"Modern" clothing styles in Sci-fi/Cyberpunk/Futuristic/Interstellar genres?

LilTV1155

I have been curious about the clothing styles that apply to those genres: Sci-fi, Cyberpunk or Cyberspace, Futuristic, Space, and Interstellar and any other setting that involves high technology.

So, in every culture or setting, there will always be some strict forms of hierarchy for social classes involving peasants, economic classes involving middle income group, and political classes involving nobles and royalties.

But not every story gives enough attention to the specifics of clothing styles that applies to their high-tech genres because I feel like most, if not all of the reader/viewer society already have an automatic assumption or a form of prejudice that clothes in High-Tech settings will always be based on the "Modern Styles" of the reader/viewer society's current time period that we all are living in now.

As far as I understand for people living in the 2000 to now, our "Modern Styles" are: clothes include jackets, shirts, and pants.
But for people of the past like in 14th century - 16 century, their "Modern Styles" are: robes, robe-like gowns, trousers, long cloaks, feather caps, tall cone hats, and etc.
For civilizations living in an era before 14th century elsewhere, say either Japan, Korea, China, or Arabia; their "Modern Styles" will include robes, robe-like gowns, guan crowns, or in Greek's case: skirts, toga, sandals, and etc.

Therefore, the word "Modern" is kind-of very broad due to its relevance depending on how the people of "current era/time period" think or assume.

So back to the main topic, I would like to ask for everyone's opinions on exactly what kind of "Modern" clothing will look like and appear in those genres: Sci-fi, Cyberpunk or Cyberspace, Futuristic, Space, and Interstellar?

- What kind of clothing do the lowest class wear?
- Clothing worn by the commoners or middle-income group / middle classes?
- Clothing that are only for privileged wealthy and powerful like politicians, nobles, monarchs?
- Clothing style for combat group like warriors or commanders etc.?
- If clothing styles are very similar to all classes, then what differentiate the hierarchy groups from each other?
** Note - Sometimes both historical styles and our "Modern" styles may end up combined in the futuristic setting, then I wonder what you guys think those clothes worn by characters will look like?

LilRora

Mostly formless
Honestly, I'd say that in modern and futuristic settings the term of clothing styles takes on a slightly different meaning, and it's simply not possible to talk about a single clothing style in certain setting since it would greatly vary depending on region, culture, and all other things.

Generally, in all six genres you mentioned the styles would probably be similar: the lowest class would wear simple, cheap clothing without any distinguishing characteristics, commoners and middle class would wear more presentable clothes with focus on practicality, and wealthy and powerful would wear formal clothing appropriate to the dress code in some place.

And the dress code, well. It can be official, unsaid, and it can be just about anything. Based on the current trends I'd say that black, and dark colors in general, will most likely stay in the basic formal attire, though it can change greatly depending on culture. For example, in a militaristic culture in futuristic setting it's very likely that colors like dark green or blue would be reserved for the military and the government (as their formal attire).

But overall I'd say it's impossible to specify a clothing style for any of those genres, because there's way too little information.

One example I like is that in a cyberpunk-style society the lowest class would wear various fabrics and today's casual clothes, the middle-group would wear eye-catching synthetic clothes in vibrant colors and with individual designs, and the wealthy people would wear only black and white. Then the military would wear combat suits in action and synthetic uniforms day to day. But in reality you can adjust this basically however you like, and as long as it's not glaringly in conflict with the setting, there are completely no problems.

You can even make a yukata into an official uniform, dang it. It's your future.

AryaX

What ever it is is, nobody should wear our current everyday stuff... Not exactly... Unless Isekai shenanigans are in play...

Mandark

What ever it is is, nobody should wear our current everyday stuff... Not exactly... Unless Isekai shenanigans are in play...
This is true, but I would argue that clothing/hair styles in most futuristic settings (like Hunger Games) are utterly ridiculous.

Also, though clothing has gotten better (meaning like how many stitches can be done with modern machines), people wear basically the same hairstyles as they always have with the exception of wigs being used during the Colonial period.

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I imagine sci-fi clothing would be similar to ours. Perhaps a bit sleeker, but similar. Modern clothing doesnt really need improvements or anything.