Writing Need help with writing skill/experience for stories

Ophelia

Writing webnovels on different websites has been a pretty fun dream of mine, and I have attempted in doing so but i've always ended up dropping my stories due to a few different points of writing.

There are 3 main parts of writing a story I need help on and I have looked for other stories to find anything to help me with it.

First, how do you write in 3rd person and first person? I get that writing in 3rd person is great for world building, but I don't really get how to actually write in it. For example, I always ended up doing something weird like making their thoughts in italics or something since I never really understood how to do it. The same issue goes for first person, I found it challenging to actually write and build up my story without it sounding like it was too rushed.

Next, how do you write dialogue? When I wrote dialogue, I usually found myself using far too many "someone's name said" or "he said" or "she said", etc. I just haven't really found a way around it since when i skip out on too many of them, the story reads awkward.

Finally the hardest part, writing action. I find writing action hard since you have to mix dialogue, "sound effects" as well as explaining the scene itself. It's weird trying to narrate a scene in a first person story and I find it difficult trying to do so in a third person story as well. It always ends up rushed, with different attacks or actions rushing the fight too quickly and not really building anything to the story, I might as well could have just said that the main character beat this monster or creature straight up.

So if you went through the effort of reading through everything I have written down here, I would really like it for you to please offer suggestions and/or examples of any of these 3 points as well as any other suggestions you might have for me.

Thanks! >.<

I hope I can finally write a story I can complete without dropping due to my lack of writing experience as well as skill since afterall, Im just a reader who aspires to write about their own world and read through the comments while interacting with the readers.

Agentt

Thighs
I mean....what do you expect me to tell you here?
I think it might be better you drop a paragraph from your story for us to see first

D

Deleted member 54065

Writing webnovels on different websites has been a pretty fun dream of mine, and I have attempted in doing so but i've always ended up dropping my stories due to a few different points of writing.

There are 3 main parts of writing a story I need help on and I have looked for other stories to find anything to help me with it.

First, how do you write in 3rd person and first person? I get that writing in 3rd person is great for world building, but I don't really get how to actually write in it. For example, I always ended up doing something weird like making their thoughts in italics or something since I never really understood how to do it. The same issue goes for first person, I found it challenging to actually write and build up my story without it sounding like it was too rushed.
For me, I write my story in a combined 1st Person POV and 3rd Person POV (either limited or omnipotent, depending on the need of the scene). Sometimes, I'm so used to 1st Person POV that I unintentionally write in that POV when the scene is meant for 3rd Person POV, especially during the 1st Draft (vomit draft). In that case, I simply change the 'I' pronouns to the character names and 3rd person pronouns (he, she, they).

For example:

My draft (I accidentally wrote it in 1st Person POV). Please take note of the italics, which is my MC's thought.

"But do you have any clan in mind that you wanted killed, or annihilated, ghoul lord?" I returned the question to him. I'd say, this noble is easily controlled.

My actual manuscript (I decided to switch in 3rd Person POV).

"But do you have any clan in mind that you wanted killed, or annihilated, ghoul lord?" the Lord Greg returned the question to him. This noble is easily controlled, the human noble thought.

So here, I barely changed the narrative, but I switched from 1st Person POV to 3rd Person POV. As for the thoughts, yes, I also use italics to convey that it is the character's thoughts, though I usually include tags to indicate that it is this certain character's thoughts.

Next, how do you write dialogue? When I wrote dialogue, I usually found myself using far too many "someone's name said" or "he said" or "she said", etc. I just haven't really found a way around it since when i skip out on too many of them, the story reads awkward.
Before I delve into the dialogue or the banters of the characters, I usually establish first who are these characters and their names. For example:

"Tense silence suddenly enveloped the entire assembly, as the elders of the various demon clans waited upon their counterparts to speak. Then, after a few minutes, the human lord, Greg Santos, finally broke the ice.

"Do you believe that all demons are created equal?" he asked.

"What do you mean by that, Lord Greg?" an incubus elder replied with a question.

"Well, for example," the human lord took his pistol and placed it on the table before everyone. "If I asked you ho among the clans should I kill and annihilate in the name of the demon king-president, who will you choose and why?"

In my example, I used to identify my human character, Greg Santos, as the human lord. As such, instead of the usual 'he said'/'she said', I could use other ways to refer to him, like the 'human lord', and the action he was doing at the moment. That way, it won't be repetitive. This is more effective when you got several characters engaged in a conversation.

For two-character talks, I just use dialogue tags in the early parts of their conversation, then continue with the flow, until I need to indicate something important, like an action being done while speaking. For example,

"A constitution you say, milord?" a goblin elder asked. "Pray, do tell us more about this, Lord Greg."

"Well, to put it simply, Cherflammen will be under a federal republic," the Lord Greg paused a bit before continuing. "As such, it won't be ruled by a king or a monarch, and a constitution is needed. It just a set of laws created to guarantee your rights, privileges and freedoms, as long as you submit to the authority of your elected demon king-president."

"Hmm...isn't it that the Prince Hurion swore to uphold our rights and privileges when we agreed to submit to his authority before?"

"You did. And I thank you for that wise decision. However, a constitution would set your freedoms and its limitations on paper, where we can always read and consult it before making a decision. For short, think of it as something of a covenant between your clans and the demon king-president."

If you noticed, there's dialogues here where I didn't say who's speaking, yet you can infer that it is spoken by the goblin noble or the human lord. This is just a two-way conversation, so just by looking at the pattern of their talk, you'll know who's speaking...thus, the dialogue tags (he said/she said) isn't necessary.

