Madoka Magica: Walpurghis Rising

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
AAAAAAAA IT'S REAAAAAL!! *disintegrates into confetti*

It's been like what, nearly a decade or more since rebellion?

I hope Seyiku can finally be happy in this one...
IMG_20230913_081546.jpg

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Ooh, really curious where they'll go next with this.
Right? Right!? I'm looking really forward to it!

Oh, and I should also share this. New poster!

It certainly gives an idea of what they're going with, but still quite vague.

One interesting thing to note is that Homura lost her time control powers after Ultimate Madoka became a thing according to one of the spinoffs, but instead got the power to control memories to some extent, as well as a bow that felt similar to Madoka's own bow.

Yet in this poster image we see her with her time control shield and no bow at all...

And uhn... Whatever that sword-like thingy is too. I think there's a snake head coming out of it... But what does that mean!?!?!? >.<

There's enough stuff to theorize, but nothing that can lead to any conclusion! >.<

*is very hyped and wants more info*

Succubiome

Maybe Homura split herself into two just like she did Madoka? ...I think?
AAAAAAAA IT'S REAAAAAL!! *disintegrates into confeI hope Seyiku can finally be happy in this one...
...admittedly the picture does not give me a ton of hope for that.

But hopefully!

Agentt

Thighs
Madoka Magika has been my favourite anime, and I love it but I was disappointed in the last movie for just instantly being, "love is so powerful it killed God" without any buildup.

AliceShiki

Maybe Homura split herself into two just like she did Madoka? ...I think?
Possibly? I mean... Since Madoka was split in two by Homura, there should be an Ultimate Madoka still out there somewhere, and somebody should need to keep Ultimate Madoka in check to not let her reunite herself with the Kaname Madoka in Homura's reality, so... I guess Homura might have split herself to take care of that?

Or maybe it's kinda like a Witch familiar growing into a fully-formed Witch if enough time passes? Essentially making multiple Homuras be born with time? I mean... Devil Homura is kinda like a witch, isn't she?
It's been like what, nearly a decade or more since rebellion?
Yeah, pretty sure it's been 10 years since Rebellion~
I hope Seyiku can finally be happy in this one...
IMG_20230913_081546.jpg
...admittedly the picture does not give me a ton of hope for that.

But hopefully!
Well, Madoka isn't exactly known for being a series full of happiness! xD

Sayaka finding her happy ending though... Well, maybe? It's hard to know! Depends a lot on what the movie does!
Madoka Magika has been my favourite anime, and I love it but I was disappointed in the last movie for just instantly being, "love is so powerful it killed God" without any buildup.
I think it's more because of Homura's connection to Madoka.

At the end of the day, it was Homura constantly resetting the timeline that made Madoka become strong enough to become Ultimate Madoka, after all.

So like, Madoka's power is directly tied to Homura in a way.

You can also see in one of the spin offs (the one that functions as a prequel to Rebellion) that Homura is actually absurdly powerful post-Ultimate Madoka, like... More powerful than basically other magical girl, and she has a bow as a weapon and she uses it in the same way Madoka uses.

So, while it is in a spin-off material, it is hinted that Homura has extra power due to her connection to Madoka.

She also being the only person who kept the memories of Madoka's existence also hints towards it, so like... Well, if their powers are connected, Homura trying to break Madoka apart just as she was about to become a witch could transform her into a Witch/Goddess Hybrid, which is the Devil Homura.

I think Homura calling it love is more of an unreliable narrator than anything. We can also see in the phone call in this trailer that the girl on the other side of the line (Walpurghis? Second Homura?) calls the whole love thing as nonsense, so I'm not sure if we can take it at face value. It was probably just Homura's own interpretation of what was happening, not necessarily the truth.

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?

New trailer just dropped! I'm so hyped for this!

It doesn't have an official release date yet, but I read in article it should come in Winter 2024, so... Not that far away!

*happy hyped Alice noises*
I don't know, they released another one in the same universe a few years back but I couldn't get into it.
I thought magical girl raising project was a much better successor.

Agentt

Thighs
Possibly? I mean... Since Madoka was split in two by Homura, there should be an Ultimate Madoka still out there somewhere, and somebody should need to keep Ultimate Madoka in check to not let her reunite herself with the Kaname Madoka in Homura's reality, so... I guess Homura might have split herself to take care of that?

Or maybe it's kinda like a Witch familiar growing into a fully-formed Witch if enough time passes? Essentially making multiple Homuras be born with time? I mean... Devil Homura is kinda like a witch, isn't she?

Yeah, pretty sure it's been 10 years since Rebellion~

Well, Madoka isn't exactly known for being a series full of happiness! xD

Sayaka finding her happy ending though... Well, maybe? It's hard to know! Depends a lot on what the movie does!

I think it's more because of Homura's connection to Madoka.

At the end of the day, it was Homura constantly resetting the timeline that made Madoka become strong enough to become Ultimate Madoka, after all.

So like, Madoka's power is directly tied to Homura in a way.

