Motsu's free editing and feedback thread!

CrazyKid21

「Scarlet Dawn」
Tonight is a beautiful night.

A woman clad in black and red looked out of the window in awe at the moon centered in the red night sky. She wished that she could stay here and gaze at the moon but my “guests” downstairs wouldn’t let her do that.

「First paragraph is using the wrong tense, causing timeframe confusion. From what I've digested, this whole chapter uses past tense, and "is" is not a past tense.

Try to make it engaging. "Clad in black and red looked out of the window in awe at the moon centered in the red night sky" lacks definite characteristics that make the character and environment visually apparent. For example, ("A woman wore a coal black dress with a morsel of it exposing a crimson color. She stood near the window with her eyes focusing on the clear bright moon above the vermilion night ether.") which is more appropriate and specifically sufficient in terms of information it sends out.」

“Ms. Kasdeya, your guests are waiting for you.Someone informed her from the other side of the door.

“Right, I’m coming out.” Kasdeya answered in a
false sweet tone. She walked away from the window and towards the door. While doing so she dusted off her blouse and adjusted the buttons on it. She turned the knob and Joseph, her butler stood by the door in an elegant manner.

“Are you ready to go ma’am?”

「The dialogue does not need to use a period but a comma because it has a narrative description afterwards. Also, since it uses a comma, you don't need to capitalize the first letter. "False" is the wrong word here, so use the adverb because it acts as a modifier to the adjective.

And also, why is the name now revealed after the door has been opened? Wouldn't she be able to recognize his butler just by the voice?」

The butler gave her a nod and they proceeded to walk down the dim lit hallway. Something about this hallway gave me the chills. Even though she made it that way it still gave her a weird feeling. Maybe it was the crimson colored walls with black vertical stripes that could barely be seen from the human eye. Or was it the narrow passageway that gets smaller when you get closer. And to top it all off, there are no windows so you couldn’t tell if it’s dusk or dawn if you go all the way downstairs or get told ahead of time.

Kasdeya walked down the stairs with great confidence as her guests got closer. Before she could go down the last step, the regular routine played in her mind. The women would circle around her and praise her beauty and looks while the men would try to dance with her.

It was quite annoying to say the least but she did it for a while now to the point that it doesn’t bother hwe. It just became mundane…like everything else.

When Kasdeya reached the center of the floor, she basically ignored her guests and scanned the room for some vulnerable prey. Her eyes spotted some guy in his late 20’s early 30’s with short black hair and a gray suit standing by the punch bowl all by himself.

The raven haired woman was in the midst of making my way over when some guy grabbed her shoulder. She had no choice but to look over and see his uptight smug grin. She gave him a forced smile while fighting the urge not to kick him in the crotch.

She slowly made my way towards the punch bowl without getting detected. Even though it looked like she was going to make herself a drink, the woman was getting a better look at him. After she filled my cup, Kasdeya leaned on the table and watched everyone waltz on the dancefloor.

On the way back to her room, Kasdeya got to know William a little bit better. Turns out that he likes to write and read stories from time to time. That makes sense since he works as a publisher for the local Romanian paper. He then started to drone on and on about his career and such. But she could care less. She always doesn't care when someone brags about their life, it’s meaningless to her.

At this point, Kasdeya felt the poor guy, wait no, her prey struggling and gasping for air. The blood filled up his lungs. In a moment’s time he will stop moving all together.

She bit off a huge chunk of flesh while watching that loser sputter around in his own blood. She chewed on the piece of flesh and savored it. Mmm! Tastes like chicken! Kasdeya glanced down at William who had completely stopped moving like I predicted.

「Paraphrase.
  • Change to past tense.
  • Wrong pronouns for third POV.
  • Missing commas.
  • Italicize monologues from the last part.
  • Instead of doing this "At this point, Kasdeya felt the poor guy, wait no, her prey struggling and gasping for air.", you can do "At this point, Kasdeya felt the poor guy—her prey—struggling and gasping for air."
  • Kasdeya's name has been revealed, stop changing her name into "the raven-haired woman" or "woman" because it is being interpreted as another character. Just use "her" or "she" so not to confuse the readers unless if there was another character being introduced—use the actual name.
  • "It was quite annoying to say the least but she did it for a while now to the point that it doesn’t bother hwe. It just became mundane…like everything else." She did what for a while? If this was referring to the repetitive situation, try to rephrase that. And also, "it was quite annoying to say the least" is missing a denote to who was annoyed because this is interpreted as a monologue.
  • Make the paragraph engaging—it's very awkward and too rough around the edges and lack details.」

