My work feels boring

Arkus86

So it's Kumo desu-ga and Tensura-type. Skill tree and class evolution stuff, you know

For example:
In this story, my MC is orientated to be a fighter, but he doesn't have the physique of a fighter. So the System gives him the ability to find his opponent's weakest point. It's not as simple as it sounds because even if the MC decides to attack that point, the percentage of success is never 100%. Therefore, after going through several battles and winning, Sytem gave him a skill that could increase the success percentage of his attacks.

Sorry if this sounds too complicated, English isn't my first languange

I like Sytem stories and think they're fun, like Solo Levelling and Tensura. Even though story-wise it's standard, it's something interesting to follow. But, the problem is that I don't know what makes it so interesting
I agree with @TrashyHuman . The way you put it, your system is deux ex machina, giving rewards without effort. And if it's doing that for MC, it should be doing it for everyone else too... which I imagine would get tricky to handle soon. If the system has to stay, the MC should be working hard for the special abilities he gets, pushing the limits of the basic class I assume he got, or trying to work outside its usual boundaries.

Also, get rid of the "hard-coded" success chance. Make it dependent on the MC's execution of the skill, the accuracy with which he can hit the weakpoints. As he works on it, give him a boost to his agility/speed, that would translate in more accurate execution of the skill.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
The market is oversaturated with system novels to the point that it is very difficult to have an original idea and not rely on cliches. Write what you want but unless if you either rebuild your system from the ground up or remove the overdone tropes of system novels it will probably get buried under all the others. @TrashyHuman @Premier @KrakenRiderEmma and @Hans.Trondheim had good points so consider their thoughts.

Drytron

Well, I can't. The system is the main concept, if I remove it, then I'll have to rewrite all of it
Keep the system but don't post it in SH. Only post GL in SH. Everything else will get downrated trust me.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
First of all, write what you want. If you like system stuff then who's to tell you to drop it because of other people's personal biases/interest? Been seeing a lot of people bash it recently like they have a vendetta. And to be fair, I used to be the same until I dabbled into it. Was never a fan (and despised them) until I actually read them and began writing one myself. (Rant over).

If you want to focus on the 'System' and the 'Emotional' part of the story then why not intertwine them? E.g, unlock stronger stuff the more emotionally moved the character is. It's fun seeing strong stuff and there doesn't always need to be a downside. With the emotions, it could very well just be the MC losing it or becoming an incoherent mess.

Fun can be difficult depending on the setting. Ultimately, it will be your characters who will make things fun. Believe me when I say they are the soul of the story regardless if it's LitRPG, system-esque or not.

You can do this either through creative use of their powers, personality, interaction, or how they present themselves. In Kumo Desu Ga you had a witty protagonist that made light of their dark situation. I thought that was fun (alibet sometimes annoying). In the Reincarnated as a Slime you have an equally witty skill that mentored the MC.

Hell, even in Overlord you had a clinically insane supporting cast worship a totally normal guy in the body of a monster. I loved that dynamic so much. Solo Levelling had stakes and an ever reaching power scale which I loved (aside from the ending).

If by fun you mean interesting, then I think the world itself needs to be interesting first. What's in it? Are the stakes super high for the MC? A creative approach to situations will probably work well since you described them as being physically inept.

Why not have them meet some unfortunate event and have them slowly get out of their rut? They're inept now, but later they're physically capable, and because of this, their 'weakness exploit skill' really starts to shine. (Cliche, I know. But everyone LOVES underdog stories). It's one way to keep it interesting. From there, it depends on what you want the MC to do, what's at stake, what's the world like beyond their scope, etc.

Think Solo Levelling, Arifureta, Kumo Desu Ga, that Slime Reincarnation one, Dungeon Reset - You became attached to them because you wanted to see them succeed and escape the hole they found themselves in.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
the problem is that I don't know what makes it so interesting
In my mind, the main draw of a system is to guarantee an opportunity for growth. It doesn't exist to hand you things on a silver platter, it exists to make something you had no chance of getting possible- at a cost.

The secondary draw is Rule of Cool or Power Gaming. The system does exist to hand things to you on a silver platter, but only because it's cool. If the system can make things less cool, it's a bad system.

In this story, my MC is orientated to be a fighter, but he doesn't have the physique of a fighter. So the System gives him the ability to find his opponent's weakest point. It's not as simple as it sounds because even if the MC decides to attack that point, the percentage of success is never 100%. Therefore, after going through several battles and winning, Sytem gave him a skill that could increase the success percentage of his attacks.
The MC needs to earn these skills. It doesn't have to be difficult. The MC just needs to try. They need to look for the weak points themselves, and after hitting a few, then they get the skill for detecting weak points. They shouldn't get a skill to make it easier after that, they should get a skill for making a successful hit more significant. For example, a backstab skill that increases the damage, or a sundering skill that creates more weak points to exploit.

A lot more could be said, but you were so vague about things that I don't know what's relevant. I guess the most important piece of advice is to look at the stories you liked, and see what parts you liked.

Did you like Kumo because of the tense fighting and weird dynamic with the meddling gods? Maybe the LitRPG wasn't the main draw.

Did you like Slime because of the 'gotta catch em all' power stealing, but not care at all about the fighting? Maybe you should be aiming for a more pokemon or stardew style of story.

Maybe the appeal was the world building or character development? Then Adventure/Fantasy tropes may be more important than bogging down your mind with meaningless numbers and optimizations.

Is cheating and shocking enemies who think logically more important than tense fights? Maybe some comedic tropes or gaming tm was the thing that actually caught your attention.

Either way, don't listen to the people who say not to bother. LitRPG is fun, but not for everybody. Just like every genre. Find the things that draw you in, make them the center of your story, and then maybe throw in other bits for flavor.