My Lack of Commitment With Writing

XiomaraLove

A year ago I created this account with the intention of writing and posting a story. I also had a wattpad which I used to post one story. However, writing Chapter five made me realized I don’t know what to do from here. I knew what the ending was but the path towards that ending felt uncertain. I started criticizing the book. This sentence was flat. The description was boring. Did this chapter have little dialogue? Was this character’s dialogue weird? Should I include this scene? Was I supposed to make them do that? I put the book on hiatus, thinking that I was going to write it over, and then I just deleted it. Since then I stopped trying to write.

Not really. I started developing story ideas. I obsessed over them for a couple days then move on to another ideas. I have 53 ideas on the notes app.

Recently, I had a new story idea. A trilogy… I don’t know why my brain decided to condemn me. For the first book I have the three arcs planned out, I named the main characters, I gave them personalities and I thought about the setting. The one year curse is over. I can finally write.

Sitting at my desk, one sentence stared at me from my tablet.

I’m stuck, guys. How do I continue and write?

Last edited:

greyliliy

First question: Is writing a fun hobby you're looking to share?

Yes? Post the WIP or don't post anything. Leave it on hiatus. Work on whatever you want. Post it just to share with friends. Have fun. No pressure.

No? If you're looking to be serious and publish, you get to buckle down and force it. Don't know what scene comes next? Put placeholder brackets and move on. [Scene goes here] is a lifesaver.

You got this.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Just write the worst story you can write with the most nonsensical characters you can come up with. You often stop writing because you're trying to make it go in one direction, when in reality you should probably just free your mind and write whatever you want.

After you've written it, you can take the time to shape it back to normal.

XiomaraLove

First question: Is writing a fun hobby you're looking to share?

Yes? Post the WIP or don't post anything. Leave it on hiatus. Work on whatever you want. Post it just to share with friends. Have fun. No pressure.

No? If you're looking to be serious and publish, you get to buckle down and force it. Don't know what scene comes next? Put placeholder brackets and move on. [Scene goes here] is a lifesaver.

You got this.
It’s a hobby but I guess I’m treating it like I’m a washed up screenwriter trying to write the next big hit.

greyliliy

It’s a hobby but I guess I’m treating it like I’m a washed up screenwriter trying to write the next big hit.
That's probably your issue. Lol. Relax. Have some fun!

Embrace the learning process and accept well meaning critique for the love of the craft and block the criticism.

You'll probably start and stop dozens of stories until one clicks.

Succubiome

Your taste/critical skill outpacing your writing skill is better than the reverse-- it means it'll be easier to improve since you can see the parts of your writing you don't like.

...of course, that'll only happen if you just accept that each sentence and story you write isn't going to be the best ever, and write anyways.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
A year ago I created this account with the intention of writing and posting a story. I also had a wattpad which I used to post one story. However, writing Chapter five made me realized I don’t know what to do from here. I knew what the ending was but the path towards that ending felt uncertain. I started criticizing the book. This sentence was flat. The description was boring. Did this chapter have little dialogue? Was this character’s dialogue weird? Should I include this scene? Was I supposed to make them do that? I put the book on hiatus, thinking that I was going to write it over, and then I just deleted it. Since then I stopped trying to write.

Not really. I started developing story ideas. I obsessed over them for a couple days then move on to another ideas. I have 53 ideas on the notes app.

Recently, I had a new story idea. A trilogy… I don’t know why my brain decided to condemn me. For the first book I have the three arcs planned out, I named the main characters, I gave them personalities and I thought about the setting. The one year curse is over. I can finally write.

Sitting at my desk, one sentence stared at me from my tablet.

I’m stuck, guys. How do I continue and write?
Getting oneself to write isn't a one-day process, but is actually an accumulation of small steps that eventually led to you writing your own story.

What do I mean by this? Starting stories are as hard--or even harder--than continuing it. For me, in order to get my head and attitude into writing, I would spend days trying to write. One sentence, two, then one whole paragraph, two. If it takes you time, it's fine. Think of yourself like a car, with a cold engine, and you're getting it warmed up for the long drive.

Then, focusing on what you do will help as well. Remove any type of distraction as you write, so you can do more with your time. If you have to avoid watching, do it. If you have to keep away from games, do it. Key is focus and consistency; once you got it all mastered, working on a story will be much easier.