Finally the hardest part, writing action. I find writing action hard since you have to mix dialogue, "sound effects" as well as explaining the scene itself. It's weird trying to narrate a scene in a first person story and I find it difficult trying to do so in a third person story as well. It always ends up rushed, with different attacks or actions rushing the fight too quickly and not really building anything to the story, I might as well could have just said that the main character beat this monster or creature straight up.
If I'm writing actions, I rarely use 'onomatopeias' or 'sound effects'. Well, before, I'm using it; nowadays, I find it awkward. In any case, here's how I write action parts in my work:

1st Person POV action scene

**Greg**

The courtyard of Castle Darkmoor was taken without a shot fired. Lady Shevaun’s offensive from the north was a resounding success, as we observed from the skies, and she was now marching to capture the city itself. There was sporadic resistance, but I guess, this battle was already lost for the Lord Haya.

However, this war won’t be won without Princess Noir, and it’s our job to rescue her.

So, taking advantage of the panic, we swooped in the Usarved palace, finding the remaining elves setting up their defenses along the walls of Castle Darkmoor. As I was told before that they would have difficulty in looking at the dark, I had a wind blow their candles out. Once darkness enveloped them, the ‘Jägers’ moved in.

There was no contest, as the elves were stunned and were easily killed or captured and disarmed. However, this applied to those who were outside the palace itself. For those who were still inside, they still had few precious seconds to prepare for our assault.

“!!!”

The ‘Jägers’ began the attack by lobbing grenades through the door and windows of the palace. The explosions happened almost simultaneously, and we didn’t even wait for the smoke and dust to settle. The elf guards who were caught in the blast were instantly killed, while those who survived tried to fight back.

“Shit!” I immediately ducked as the bullets flew. Based from the weapons we captured at the courtyard, I was shocked to see that these elves were carrying modern guns—M4A1s, high-powered assault rifles from my world. We didn’t have time to interrogate our prisoners, but I’d like to know where they got those.

Meanwhile, my companions were also taking cover, as per our training. The elves’ weakness in the dark was compensated by their highly-developed instincts, so they could still shoot at us, though not as accurate as I assumed it to be. As for me, I couldn’t see well, too, so I just remained in my spot ’till one of our demons took advantage of it and shot back at our foes, felling them.

“Sir, they’re easy to shoot!” the soldier told me in jest. “They are just standing there firing their guns!”

“Well, I’m human and I can’t see properly in the dark, mind you!” I countered. “So, if you’re that confident in your skills, you better carry us, hotshot!

My companions laughed, which somehow made the tense situation a bit lighter. But soon, we returned to our serious faces as we searched the castle for our goals. The maid, Angelli, gave us a good information on where we should expect resistance, including where the guards were usually positioned. The method I taught the ‘Jägers’: ‘Throw a grenade’, wait for the boom, close in to kill’ worked smoothly, and soon the entire palace was littered with elf corpses.

We also had the chance to pick up our enemies’ weapons, which was significantly better than the ‘Bolt-Heater’ revolver we’re using. However, as we were not trained to use it, we just left those on the spot where it fell.

Besides, I don’t like the proliferation of these kinds of arms in the aftermath of this conflict, so I’m planning to have it all destroyed.

Our progress went unimpeded. Those who tried to resist were killed, while those who surrendered were disarmed, restrained and taken out to the courtyard. And then, finally, we stood outside the doors of the Lord Haya’s private chambers, with the elves standing guard surrendering their weapons. They also informed us that it was locked, with the Lord Haya, a demon lady, and three of their comrades inside.

Yes, that’s Princess Noir, alright.

“…”

Of course, we expected it to be locked—even barricaded—from the other side. The Lord Haya had time to prepare, after all. Now the problem was, if we threw a grenade, we might end up killing everyone inside, including Her Highness. But, if we tried to force the doors open, the risk of his guards shooting at us were high, and we might sustain fatalities, which—up to this point—was still a possibility.

“!!!”

As we slowed down to rethink of our strategy, however, three huge monsters broke out of the demon lord’s room and fought against us. We were all surprised, for we had no idea that there were those creatures inside the private chambers.

“How the fuck did these monsters get in?” the orc who was with us blurted out, as he desperately fought back with his pistol. He was quickly overwhelmed though and was thrown towards the wall, suffering injuries.

One of my companions then uttered a fire spell, and threw it on our enemies, setting them alight. To my horror, I recognized that the monsters we’re dealing with were minotaurs, and they went berserk even when they were burning.

As I was a general of the Goblin Legion, the members of the ‘Jägers’ immediately moved to protect me. However, I won’t allow it; though I’m their leader, I preferred leading on the front, rather than commanding from the rear. So, without delay, I grabbed one of the captured M4A1s, kneeled and aimed at the heads of the minotaurs. Our bullets won’t simply kill them, as shown by the orc earlier, but disabling these creatures could help.

“!!!”

A couple of shots, and the first minotaur was blinded. I followed it with more, and took out the sight of the other two monsters. When the ‘Jägers’ saw what I was doing, they opened fire as well. I think even a leviathan from Cherwind wouldn’t survive the hail of bullets that rained on the creatures. Soon, we got three smoldering minotaur corpses, and an open door to Princess Noir…

3rd Person POV action scene

T
he Battle for Darkmoor began with a massive artillery fire from Shevaun’s army, stationed on a higher ground overlooking the Usarved’s main city from a distance. Facing her forces were the entrenched soldiers of the Lord Haya, led by his elf guards and pressed into service on the pain of death. As the demon chamberlain was the first to arrive in that area, they had the luxury of constructing elaborate trench networks that supported the frontline while being protected from the enemy counter-barrage.

The elves were renowned for their eyes and their skill to hit their targets with unearthly precision. However, in contrast to the city of Darkmoor—which was illuminated by candlelight posts—the northern borders of the region were pitch black, as it lay on the ‘night’ parts of Cherflammen. While the elves could use their instincts to look for their enemies, its distance was limited, and they had to rely on the Usarved soldiers—who had no problems looking into the dark—to determine where to fire.

And the Usarveds, just like any other demon individual, didn’t like elves lording over them. They deliberately positioned and aimed their cannons away from the attacking army of their own people, fooling their elf leaders for a time.

So, the devastating barrage from Shevaun’s forces continued. When the elves realized that they were being duped by the Usarved officers, they executed them on the spot, and ordered the ordinary soldiers to ‘fix bayonets’ and charge.

