My Experience Writing Sci-fi

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
I've always had a stronger affinity for fantasy over sci-fi. It's the genre I gravitate towards when it comes to my favorite books, movies, games, and series, and it's reflected in my writing as well. It's been extremely satisfying to witness my story evolve, including more and more sci-fi elements, but I do have some questions. As I delve into the research on spaceships and nanomachines, I can't help but ponder: how did this happen? I've never read a sci-fi book in my life, but here I am, writing sci-fi, and it befuddles me. What does this mean? How did this happen? And has something like this ever happened to you?

ScribbleHub Covers.jpg

TotallyHuman

I don't write sci-fi but I really like it sometimes. Some short stories I read in my childhood that have made me who I am were in this genre. Curiously enough, fantasy was a genre I came across when I was more or less a teenager
SailusGebel, a princess and the fastest shot in the west

detroitapollo

I've always had a stronger affinity for fantasy over sci-fi. It's the genre I gravitate towards when it comes to my favorite books, movies, games, and series, and it's reflected in my writing as well. It's been extremely satisfying to witness my story evolve, including more and more sci-fi elements, but I do have some questions. As I delve into the research on spaceships and nanomachines, I can't help but ponder: how did this happen? I've never read a sci-fi book in my life, but here I am, writing sci-fi, and it befuddles me. What does this mean? How did this happen? And has something like this ever happened to you?

View attachment 22238
It's called getting so invested on your own fiction.

I see that you're downplaying your rich imaginations. You have to remember too that those spaceships you're thinking of were also imagined by people going through the same situation like yours when they wrote/created those machines.

Aren't you glad that your simple "daydreaming" actually bear fruit to a something more greater that even yourself couldn't believe you've done it?

Also I like the AI looking art 😁

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You probably played mass effect or watched Gundam or something.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Except if it's a hard sci-fi story you write, you don't have to give any details to how a spaceship move and how it work. You have to do some research for all the thing that touch space but you don't have to make it complicated. All sci-fi story are imagination, they can describe however they want that still either their imagination or just theory that they found/learn.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
My experience with sci-fi:
  • It draws in people who think they are Neil deGrasse Tyson. But without the knowledge, only the attitude.
  • It is not as popular as fantasy.
My conclusion:

If Star Trek can get away with tech mumbo-jumbo, so should we so don't stress over it. Even if some self-entitled technophile says iTs nOt HoW iT wOrKs!

It is now. Deal with it.

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
My experience with sci-fi:
  • It draws in people who think they are Neil deGrasse Tyson. But without the knowledge, only the attitude.
  • It is not as popular as fantasy.
My conclusion:

If Star Trek can get away with tech mumbo-jumbo, so should we so don't stress over it. Even if some self-entitled technophile says iTs nOt HoW iT wOrKs!

It is now. Deal with it.
I've been expecting such people :blob_no:

Succubiome

People will probably complain no matter what you do, really.
I'm often surprised by what I end up writing as the story evolves!

And it's cool that you're writing an increasingly sci-fi story without being super familiar with the genre-- I think writing outside of genre familiarity can have really interesting takes on the same concepts everyone's been working with for decades. I mean, it can also have ancient takes and think they're new, but hey, that's worth it for the new takes, IMO.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Not really. I just dance around describing stuff I don't understand, like space travel

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
*wistful sigh* I need to take a break from parenting books and enjoy some science fiction.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Making up lore is an annoying puzzle to craft, but it's satisfying when it fits together.

Thinking about enemies lore isnt interesting but it's one of the most important key because it defines the strengths that'll terrorize your mc and the weaknesses the MC will luckily find

For instance, space pirates being former asteroid miners or military deserters will change their approach and blindspots. This also applies to technologies, like how much space and weight restrictions do ship have, how ships dissipate heat, what restrictions does have FTL on ships and affect their design and operation, how refractive shielding might have made laser weaponry archaic...

Sometimes it feels like a chore, sometimes it feels interesting to dream up bullshit