Music while writing.

D

Deleted member 697

I listen to a lot of instrumentals when I write, it helps set the mood for my brain. I have trouble focusing. I seriously think I have ADHD because for the life of me I can't even watch anime without fidgetting with something. Listening to music calms me down in a way and make me focus. That is before procrastination happens.

#ProcrastinationLife
But same on not being able to focus. It's become a problem for me now a days. I used to be able to watch anime marathons without a problem when I was a kid but now it's hard for me to do alone...

Depending on the chapter, I change up the music to fit the mood

Stormie

[Kite-Flying On A Boat ⛵]
I go with instrumentals and game songs when writing. Silence would be good, too. The lyrics distracts me and I usually just find myself singing along when I should be writing.

On that note, I can't read when the music is on or when it is noisy in general.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
I think the music you listen to should change depending on the genre of story you're writing since what you hear can affect what you imagine
listening to j-pop while trying to write a scene about the death of a significant character might not be a good idea since you might be influenced by the music~
And listening to some gothic music while trying to write a light-hearted scene could be a little difficult to some
Though this is just from what I've seen others complain about and it might not be the same for everyone, maybe you can write anything as long as the music gets you energetic~

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I think the music you listen to should change depending on the genre of story you're writing since what you hear can affect what you imagine
listening to j-pop while trying to write a scene about the death of a significant character might not be a good idea since you might be influenced by the music~
And listening to some gothic music while trying to write a light-hearted scene could be a little difficult to some
Though this is just from what I've seen others complain about and it might not be the same for everyone, maybe you can write anything as long as the music gets you energetic~
Yeah, music is a powerful tool that can help or mess up writing sometimes. But as a general rule, I listen to mostly instrumentals as it help me write better. Epic music are also pretty good.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Yeah, music is a powerful tool that can help or mess up writing sometimes. But as a general rule, I listen to mostly instrumentals as it help me write better. Epic music are also pretty good.
+1 I’m totally the same!

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I listen to all sorts of different music, depending on what mood I'm in, or what scene I'm trying to write - for when I'm working on my story.
I tend to listen to full soundtracks of games, or of films, or of anime series.
Basically, background music to keep my mind awake and not make my surroundings seem so quiet and lonely.
I try not to listen to music with words, or words I can understand, because it would end up distracting me. >w<

If it's for poetry, I actually don't listen to any music, since it would influence my thoughts.

Of course, this is my own personal preference.

X

Ophious

To me when I write I tend to listen to the sound of rain with piano
It's soothing and if I am ever confused on where I want the story to go I'll just stop and listen to the rain to calm down and then retrace my thinking process
sometimes I'll change it up if I'm at an important scene or a scene that I think needs to be especially cool like a grand wedding or a revenge match

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
To me when I write I tend to listen to the sound of rain with piano
I really love piano ones they help me so much and I think lo-fi fit the sound or rain. One of my favourites would probably My Lie from Your Lie in April. I think for the sound of rain that would be lo-fi if I'm not wrong.

I tend to listen to full soundtracks of games, or of films, or of anime series.
Basically, background music to keep my mind awake and not make my surroundings seem so quiet and lonely.
I try not to listen to music with words, or words I can understand, because it would end up distracting me. >w<
So like OST? And I get what you mean by background music, I don't really like working in complete silence it bothers me more than when there is background music.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I can't access the third playlist but I'm guessing it's also a Japanese song playlist.
Oh right, it was set to private. Sorry. Here, I have unprivated it.

Some of the songs in the first link are actually Italian.

Ophious

I really love piano ones they help me so much and I think lo-fi fit the sound or rain. One of my favourites would probably My Lie from Your Lie in April. I think for the sound of rain that would be lo-fi if I'm not wrong.
*high-five* Aye nice choice there~
I just let youtube play the next song for me so I basically leave it up to fate and youtubes algorithm for my music

Nahrenne

So like OST? And I get what you mean by background music, I don't really like working in complete silence it bothers me more than when there is background music.
Yeah, like OSTs.
Only, it's the entire soundtrack, not just one OST.
X

Nahrenne

I just let youtube play the next song for me so I basically leave it up to fate and youtubes algorithm for my music
You are playing a dangerous game there!
OwO

X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Oh right, it was set to private. Sorry. Here, I have unprivated it.

Some of the songs in the first link are actually Italian.
The first link had some really nice songs, they reminded me of epic songs.

I see that we have a risk taker over here. Almost as dangerous as Mr.Simple listening to Rock music while writing.

Yeah, like OSTs.
Only, it's the entire soundtrack, not just one OST.
X
Those tend to last around 1-3 hours right?

Ophious

I see that we have a risk taker over here. Almost as dangerous as Mr.Simple listening to Rock music while writing.
I atleast choose the first song and hope the rest follow that one type
it usually works out
though sometimes it changes into food reviews or something like that because I tend to watch those alot too
they help when writing about food but I don't do that often so.... yeah

Nahrenne

Those tend to last around 1-3 hours right?
Yep, I don't like sudden pauses in music, since it means I'd have to stop what I'm doing, or be brought out of my writing zone mind, which is quite distracting for me.
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I atleast choose the first song and hope the rest follow that one type
it usually works out
though sometimes it changes into food reviews or something like that because I tend to watch those alot too
they help when writing about food but I don't do that often so.... yeah
Yep, I don't like sudden pauses in music, since it means I'd have to stop what I'm doing, or be brought out of my writing zone mind, which is quite distracting for me.
X
Youtube is so bad with that cause of the ads.