The result was a massacre. The Usarved army of the Lord Haya was still the ‘old’ one, used to marching across the battlefield lined like a wall of mortal flesh and in steady, slow paces, ready to bulldoze a similar force with their matchlock crack horns, swords and bayonets. Against the ‘new’ Usarved army led by Shevaun and trained according to the tactics devised by the Lord Greg, however, they were hopelessly outgunned, outmaneuvered and outgeneraled.

“Cease fire! Cease fire!” came the order across the lines of the demon chamberlain’s forces. They couldn’t take the slaughter against their hapless ‘enemy’ any longer; there was not even a fight! As the Usarved soldiers of the Lord Haya marched to reach Shevaun’s positions, they threw their crack horns to surrender en masse to their own people.

When the elves, hiding in the trenches, saw what was happening, they tried to spur the ‘cowardly’ Usarveds into fighting by shooting at them, which killed scores. As their fire was focused on the surrendering regiments, the sharpshooters from Shevaun’s army sniped on the long-ears, much to the latter’s shock, for they were confident of the safety in their distance.

As the Usarved soldiers on the Lord Haya’s side switched loyalties, the demon chamberlain noticed that the enemy defenses were already undermanned. An aide rushed to her and excitedly said, “Milady! Darkmoor is open for an assault! Would you order it?”

Looking at the nearly defenseless demon city, Shevaun smirked and said, “Order the general advance. We shall get the Lord Haya’s head before the long sleep!”

So if you went through the effort of reading through everything I have written down here, I would really like it for you to please offer suggestions and/or examples of any of these 3 points as well as any other suggestions you might have for me.

Thanks! >.<

I hope I can finally write a story I can complete without dropping due to my lack of writing experience as well as skill since afterall, Im just a reader who aspires to write about their own world and read through the comments while interacting with the readers.
Finally, writing is a process. The more you write, the more you develop your skills. Of course, unless you're talented, no one starts at the top immediately. We learn as we go through the life of an author. Don't be discouraged if you think you're not progressing much. If you feel tired of your story, take a break then return to it after some time. Slow and steady wins the race anyway.

Hope this reply helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilRora

Mostly formless
Okay, so one after another:
First, how do you write in 3rd person and first person?
I write only in first person, so I can't give much advice on third person. I write everything apart from dialogues normally, no italics or anything, because I write it sa if the character was narrating the events (which is different from just showing the events from their perspective).

As for it sounding rushed... well I had that too. I don't think anything can fix that apart from simple experience. You can try putting yourself in the character's position though. My advice when you're writing in first person is to write only about what is relevant to the character, not to the readers. If you breeze through the morning routine in two sentences, it will be completely alright, because that's how much attention the character pays to it.

Here I have very simple advice: use other actions instead of "said", and actually describe who is speaking instead of using their names. I'm not saying to do that all the time, but it will help immensely if you write "my girlfriend nodded her head" instead of "she said and nodded her head". I don't think I need to explain why it is so helpful.

You can be really creative here. You can use "the readhead grinned", "the unreconciled girl shook her head", you can use some humor and connect it to the dialogue, for example using a nickname someone is called with.

There is an option of describing who you are talking about, for example writing 'the black fairy' instead of she, he, the name of said fairy or whatever else. You can use many different descriptions for one being, adjusting them to the situation and the being's relation to different people. You can use 'her friend', 'the zooming fairy', 'dark-haired girl', you can also adjust it to the dialogues and use some humor, for example 'the eldritch abomination' if someone has recently referred to the being as such.

A very good thing about that approach is that it also reminds readers what they are dealing with. For example, if you write 'she' or use the name, readers might not remember the character you are talking about, but write 'the blonde bimbo' and everyone will connect it to the character from a hundred chapters back, so long as she left appropriate impression. That works especially well with humor, because two things people tend to remember the best are stupid things and things they shouldn't remember.

Finally the hardest part, writing action. I find writing action hard since you have to mix dialogue, "sound effects" as well as explaining the scene itself.
Okay, I've got one thing to point out. Action should not have dialogue, or at least very little of it. If you actually have to put it in, you've got to make the sentences short and urgent to show it's an action scene, not a leisurely conversation during a walk in the park.

When I write action scenes (in first perspective), I focus mostly on the actions. They are what the character focuses on and what matters the most. I add sounds and dialogues to it only when they are important, loud, or in any other way noticeable to the character whose POV I am doing.

If you wanna more advice related to dialogues and action, lookie here: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/dialogue.10597 There's my own reply to that thread somewhere as well.

The last general advice I'm going to give is patience. Have patience with yourself and your writing, because even the best writers started out as beginners. The first story I published was around my tenth one over half a year after I started writing, so that says something.

That's all from me. Hope that helps.

Edit: One more thing. Don't use onomatopeias. Just don't. Not gonna explain, just don't. If you really want to have a sound effect, write "a booming sound" instead of "boom!".

Ophelia

For me, I write my story in a combined 1st Person POV and 3rd Person POV (either limited or omnipotent, depending on the need of the scene). Sometimes, I'm so used to 1st Person POV that I unintentionally write in that POV when the scene is meant for 3rd Person POV, especially during the 1st Draft (vomit draft). In that case, I simply change the 'I' pronouns to the character names and 3rd person pronouns (he, she, they).

For example:

My draft (I accidentally wrote it in 1st Person POV). Please take note of the italics, which is my MC's thought.

"But do you have any clan in mind that you wanted killed, or annihilated, ghoul lord?" I returned the question to him. I'd say, this noble is easily controlled.

My actual manuscript (I decided to switch in 3rd Person POV).

"But do you have any clan in mind that you wanted killed, or annihilated, ghoul lord?" the Lord Greg returned the question to him. This noble is easily controlled, the human noble thought.

So here, I barely changed the narrative, but I switched from 1st Person POV to 3rd Person POV. As for the thoughts, yes, I also use italics to convey that it is the character's thoughts, though I usually include tags to indicate that it is this certain character's thoughts.

