Music while writing.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Youtube is so bad with that cause of the ads.
Especially with all the League of Legends adds that are like 2 - 4 minutes long
those are quite annoying to be honest

HappyVainGlory

I usually just play one song on loop while I'm writing. Recently, that has been Ariana Grande's thank u, next.

...It's a calming and sweet song, alright? :cautious:

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I listen to all sorts of different music, depending on what mood I'm in, or what scene I'm trying to write - for when I'm working on my story.
I tend to listen to full soundtracks of games, or of films, or of anime series.
Basically, background music to keep my mind awake and not make my surroundings seem so quiet and lonely.
I try not to listen to music with words, or words I can understand, because it would end up distracting me. >w<

If it's for poetry, I actually don't listen to any music, since it would influence my thoughts.

Of course, this is my own personal preference.

X
Yeah, music is a powerful tool that can help or mess up writing sometimes. But as a general rule, I listen to mostly instrumentals as it help me write better. Epic music are also pretty good.
Mmm I listen to classical music and operatic versions of movie/game soundtracks. They are very good at providing inspiration while not being distracting.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Mmm I listen to classical music and operatic versions of movie/game soundtracks. They are very good at providing inspiration while not being distracting.
I'll sometimes listen to that, too, along with other genres.
X

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
For me, it depends on what I'm writing because sometimes I use music to inspire me for particular things. i.e. a character, a feeling, overall theme.

If I need to plow through lots of writing, I get into the groove with Metallica. There is something about their music that just gets me through it all....also great music to clean my house with too. Just thought I'd sneak that in.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
What music do you listen to while you are writing? Or do you write in silence. Personally, I made a chill playlist for myself and they are filled with songs that I consider as serene and soothing. Plus Japanese music *cough cough* don't judge. Sometimes, I also just play random music on my playlist.

I write in silence, but I use music for plotting events. Aka, imagine the event while listening to music. As for which kind, depends on the event. If I am thinking of a sad scene, I'd listen to sad music. If I am thinking of a happy fluffy scene, I use more happy music.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
For me, it depends on what I'm writing because sometimes I use music to inspire me for particular things. i.e. a character, a feeling, overall theme.

If I need to plow through lots of writing, I get into the groove with Metallica. There is something about their music that just gets me through it all....also great music to clean my house with too. Just thought I'd sneak that in.
I write in silence, but I use music for plotting events. Aka, imagine the event while listening to music. As for which kind, depends on the event. If I am thinking of a sad scene, I'd listen to sad music. If I am thinking of a happy fluffy scene, I use more happy music.
You guys sound like experts.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
You guys sound like experts.

Not really, I did a degree in English Lit so alot of my exams were short or long essays, etc.... then the sort of jobs I did required lots of writing too....I lost my desire to write for the pure joy of it again until the last few years. What I lost in joy I gained in practical experience though... not sure what I think of that trade-off yet.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Not really, I did a degree in English Lit so alot of my exams were short or long essays, etc.... then the sort of jobs I did required lots of writing too....I lost my desire to write for the pure joy of it again until the last few years. What I lost in joy I gained in practical experience though... not sure what I think of that trade-off yet.
That's rather unfortunate but I do believe once you find something that you really want to write about the joy of writing will come back.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
That's rather unfortunate but I do believe once you find something that you really want to write about the joy of writing will come back.

I've been writing since I was 8. >.< I've grown up writing and can't imagine my life without it. :giggle:

I'm currently working on what I call my Family Gossip Memoirs. It's a labour of love.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
I've been writing since I was 8. >.< I've grown up writing and can't imagine my life without it. :giggle:

I'm currently working on what I call my Family Gossip Memoirs. It's a labour of love.
hmm do your best with that!

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
I listen to all kinds.
I love instrumental.
https://m.youtube.com/user/ToaRush1325
This channel has some awesome, beautiful, pieces of arts of Instrumentmal Music on his channel.

I also found EDM Ocrestra Music is a thing~
But mostly I listen to music to block out my loud siblings. Yes, I listen to songs with words. I do find them helpful actually. They can like enfluemce my choices of words. Sometimes, that’s only somtimes. I also have my own YT playlists that listen to. I guess I should update those playlists.