You can also see in one of the spin offs (the one that functions as a prequel to Rebellion) that Homura is actually absurdly powerful post-Ultimate Madoka, like... More powerful than basically other magical girl, and she has a bow as a weapon and she uses it in the same way Madoka uses.

So, while it is in a spin-off material, it is hinted that Homura has extra power due to her connection to Madoka.

She also being the only person who kept the memories of Madoka's existence also hints towards it, so like... Well, if their powers are connected, Homura trying to break Madoka apart just as she was about to become a witch could transform her into a Witch/Goddess Hybrid, which is the Devil Homura.

I think Homura calling it love is more of an unreliable narrator than anything. We can also see in the phone call in this trailer that the girl on the other side of the line (Walpurghis? Second Homura?) calls the whole love thing as nonsense, so I'm not sure if we can take it at face value. It was probably just Homura's own interpretation of what was happening, not necessarily the truth.
Ah, that would make a lot of sense!
Even then, I do hope they don't try to show that the Walputghis in the first season was just a second Homura, it usually doesn't end up well for time travel media when they try to connect every incident to something else.

AliceShiki

I don't know, they released another one in the same universe a few years back but I couldn't get into it.
The Magia Record spinoff? Or the Rebellion Movie?

Magia Record is based on the gacha, so its vibe is a bit different from the main series.

Rebellion and this new movie are direct sequels of the main series though, so they go more in line with it~

That said, I totally loved Magia Record too, so... Well, I'm biased~
Ah, that would make a lot of sense!
Even then, I do hope they don't try to show that the Walputghis in the first season was just a second Homura, it usually doesn't end up well for time travel media when they try to connect every incident to something else.
Ah, I don't think they'll do that. It would be pretty weird.

Although... IIRC it was once stated that Walpurghis and Kriemhild (Madoka's witch name) are two sides of the same hourglass or something like it... Which would kinda connect in an interesting way with Homura and Madoka's connection.

And it is also kinda interesting that in all timelines Walpurghis is always defeated by Madoka in one way or another, no matter how strong/weak Madoka is, but Homura was never able to defeat it no matter how hard she tried... And she was probably stronger in the last timeline against Walpurghis than Madoka and Mami were in the first timeline, so... Maybe?

It's also very weird that Walpurghis wasn't shown once in the new trailer nor in the new poster even though it is on the movie name.

... But at the same time, Homura already has a canonical witch form with a specific name and specific familiars, and those don't match with Walpurghis at all, so it would be weird.

... But then in the spinoff that is a prequel to Rebellion, the witch created out of multiple wraiths kinda resembled Walpurghis... And it was made with Homura's power to control time from another dimension, sorta.

Uhn... You started making me think of very strange theories now. I don't think they'll actually pull this kind of thing off, but I do think there is some interesting connection to be held there.

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
The meguca rabbit hole sure goes deep, eh? I've literally only watched the original series, the OVA and Rebellion. I didn't watch Magia records since it was based on a gacha.
Ayy a fellow Magical Girl Raising project enjoyer. Tbh, it's its own thing separate from PMMM, the gap between the anime and the first volume of the LN's release is like, less than a year. The author probably didn't even know who Madoka was when he started writing.
A more accurate comparison would be Danganronpa but with magical girls.

LORD_SHAXX

bruh my weeb friend were evil for recommending me this series as my first anime

AliceShiki

On some interesting notes, the dress that Homura is wearing at the start of the trailer resembles Walpurghis' dress by a lot.

Also, that's the only point where you can Homura properly smiling in the trailer.

Then you have a shot of someone that looks somewhat like Madoka wielding Homura's bow later on, which is a bit strange...

Then you have a shot of someone that looks like Mami controlling some ribbons, yet the colors and the clothes aren't quite right.

I feel like all those characters might actually be Walpurghis making recreations of the magical girls, Homura included. IIRC Walpurghis is set to be a coalition of witches of sorts, so maybe in this universe without witches, Walpurghis can actually act as an agent of the law of the cycle by taking the form of multiple replicas of magical girls in order to try freeing Madoka's imprisoned half from Homura's grasp.

So like, I feel like it's possible that the poster image doesn't show two Homuras there, but actually Homura and a replica of Homura created by Walpurghis.

Or well, that's what I'm theorycrafting right now at least~

... I'm too hyped for the movie! Why does it only come out in 2024!? >.<

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?
Oh I prob will watch it if only for the animation. The first series didn't really leave a lot of room open for a sequel so I'm not sure the tie in will be all that great but hopefully the animation will be fun to watch even if the plot seems a bit forced.

AliceShiki

Oh I prob will watch it if only for the animation. The first series didn't really leave a lot of room open for a sequel so I'm not sure the tie in will be all that great but hopefully the animation will be fun to watch even if the plot seems a bit forced.
I mean, Rebellion was very much wishing for a sequel, I think?

The first series didn't leave much room for a sequel indeed, but Rebellion did a pretty good job functioning as a sequel IMO, and it definitely left a huge desire for a sequel afterwards.

So... I think it's much easier for this movie to tie in to Rebellion then it was for Rebellion to tie in to the end of the original series~

Which makes me really really hyped! \(^^)/