Before I delve into the dialogue or the banters of the characters, I usually establish first who are these characters and their names. For example:

"Tense silence suddenly enveloped the entire assembly, as the elders of the various demon clans waited upon their counterparts to speak. Then, after a few minutes, the human lord, Greg Santos, finally broke the ice.

"Do you believe that all demons are created equal?" he asked.

"What do you mean by that, Lord Greg?" an incubus elder replied with a question.

"Well, for example," the human lord took his pistol and placed it on the table before everyone. "If I asked you ho among the clans should I kill and annihilate in the name of the demon king-president, who will you choose and why?"

In my example, I used to identify my human character, Greg Santos, as the human lord. As such, instead of the usual 'he said'/'she said', I could use other ways to refer to him, like the 'human lord', and the action he was doing at the moment. That way, it won't be repetitive. This is more effective when you got several characters engaged in a conversation.

For two-character talks, I just use dialogue tags in the early parts of their conversation, then continue with the flow, until I need to indicate something important, like an action being done while speaking. For example,

"A constitution you say, milord?" a goblin elder asked. "Pray, do tell us more about this, Lord Greg."

"Well, to put it simply, Cherflammen will be under a federal republic," the Lord Greg paused a bit before continuing. "As such, it won't be ruled by a king or a monarch, and a constitution is needed. It just a set of laws created to guarantee your rights, privileges and freedoms, as long as you submit to the authority of your elected demon king-president."

"Hmm...isn't it that the Prince Hurion swore to uphold our rights and privileges when we agreed to submit to his authority before?"

"You did. And I thank you for that wise decision. However, a constitution would set your freedoms and its limitations on paper, where we can always read and consult it before making a decision. For short, think of it as something of a covenant between your clans and the demon king-president."

If you noticed, there's dialogues here where I didn't say who's speaking, yet you can infer that it is spoken by the goblin noble or the human lord. This is just a two-way conversation, so just by looking at the pattern of their talk, you'll know who's speaking...thus, the dialogue tags (he said/she said) isn't necessary.

If I'm writing actions, I rarely use 'onomatopeias' or 'sound effects'. Well, before, I'm using it; nowadays, I find it awkward. In any case, here's how I write action parts in my work:

1st Person POV action scene

**Greg**

The courtyard of Castle Darkmoor was taken without a shot fired. Lady Shevaun’s offensive from the north was a resounding success, as we observed from the skies, and she was now marching to capture the city itself. There was sporadic resistance, but I guess, this battle was already lost for the Lord Haya.

However, this war won’t be won without Princess Noir, and it’s our job to rescue her.

So, taking advantage of the panic, we swooped in the Usarved palace, finding the remaining elves setting up their defenses along the walls of Castle Darkmoor. As I was told before that they would have difficulty in looking at the dark, I had a wind blow their candles out. Once darkness enveloped them, the ‘Jägers’ moved in.

There was no contest, as the elves were stunned and were easily killed or captured and disarmed. However, this applied to those who were outside the palace itself. For those who were still inside, they still had few precious seconds to prepare for our assault.

“!!!”

The ‘Jägers’ began the attack by lobbing grenades through the door and windows of the palace. The explosions happened almost simultaneously, and we didn’t even wait for the smoke and dust to settle. The elf guards who were caught in the blast were instantly killed, while those who survived tried to fight back.

“Shit!” I immediately ducked as the bullets flew. Based from the weapons we captured at the courtyard, I was shocked to see that these elves were carrying modern guns—M4A1s, high-powered assault rifles from my world. We didn’t have time to interrogate our prisoners, but I’d like to know where they got those.

Meanwhile, my companions were also taking cover, as per our training. The elves’ weakness in the dark was compensated by their highly-developed instincts, so they could still shoot at us, though not as accurate as I assumed it to be. As for me, I couldn’t see well, too, so I just remained in my spot ’till one of our demons took advantage of it and shot back at our foes, felling them.

“Sir, they’re easy to shoot!” the soldier told me in jest. “They are just standing there firing their guns!”

“Well, I’m human and I can’t see properly in the dark, mind you!” I countered. “So, if you’re that confident in your skills, you better carry us, hotshot!

My companions laughed, which somehow made the tense situation a bit lighter. But soon, we returned to our serious faces as we searched the castle for our goals. The maid, Angelli, gave us a good information on where we should expect resistance, including where the guards were usually positioned. The method I taught the ‘Jägers’: ‘Throw a grenade’, wait for the boom, close in to kill’ worked smoothly, and soon the entire palace was littered with elf corpses.

We also had the chance to pick up our enemies’ weapons, which was significantly better than the ‘Bolt-Heater’ revolver we’re using. However, as we were not trained to use it, we just left those on the spot where it fell.

Besides, I don’t like the proliferation of these kinds of arms in the aftermath of this conflict, so I’m planning to have it all destroyed.

Our progress went unimpeded. Those who tried to resist were killed, while those who surrendered were disarmed, restrained and taken out to the courtyard. And then, finally, we stood outside the doors of the Lord Haya’s private chambers, with the elves standing guard surrendering their weapons. They also informed us that it was locked, with the Lord Haya, a demon lady, and three of their comrades inside.

Yes, that’s Princess Noir, alright.

“…”

Of course, we expected it to be locked—even barricaded—from the other side. The Lord Haya had time to prepare, after all. Now the problem was, if we threw a grenade, we might end up killing everyone inside, including Her Highness. But, if we tried to force the doors open, the risk of his guards shooting at us were high, and we might sustain fatalities, which—up to this point—was still a possibility.

“!!!”

As we slowed down to rethink of our strategy, however, three huge monsters broke out of the demon lord’s room and fought against us. We were all surprised, for we had no idea that there were those creatures inside the private chambers.

“How the fuck did these monsters get in?” the orc who was with us blurted out, as he desperately fought back with his pistol. He was quickly overwhelmed though and was thrown towards the wall, suffering injuries.