「POV error—there are mistakes of using personal pronouns and the presence of "my" and "me" which is probably added due to tunnel vision.」
「Please use adverbs and comma the right way and learn how to use them.」
「Please change everything to past tense since that's what you're using for your story.」

It's a good story, but there are some issues that really ruin the reading experience for the readers. It would really be better to use Grammarly, just in case, for minor assistance because it could style your paragraphs.
Thanks for the feedback!

Enchant

Want me to give you feedback?
Go ahead and show me your story.

「Nice to meet you! Call me Motsu or Nash—I am a freelancing editor and author. I collaborated through different projects and assisted many new writers in their journey of creating a deliberate yet appealing story. You can also contact me on discord—Nash#1188 or through the scribblehub discord server. Whatsoever, if you want to support me, then go ahead and read my
latest novel or subscribe to my channel. Hope to read your best novels!」

—Suggestion「Choose which chapter you would like to be reviewed.」
—Not stated/Default 「Automatically will only review both the synopsis and the first chapter or last chapter.」
—Word range 「Approximately 5,000 words (only applies for the suggestion). No extension allowed (will not consider payment).」
—Schedule 「Precisely more active every Saturday.」
—Feedback Per Day (PRD) 「Precisely 1-3 novels are accepted per day.」
—Preference「None. I'll add plus one for slice-of-life novels though...」
—Editing Style「Specific. (there was supposed to be a lot of option to choose but I decided this was an easier way for me to analyze).」

To avoid overlapping feedback or to gain new insights, consider reading my feedback aimed at other people's novels since the feedback may be applicable to yours too!

「LEGENDS」
Better.
Good.
Okay.
Neutral.
Mistake.
Revision.
Can you give me feedback on my first chapter of my novel.

melchi

What is a custom title?
One post back it says Motsu has closed this because too busy.

Horrible-Void

i finished the first chapter of my story and looking for any and all feedback

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
i finished the first chapter of my story and looking for any and all feedback

First of all, this is hard to read. Not only is the top-bottom line spacing compact, but the paragraphs themselves have been bundled together.
  • The story could benefit from clearer paragraph breaks and indentation to make it easier to read. Each new speaker should have a new paragraph to avoid confusion and make the dialogue clearer.
  • There are several instances where incorrect punctuation is used, such as missing or misplaced commas. Carefully proofread the text to ensure proper punctuation throughout.
  • Ensure that dialogue tags (e.g., "Chris said," "Evelyn replied") are properly punctuated and placed within the quotation marks.
  • There are a few sentences that are overly long or awkwardly structured. Consider breaking them up into shorter sentences for improved clarity and flow.
  • Pay attention to maintaining consistency in verb tenses throughout the story. There are a few instances where the verb tense switches abruptly.
  • Make sure to capitalize proper nouns, such as names and places, consistently throughout the story, and review the text for any spelling errors or typos that may have been overlooked.
Aside from any of that—which has greatly affected the fun factor of digesting information—I'd like to give some thoughts on your story.
  • The opening paragraph has some vivid descriptions of the clouds and the setting sun, but at times it can be a bit confusing. Try to simplify the sentences and make them more clear so that the reader can easily follow along.
  • While we get a sense of Chris and Liah's personalities, it would be beneficial to delve deeper into their thoughts, emotions, and motivations. This would help the reader connect with the characters on a deeper level and understand their actions and reactions better.
  • The dialogue between Chris and Liah feels a bit repetitive and could benefit from more variation and natural flow. Additionally, the pacing of the story could be improved by balancing the dialogue with other elements such as action or introspection.
  • The resolution of the conflict between Chris and Liah feels a bit abrupt and could use more development. Consider giving them a moment of understanding or a genuine conversation to resolve their differences rather than simply accepting their mother's instructions.
  • The transition from the first part of the story to the second is a bit abrupt. Consider adding a smoother transition to make the shift in focus and tone more seamless for the reader.
Although there are some errors present, I can see potential in the story's growth. I encourage you to keep writing and sharing it with readers who may find it captivating and filled with depth.
—Motsu​

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Hello, I appreciate your feedback on Chapter 1:

