write battle scenes, I envision myself in the scene and write what I mentally envision. The full on war battle in my story won't publish for free until the beginning of April though (and I don't claim that it is particularly well written).

There are 2 ways to write it though.

First person, where you purposefully keep sentences and words short. It should read somewhat like the character has ADHD because the character should be feeling adrenaline.

Third person, again, keep sentences and words short. This speeds up the apparent pace. Onomonapia is good here too. Don't be afraid to violate proper english to convey the chaos. Avoid conjunctions and compound sentences. One paragraph may be one or two sentences long and the next focuses on the next, unrelated, chronological event and be much longer. All these things help convey the frantic pace and chaos.

Edit for example:
The man in the trench was sweating, he loaded his gun and shot an enemy soldier and killed him.

The man in the trench was sweating. He loaded his gun. He shot. An enemy soldier dropped.

The second set (to me at least), reads as rapid fire chronological events, rather than one motion, which makes things feel more frantic.

Last edited:

Dieter

the Writer

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Looking for examples to use as reference.

Wanna read a good war scene, in the heat of battle, with lots of shouting

Can be any era, can be fantasy, can be WW2

bullets/arrows/fireballs flying everywhere, people dying left and right.
Calvery charges
ambush archers on ridges
caught in a pincer
airdrops/ reinforcements
explosions
commanders shouting at radios/psykers

the works

Or falling that any tips on such a scene would be noice.
Potentially [Kingdom]?
Or [Trash of the Count's Family]?
Maybe in [The Novel's Extra]?
And potentially in [Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint]?
:blob_frown:

Though, I don't really read a lot of stories that involve modern warfare tech so...
'-'

Don't know if any of those would help you in showing chaos during battles, or not...

X

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I've been writing one such battle for 3 chapters already. As someone already said, keeping the sentences short is a good trick. I tried to make it as intense and chaotic as possible but not so much as not to confuse the reader.

It's a long read but I'll leave the link to my latest chapter below if you wish to give it a try. I hope it may be of some help.