One of my companions then uttered a fire spell, and threw it on our enemies, setting them alight. To my horror, I recognized that the monsters we’re dealing with were minotaurs, and they went berserk even when they were burning.

As I was a general of the Goblin Legion, the members of the ‘Jägers’ immediately moved to protect me. However, I won’t allow it; though I’m their leader, I preferred leading on the front, rather than commanding from the rear. So, without delay, I grabbed one of the captured M4A1s, kneeled and aimed at the heads of the minotaurs. Our bullets won’t simply kill them, as shown by the orc earlier, but disabling these creatures could help.

“!!!”

A couple of shots, and the first minotaur was blinded. I followed it with more, and took out the sight of the other two monsters. When the ‘Jägers’ saw what I was doing, they opened fire as well. I think even a leviathan from Cherwind wouldn’t survive the hail of bullets that rained on the creatures. Soon, we got three smoldering minotaur corpses, and an open door to Princess Noir…

3rd Person POV action scene

T
he Battle for Darkmoor began with a massive artillery fire from Shevaun’s army, stationed on a higher ground overlooking the Usarved’s main city from a distance. Facing her forces were the entrenched soldiers of the Lord Haya, led by his elf guards and pressed into service on the pain of death. As the demon chamberlain was the first to arrive in that area, they had the luxury of constructing elaborate trench networks that supported the frontline while being protected from the enemy counter-barrage.

The elves were renowned for their eyes and their skill to hit their targets with unearthly precision. However, in contrast to the city of Darkmoor—which was illuminated by candlelight posts—the northern borders of the region were pitch black, as it lay on the ‘night’ parts of Cherflammen. While the elves could use their instincts to look for their enemies, its distance was limited, and they had to rely on the Usarved soldiers—who had no problems looking into the dark—to determine where to fire.

And the Usarveds, just like any other demon individual, didn’t like elves lording over them. They deliberately positioned and aimed their cannons away from the attacking army of their own people, fooling their elf leaders for a time.

So, the devastating barrage from Shevaun’s forces continued. When the elves realized that they were being duped by the Usarved officers, they executed them on the spot, and ordered the ordinary soldiers to ‘fix bayonets’ and charge.

The result was a massacre. The Usarved army of the Lord Haya was still the ‘old’ one, used to marching across the battlefield lined like a wall of mortal flesh and in steady, slow paces, ready to bulldoze a similar force with their matchlock crack horns, swords and bayonets. Against the ‘new’ Usarved army led by Shevaun and trained according to the tactics devised by the Lord Greg, however, they were hopelessly outgunned, outmaneuvered and outgeneraled.

“Cease fire! Cease fire!” came the order across the lines of the demon chamberlain’s forces. They couldn’t take the slaughter against their hapless ‘enemy’ any longer; there was not even a fight! As the Usarved soldiers of the Lord Haya marched to reach Shevaun’s positions, they threw their crack horns to surrender en masse to their own people.

When the elves, hiding in the trenches, saw what was happening, they tried to spur the ‘cowardly’ Usarveds into fighting by shooting at them, which killed scores. As their fire was focused on the surrendering regiments, the sharpshooters from Shevaun’s army sniped on the long-ears, much to the latter’s shock, for they were confident of the safety in their distance.

As the Usarved soldiers on the Lord Haya’s side switched loyalties, the demon chamberlain noticed that the enemy defenses were already undermanned. An aide rushed to her and excitedly said, “Milady! Darkmoor is open for an assault! Would you order it?”

Looking at the nearly defenseless demon city, Shevaun smirked and said, “Order the general advance. We shall get the Lord Haya’s head before the long sleep!”

Finally, writing is a process. The more you write, the more you develop your skills. Of course, unless you're talented, no one starts at the top immediately. We learn as we go through the life of an author. Don't be discouraged if you think you're not progressing much. If you feel tired of your story, take a break then return to it after some time. Slow and steady wins the race anyway.

Hope this reply helps.
Wow that’s a lot to process an it was really helpful, I have a general idea of improvements I should make to my writing now. Thanks! :D

D

Deleted member 54065

Wow that’s a lot to process an it was really helpful, I have a general idea of improvements I should make to my writing now. Thanks! :D
Glad to help! If you got questions, don't be shy to ask!

Ophelia

Something I’ve been thinking about is how many novels I’ve read have always done something similar to this:

As I take a step back, it has already finished lowering its head in an attacking stance.
It’s ready to attack. This is baaaad!

“Ha Ha. With [Immortality], I wonder where I’d revive if I were eaten whole…”

In what situations could you just completely avoid saying anything similar to "said ____"?

Also, I have trouble getting a feeling of how to include certain items and skills into a magic/item oriented story, it always sounds a bit rushed. I noticed in your example that you have just simply said a "fire spell". Would it be fine to do something similar except to replace it with something else as long as you have explained what that something else is beforehand or after?

Hope I'm not troubling you too much ToT

D

Deleted member 54065

Something I’ve been thinking about is how many novels I’ve read have always done something similar to this:

As I take a step back, it has already finished lowering its head in an attacking stance.
It’s ready to attack. This is baaaad!

“Ha Ha. With [Immortality], I wonder where I’d revive if I were eaten whole…”
Thing is, if you're aiming to write in a LN style, the best you can do is the OELN (Original English Light Novel) style. See, while we can use the JPN LN writing style, it won't fit the English audiences, for they are already used to English novel styles. Those (like your example) are just translations, so the writing style is really different...and if you decide to copy that, prepare for bad feedback.

Another thing I should add is that, while most Japanese wouldn't mind JPN LN style, there are some who'd criticize your work if you copy too much of their writing. Yep, you'll be seen as a pretentious gaijin, so I really recommend you go for the OELN route.

In what situations could you just completely avoid saying anything similar to "said ____"?
In two-person conversations. Your reader would have it easy tracking the one who said a particular dialogue. Or, if you will use it on a three-person (or more) conversation, you can remove the dialogue tags but be sure to create a certain speech pattern for each of your characters, so that your readers would know who's speaking who...