Horrible-Void

First of all, this is hard to read. Not only is the top-bottom line spacing compact, but the paragraphs themselves have been bundled together.
  • The story could benefit from clearer paragraph breaks and indentation to make it easier to read. Each new speaker should have a new paragraph to avoid confusion and make the dialogue clearer.
  • There are several instances where incorrect punctuation is used, such as missing or misplaced commas. Carefully proofread the text to ensure proper punctuation throughout.
  • Ensure that dialogue tags (e.g., "Chris said," "Evelyn replied") are properly punctuated and placed within the quotation marks.
  • There are a few sentences that are overly long or awkwardly structured. Consider breaking them up into shorter sentences for improved clarity and flow.
  • Pay attention to maintaining consistency in verb tenses throughout the story. There are a few instances where the verb tense switches abruptly.
  • Make sure to capitalize proper nouns, such as names and places, consistently throughout the story, and review the text for any spelling errors or typos that may have been overlooked.
Aside from any of that—which has greatly affected the fun factor of digesting information—I'd like to give some thoughts on your story.
  • The opening paragraph has some vivid descriptions of the clouds and the setting sun, but at times it can be a bit confusing. Try to simplify the sentences and make them more clear so that the reader can easily follow along.
  • While we get a sense of Chris and Liah's personalities, it would be beneficial to delve deeper into their thoughts, emotions, and motivations. This would help the reader connect with the characters on a deeper level and understand their actions and reactions better.
  • The dialogue between Chris and Liah feels a bit repetitive and could benefit from more variation and natural flow. Additionally, the pacing of the story could be improved by balancing the dialogue with other elements such as action or introspection.
  • The resolution of the conflict between Chris and Liah feels a bit abrupt and could use more development. Consider giving them a moment of understanding or a genuine conversation to resolve their differences rather than simply accepting their mother's instructions.
  • The transition from the first part of the story to the second is a bit abrupt. Consider adding a smoother transition to make the shift in focus and tone more seamless for the reader.
Although there are some errors present, I can see potential in the story's growth. I encourage you to keep writing and sharing it with readers who may find it captivating and filled with depth.
—Motsu​
Thank you very much :) I'll do my best to keep these things in mind going forward. Next chapter will hopefully flesh out the characters more as its set during a normal day for them.

MuseWeaver

Would love feedback on my webnovel, please look at the back cover and prologue

Last edited:

Motsu

Hello, I appreciate your feedback on Chapter 1:

Chapter 1:
Your story is captivating and engaging, with an intriguing premise centered around pyromancers and the Red Sky Covenant organization. The dialogue and action scenes add depth and excitement to the plot, showcasing the protagonist's well-thought-out strategy against Agantha.

However, there are areas that could be improved, such as:
  1. The need for clearer paragraph breaks and proper punctuation;
  2. Consistency in verb tenses and capitalization of proper nouns should also be maintained;
  3. Adding more descriptive language to immerse readers in the characters' emotions;
  4. Exploring the protagonist's motivations would enhance the story and;
  5. Providing more background information and world-building details would further captivate readers and enrich the story's universe.
Quick pointers:
  • "Agantha lifted her index fingers and extended them into the air. She effortlessly rotated her hands, tracing an arc that gradually formed a perfect circle. 'You're seriously breaking my heart believing that a mere smokescreen can save you.' With her command, fire pillars began spinning and moving in a motion similar to tornados."

Agantha lifted her index fingers, extending them into the air. With effortless grace, she rotated her hands, tracing an arc that gradually formed a perfect circle. "'You're seriously breaking my heart believing that a mere smokescreen can save you,' she taunted. With a swift command, fire pillars emerged from the ground, spinning and moving like fierce tornadoes, encircling the arena in a blaze of power."

The description of Agantha's actions is more specific, using sensory language to immerse the reader in the scene. The dialogue is integrated smoothly into the action, adding depth to Agantha's character and showcasing her confidence and power as a pyromancer.

• "I strengthened my grip. Sensors showed that the outer layers could hold for ten more seconds before I got barbequed. That's more than enough to fry her with electricity."

"I tightened my grip on Agantha, feeling the seconds ticking away on the sensors. The outer layers of the exosuit could withstand the intense heat for only ten more seconds before I risked being barbecued. But it was all part of my plan. With a controlled surge of electricity, I sent a shock through her body."

