Writing Need help with finding a word for magic mana monster mutations

expentio

So in my stories, playing in a medieval fantasy world, the world had something like a minor apocalypse through the introduction of magic (it was more advanced before). All kinds of catastrophes, and world-shifting effects. One thing in particular would be that some living beings who got something like an overdose (only a relatively small partition) started to mutate and, especially in the case of animals, turned into monsters. Now there are some specifics, like differences between long-time exposure and fast mutation, but especially in the case of the second, it would be that the creatures start to build out features grow bigger, stronger, or gain other, possibly even very exotic properties. They become ravenous for more magic so their body can keep up and hunt other living beings to fuel it. At the end, a still somewhat hungry, but not quite as mad monster form exists, which eventually started to reproduce.

Now for the question, what would the people living through all those dangerous times for thousands of years likely have named this kind of process? That a normal animal turns within a few days from a somewhat normal creature into a far stronger and much more predatory creature. Fantasy names would be fine too.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Corruption
Demonification
Contamination
And other bad sounding words because surely in thousands of years a religion is formed explaining it in a bad way

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Mana Corruption
Mana Intoxication
Mana Mutation

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
So in my stories, playing in a medieval fantasy world, the world had something like a minor apocalypse through the introduction of magic (it was more advanced before). All kinds of catastrophes, and world-shifting effects. One thing in particular would be that some living beings who got something like an overdose (only a relatively small partition) started to mutate and, especially in the case of animals, turned into monsters. Now there are some specifics, like differences between long-time exposure and fast mutation, but especially in the case of the second, it would be that the creatures start to build out features grow bigger, stronger, or gain other, possibly even very exotic properties. They become ravenous for more magic so their body can keep up and hunt other living beings to fuel it. At the end, a still somewhat hungry, but not quite as mad monster form exists, which eventually started to reproduce.

Now for the question, what would the people living through all those dangerous times for thousands of years likely have named this kind of process? That a normal animal turns within a few days from a somewhat normal creature into a far stronger and much more predatory creature. Fantasy names would be fine too.
Normal people would call it demonification, corruption or monsterfication.
People that study it or hunt monster for a long time or simply know how it happens would call mana overdose, high mana exposure or mana mutations.

LORD_SHAXX

Refracting
Refacing

expentio

Refracting
Refacing
Not very sure about this. Could you elaborate? Re- usually means something happens again or goes to a former state, right? But the monster mutation is more of a one-time thing. Also, at this point in time people would be quite downgraded in civilization, so better no overly technical words. Something like mana corruption was what I thought about. Yet people wouldn't even do research in magic in this time, so wouldn't know what mana is.

Manafestation doesn't sound too bad, but how it's put together makes it sound a bit like a pun. For the people it would've been quite the serious thing.

LilRora

Mostly formless
The obvious answer for me would be corruption. It might not fit your idea, but it's definitely going to fit the average Joe's idea that there's a normal monster and something made it bigger and badder. My general advice would be, don't overthink it. Simple names generally work best, even if they don't describe the creature quite as well as you'd like to.

One thing I wanna point out, nothing says you have to decide on a single name. I think it would be nice if at first the readers only knew them as mutants, then learned they're called Warped (or whatever else) in the educated strata of the society as some old wizard with a mighty beard enlightens them regarding their true nature, so monsters warped because of the accelerated mutations caused by mana overload. Or, well, whatever.

Point is, no need for perfectly accurate naming and explanations, especially at the beginning of the story. Mutants, or some random made-up name, will work just fine until you need a more detailed explanation.

Last edited:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
There are endless possibilities, several of which people have already suggested. But in this situation where it has already been that way a long time, they might well settle on the standard seen in a lot of litrpg type things where they'd just call it; "Evolution", "Monster Evolution", "Monstrification", "Bestification" or the like.

Praybird

As someone who wrote a very similar process in their lore...I called it mana evolution, plain and simple. Just my two cents.

TransCatGirl

Might want to try googling something like "alternative theory of evolution", you might found something that works similar or find words would help.

e.g. from wikipedia

.Orthogenesis, also known as orthogenetic evolution, progressive evolution, evolutionary progress, or progressionism, is an obsolete biological hypothesis that organisms have an innate tendency to evolve in a definite direction towards some goal (teleology) due to some internal mechanism or "driving force".

Even if your mutations work completely differently you could still refer to them as mana progressionism.