Consider this example:

**Maddie**

“Kamusta na, Sir? Okay ka na?” (How are you, Sir? Are you fine now?)

“Yeah, kahit papano. Kinabahan lang talaga ako kase iba yung itsura nung mga tao dito.” (Yeah, at least. I just got nervous because the people around me looked weird.)

“Nasa ibang mundo ka kasi, Sir…pero ayos naman sila; mahal ka nilang lahat.” (Well, you’re in another world, Sir…but they’re good people; and they all love you.)

For now, Kuro was calm. He was sitting on his bed, with Lady Jessica and Lady Minahaba beside him. I could only watch from afar, as he talked to Lady Usarved. Honestly, I don’t know what they were talking about; they were conversing in Kuro’s real tongue…so all I could do was listen.

“Paano ako napunta dito?” (How did I come here?)

Lady Usarved then turned to me, “Uh, Your Holiness, Sir Kuro is asking how did he come to this world?”

I looked at Kuro and sat beside him, “Can you tell him that I…I summoned him?”

I could see through the demon lady’s thoughts; she was surprised at what I just told her. Nevertheless, she translated my words to Kuro, “Ang sabi ng Kanyang Kabanalan ay tinawag ka po nya dito mula sa mundo nyo.” (Her Holiness is saying that she summoned you here.)

“Tinawag?” (Summoned?) Kuro’s eyes suddenly lit up, “Gaya sa mga isekai na kwento?” (Just like in isekai stories?)

“Your Holiness? He’s asking if you summoned him like in those, err…isekai stories, whatever that is.”

“Tell him, ‘yes’.” At the very least, I know what Kuro meant by ‘isekai’. I saw it in his memories; it was one of the story genres he liked so much.

“Sabi ng Kanyang Kabanalan, tama daw po yung naisip nyo.” (Her Holiness says that your guess is correct.)

“Uh, ‘Kanyang Kabanalan’?” (Uh, ‘Her Holiness’?) Kuro tried to stare at me, but when our eyes met, his face grew red and quickly averted his gaze. “Sino sya?” (Who is she?)

“What’s he asking you, Lady Usarved?”

“He’s asking about you, Her Holiness…”

“Tell him that I’m Madelaine Ann Rubinforth, his fiancée,” I wanted to plead before him, just to make him remember.

In this example, you can see that there are three people in the narrative. Lady (Noir) Usarved, Kuro (Greg), and Maddie. If you read their conversation, Lady Usarved and Kuro are both talking in Filipino (with English translation), while Maddie is the one narrating, as well as joining in for a few dialogues. Look at how the characters talk. You can identify your characters to your readers simply by how they speak.

In my example above, Lady Noir Usarved is Kuro's student, so it's natural for her to call him 'Sir' or 'Sir Kuro/Greg'. Maddie is the Human Saint, so she is being referred to as 'Her Holiness'. Also, if you read my story, Kuro and Lady Usarved know how to speak in Filipino, so a reader can immediately identify who's speaking between Kuro and Lady Usarved.

Also, I have trouble getting a feeling of how to include certain items and skills into a magic/item oriented story, it always sounds a bit rushed. I noticed in your example that you have just simply said a "fire spell". Would it be fine to do something similar except to replace it with something else as long as you have explained what that something else is beforehand or after?
Well, as long as it doesn't have a huge role in the story, you can always write that in passing. And yes, explain it beforehand, though it is recommended that you show it via characters' dialogues instead of info-dumping it. Don't delve too much into details, or you might bore your readers.

Hope I'm not troubling you too much ToT
I'm a teacher anyway. I love helping people. ^_^

Let me add this another example, where two characters are talking:

Uh…Your H-Holiness?” a paladin walking beside me asked.

“Yes, Lady Stark?”

“With all due respect, do we really have to follow the Lord Kuro, even inside the lavatory?”

“Of course not! Wait outside; I’ll be the only one to go in.”

Uhm, Your Holiness, isn’t that even worse? Look, the Lord Kuro is staring at us!”

“I’m just making sure he’s safe.”

“I don’t think he wants to be followed inside the lavatory.”

“What he wants is different from what he needs!” I countered. “In any case, please stay here; I’ll be the one to follow him.”

I tried pushing the door of the lavatory, but it’s already locked.

“Y-Your Holiness,” the paladin pleaded. “Maybe we should just wait here?”

“Nonsense! Kuro is mine, and I’ll protect him!” I uttered a teleport spell, and soon I was on the other side of the door.

I never thought Kuro could scream that loud whenever he’s surprised. But it’s for his safety, anyway.

Here, only two characters are talking, Lady Stark and Her Holiness, the Saint, Maddie. Most of their conversation had no dialogue tag to indicate who's speaking the certain dialogue, but you can still identify who's talking simply via the arrangement of who's speaking first, then second. Another is via the speech style. Of course, the one who is more polite is the Lady Stark, who's a paladin guarding the Saint, Maddie. She refers to her mistress as 'Her Holiness'.

CRimson5

Thanks! >.<

Your second problem is something that haunted me for sometime, the trick I use that I try to use other word to compensate for eg

He replied
He murmured
He answered
He questioned
He asked

There are many words out there you can use, and make sure it suitable with the sentence

another way is write an actions of
a character before writing a sentence, this way it indicates the one is talking is the character who just did the action for eg

Andrew and camilla walked through the ruins searching for last sword light

"Do you think the portal would be still here"

Running his hands through the wall and feeling the words that etched onto it, he nodded in affirmation "Yes I think so"

Here I didn't write who said that but the build up made sure to suggest that it was said by Andrew

I don't how helpful this is, I still a rookie but It somewhat helpful I hope

Last edited:

Ophelia

Thing is, if you're aiming to write in a LN style, the best you can do is the OELN (Original English Light Novel) style. See, while we can use the JPN LN writing style, it won't fit the English audiences, for they are already used to English novel styles. Those are just translations, so the writing style is really different...and if you decide to copy that, prepare for bad feedback.