The protagonist's actions and thoughts are explored in more detail, allowing the reader to understand the strategy and risk involved in their battle with Agantha. The use of sensory language and emotions adds depth to the scene, making it more engaging and relatable for the reader.

Hi. I would appreciate feedback on the first chapter:

The Game of Empires: Lost in the Arena.
Chapter 1:

I'll be direct from here on out.

• The story would benefit from clearer paragraph breaks to enhance readability and create a more organized structure, especially when transitioning between events or settings.
  • Consistency in verb tenses should be maintained throughout the story to avoid confusing the reader with abrupt switches.
  • To immerse the reader in the action and emotions of the characters, it would be helpful to incorporate more descriptive and sensory language, showing emotions and actions through imagery (refer to examples above).
  • While the protagonist's emotions and reactions are well-presented, further development of their thoughts and motivations would make them more relatable and three-dimensional. Providing additional background information about the protagonist could also help readers connect with them on a deeper level.
  • It is important to carefully proofread the text for correct punctuation usage, including commas and periods, to maintain clarity and coherence in the narrative.
I definitely think that the first chapter needs a kind of ice-breaker, especially since it's really focused on the narrative part. May bore readers, but the style will work with the right interesting execution.
Would love feedback on my webnovel, please look at the back cover and prologue

Prologue:

• To improve the dialogue, try making it more dynamic by incorporating realistic speech patterns, emotions, and reactions among the characters.
  • Take the time to develop each scene in a more thorough manner, allowing readers to fully immerse themselves in the settings and emotions of the characters.
  • Enhance the reading experience by adding more clear and sensory details to the descriptions of the surroundings.
  • The conflict resolution between Moreen and Nylah feels rushed and could use more tension and complexity to create a more satisfying resolution. This would add depth to the overall story.
  • The story tends to rely on telling rather than showing emotions and actions of the characters. It would be more engaging and immersive for readers if the emotions and actions are depicted through behavior, body language, and interactions with others.
  • There are some grammar and punctuation mistakes throughout the text, which may distract readers. It's essential to carefully proofread and edit the work (which I won't be doing anymore) to ensure it is free from errors.
  • Consistency in characters' traits, personalities, and actions is crucial. Sudden changes in behavior without proper justification can confuse readers and should be avoided.
The story has a nice engaging and suspenseful atmosphere, with descriptions that create a strong sense of setting and emotion. Nice!

[Beep, beep!
I'll do the others next week. Also, they aren't that specific because I really don't have that much time even in the weekends.
Beep, boop!]

Last edited:

MuseWeaver

Prologue:

• To improve the dialogue, try making it more dynamic by incorporating realistic speech patterns, emotions, and reactions among the characters.
  • Take the time to develop each scene in a more thorough manner, allowing readers to fully immerse themselves in the settings and emotions of the characters.
  • Enhance the reading experience by adding more clear and sensory details to the descriptions of the surroundings.
  • The conflict resolution between Chris and Liah feels rushed and could use more tension and complexity to create a more satisfying resolution. This would add depth to the overall story.
  • The story tends to rely on telling rather than showing emotions and actions of the characters. It would be more engaging and immersive for readers if the emotions and actions are depicted through behavior, body language, and interactions with others.
  • There are some grammar and punctuation mistakes throughout the text, which may distract readers. It's essential to carefully proofread and edit the work (which I won't be doing anymore) to ensure it is free from errors.
  • Consistency in characters' traits, personalities, and actions is crucial. Sudden changes in behavior without proper justification can confuse readers and should be avoided.
The story has a nice engaging and suspenseful atmosphere, with descriptions that create a strong sense of setting and emotion. Nice!

[Beep, beep!
I'll do the others next week. Also, they aren't that specific because I really don't have that much time even in the weekends.
Beep, boop!]
Appreciate you taking the time to read and responding. I especially find point two and three helpful. Who is Chris and Liah? Where you talking about the conflict between Moreen and Nylah? Glad I was able to nail the atmosphere :p

Motsu

Appreciate you taking the time to read and responding. I especially find point two and three helpful. Who is Chris and Liah? Where you talking about the conflict between Moreen and Nylah? Glad I was able to nail the atmosphere :p
Apologies ⊂⁠(⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠⊂⁠ ⁠)⁠*⁠.⁠✧
Its my auto correction