In two-person conversations. Your reader would have it easy tracking the one who said a particular dialogue. Or, if you will use it on a three-person (or more) conversation, you can remove the dialogue tags but be sure to create a certain speech pattern for each of your characters, so that your readers would know who's speaking who...

Consider this example:

**Maddie**

“Kamusta na, Sir? Okay ka na?” (How are you, Sir? Are you fine now?)

“Yeah, kahit papano. Kinabahan lang talaga ako kase iba yung itsura nung mga tao dito.” (Yeah, at least. I just got nervous because the people around me looked weird.)

“Nasa ibang mundo ka kasi, Sir…pero ayos naman sila; mahal ka nilang lahat.” (Well, you’re in another world, Sir…but they’re good people; and they all love you.)

For now, Kuro was calm. He was sitting on his bed, with Lady Jessica and Lady Minahaba beside him. I could only watch from afar, as he talked to Lady Usarved. Honestly, I don’t know what they were talking about; they were conversing in Kuro’s real tongue…so all I could do was listen.

“Paano ako napunta dito?” (How did I come here?)

Lady Usarved then turned to me, “Uh, Your Holiness, Sir Kuro is asking how did he come to this world?”

I looked at Kuro and sat beside him, “Can you tell him that I…I summoned him?”

I could see through the demon lady’s thoughts; she was surprised at what I just told her. Nevertheless, she translated my words to Kuro, “Ang sabi ng Kanyang Kabanalan ay tinawag ka po nya dito mula sa mundo nyo.” (Her Holiness is saying that she summoned you here.)

“Tinawag?” (Summoned?) Kuro’s eyes suddenly lit up, “Gaya sa mga isekai na kwento?” (Just like in isekai stories?)

“Your Holiness? He’s asking if you summoned him like in those, err…isekai stories, whatever that is.”

“Tell him, ‘yes’.” At the very least, I know what Kuro meant by ‘isekai’. I saw it in his memories; it was one of the story genres he liked so much.

“Sabi ng Kanyang Kabanalan, tama daw po yung naisip nyo.” (Her Holiness says that your guess is correct.)

“Uh, ‘Kanyang Kabanalan’?” (Uh, ‘Her Holiness’?) Kuro tried to stare at me, but when our eyes met, his face grew red and quickly averted his gaze. “Sino sya?” (Who is she?)

“What’s he asking you, Lady Usarved?”

“He’s asking about you, Her Holiness…”

“Tell him that I’m Madelaine Ann Rubinforth, his fiancée,” I wanted to plead before him, just to make him remember.

In this example, you can see that there are three people in the narrative. Lady (Noir) Usarved, Kuro (Greg), and Maddie. If you read their conversation, Lady Usarved and Kuro are both talking in Filipino (with English translation), while Maddie is the one narrating, as well as joining in for a few dialogues. Look at how the characters talk. You can identify your characters to your readers simply by how they speak.

In my example above, Lady Noir Usarved is Kuro's student, so it's natural for her to call him 'Sir' or 'Sir Kuro/Greg'. Maddie is the Human Saint, so she is being referred to as 'Her Holiness'. Also, if you read my story, Kuro and Lady Usarved know how to speak in Filipino, so a reader can immediately identify who's speaking between Kuro and Lady Usarved.

Well, as long as it doesn't have a huge role in the story, you can always write that in passing. And yes, explain it beforehand, though it is recommended that you show it via characters' dialogues instead of info-dumping it. Don't delve too much into details, or you might bore your readers.

I'm a teacher anyway. I love helping people. ^_^

Let me add this another example, where two characters are talking:

Uh…Your H-Holiness?” a paladin walking beside me asked.

“Yes, Lady Stark?”

“With all due respect, do we really have to follow the Lord Kuro, even inside the lavatory?”

“Of course not! Wait outside; I’ll be the only one to go in.”

Uhm, Your Holiness, isn’t that even worse? Look, the Lord Kuro is staring at us!”

“I’m just making sure he’s safe.”

“I don’t think he wants to be followed inside the lavatory.”

“What he wants is different from what he needs!” I countered. “In any case, please stay here; I’ll be the one to follow him.”

I tried pushing the door of the lavatory, but it’s already locked.

“Y-Your Holiness,” the paladin pleaded. “Maybe we should just wait here?”

“Nonsense! Kuro is mine, and I’ll protect him!” I uttered a teleport spell, and soon I was on the other side of the door.

I never thought Kuro could scream that loud whenever he’s surprised. But it’s for his safety, anyway.

Here, only two characters are talking, Lady Stark and Her Holiness, the Saint, Maddie. Most of their conversation had no dialogue tag to indicate who's speaking the certain dialogue, but you can still identify who's talking simply via the arrangement of who's speaking first, then second. Another is via the speech style. Of course, the one who is more polite is the Lady Stark, who's a paladin guarding the Saint, Maddie. She refers to her mistress as 'Her Holiness'.
Something that’s been bothering me while I’ve been thinking about an entire world as well as the protagonist is, how would you advance the story during the gaps between the action and dialogue? You can’t simply just say something like the main protagonist went home and ate food then etc... I think most stories I’ve read have somehow done something to make the story flow so well to the point that I’m just really excited to see the character do something, which is why later on it leads to some action. >.<
I feel that this is probably where most of the magic of a story happens, you can build a character or many new characters here and you can even worldbuild here, I just don’t really get how to do it and generally it feels rushed.

You’re that writing teacher I never knew I had ToT

D

Deleted member 54065

Something that’s been bothering me while I’ve been thinking about an entire world as well as the protagonist is, how would you advance the story during the gaps between the action and dialogue? You can’t simply just say something like the main protagonist went home and ate food then etc... I think most stories I’ve read have somehow done something to make the story flow so well to the point that I’m just really excited to see the character do something, which is why later on it leads to some action. >.<
I feel that this is probably where most of the magic of a story happens, you can build a character or many new characters here and you can even worldbuild here, I just don’t really get how to do it and generally it feels rushed.
Are we talking about scene transitions here?

Well, in my experience, I always do my transitions by:

1) Switching POVs (Like from one character to another, or from 1st Person to 3rd Person. (You're doing an OELN, which is similar to JPN LN, so it's okay)

“If you’re doubting us, milady,” Angelli’s headstrong attitude was showing, “then look at the Lord Greg! He’s human, and he’s your teacher. Isn’t it the norm that the students are the ones who should serve their mentors? But no! He didn’t care that he’s a human (thus he shouldn’t be involved with you), and risked his life to save you from that asshole Haya…err, I mean…ahem…th-the Lord Haya!”

“Don’t worry, Angelli,” Shevaun was all prim and proper. “That demon deserves all the insults we can hurl, even though he’s the brother of our mistress. Please continue.”

Noir could only laugh at their conversation. While the suffering she went through would probably remain in her heart forever, at least, her nightmare was over…

----------

**Greg**

I heard that the Princess Noir finally gained consciousness, and her sanity was back. I’d say, the god-powers of the Human Saint was more potent than I expected. Well, I guess, considering that it was a power from the gods, it could cure or heal any conditions or injury.

I just don’t know if the traumatic memories are included in that…

In any case, as long as there were no problems with the Usarved princess, then it’s all good. The allied clan elders from the goblin, orc, and Tambara clans sent representatives to her, to check on her well-being, as well as to show their submission to the undisputed demon lord of Cherflammen. I had no idea of the Biorno clan’s answer to our proposal before, but the Lord Gracchio told me that the Lord Sargdhenerri was considering our offer.

Well, it’s still a positive sign that we can end this conflict peacefully.

2) Switching Scenes (A completely unrelated scene is recommended, if you intend to show the 'break' to the readers. However, if you're just aiming to make a 'pause' in the long scene/narrative, you may cut your scene into two, depending on its theme.)

“I understand, Lady Grattiani,” the Human Saint smiled at her. “I’ve been communicating through you for a while now, and you’ve also been a good friend to us humans. As such, if anything is needed by your master: supplies, finances, or even an army, the United Kingdoms of Chersea can help.”

“Your Holiness…that’s too kind of you. Yes, I will update you on the events in Cherflammen, but I must appeal to your generous heart to await for our master’s words.”

With that, Maddie ended the conversation. As she couldn’t glean any useful information from the demon ambassador on the condition of her beloved, she had to back down for now, lest she risk an incident with the demons. The Lady Grattiani was a good friend, after all, and it’s not like she couldn’t understand her intentions for vainly keeping the truth from her. For the meantime, she and her entourage stayed and were entertained by the demon lady’s household.

----------

The Human Saint set off for the Holy Palatial Gardens about an hour before the long sleep. As the Lady Grattiani had been used to her everyday visits, the demon ambassador prepared to receive her well. After all, it was her only connection to Kuro after he disappeared once again in Cherflammen.

“Haa…”

“That’s quite a sigh, Maddie,” it was Lily. “Are you alright?”

“I miss my Kuro…” she answered. “It’s been a while since the Lady Grattiani had a news from him.”

“True, Your Holiness…” Eris spoke. “And it’s wonderful that he’s doing what he does best in Cherflammen: teaching those demon students.”

Hmm…I’m still worried. You know how much those demons hated us since time immemorial.”

3) Making an obvious separation between my paragraphs.

“So that’s why you’re proposing the vote!” he bellowed. “If there’s voting, then you’re sure to win! You have the students’ support after all!”

Shit! I said the wrong words!

“The students were crying out for reforms, Castrio!” the Lord Tenguri defended me. “You know how the Biornos ran the education system! They made a mess out of Lady Cassandra’s noble goal!”

“Enough of this, don’t waste my time anymore,” the Lord Sargdhenerri then pointed his finger towards the Conclave. “Be thankful that I’m honorable, or by now, your friend would be headless. I implore you, my disrespectful guests, to remove your presence from my sight. This is the end of our negotiations.”

At that point, the Lord Tenguri wanted to say something but stopped short from actually blurting it out. Then he stood up and pulled me, “Stay safe then, Castrio. Next time we meet, our swords will be pointed at each other.”

----------

With the breakdown of negotiations with the Lord Sargdhenerri and the Biorno clan, the need for a modern weaponry for our forces was made even more clear. The Lord Tenguri was worried that—because the teachers of Emile Biorno wielded the M1911s before—his vassals must’ve possessed more copies of the said pistol. I couldn’t agree more, and whenever I see the forces of the Biorno clan and their vassals outside the Conclave’s walls, the fear in my heart was magnified.

If I think about it, the incubi and succubi clans of Cherflammen are considered weak. And for them to press forward with conflict tells something…

“…”

They are confident.

And there’s no reason I had in mind other than the possession of the modern pistol in their armies. Heck, Emile Biorno’s goons possessed it; what difference was there between his lackeys and his vassals? As such, once we returned from the Biorno territory, I got myself working on a design for a gun.

This is a pretty complicated part of story-writing, so it's best that you read during your writing breaks, so you can have an idea of transitions.

Take Note:

Example 1 switched from a 3rd Person POV (Lady Noir Usarved) to a 1st Person POV (Lord Greg Santos).

Example 2 switched from the Demon Ambassador's Villa to the private carriage of the Human Saint, as she was going home.

Example 3 is actually a long scene in my draft, but I decided to chop it into two for better transition.

Another tip I can give you is, once you got your draft done, take a break away from it for a short while. Then re-read. Usually, you can determine if it's rushed or not.

Also, put in details that will help you in your story in the future. In this part, doing an story outline/plan is a good call. But keep in mind not to info-dump, or it'll bore your readers. I always write with the principle of 'Chekhov's Gun' in mind; if I don't need it in the future, I won't delve too much into it.

Ophelia

Are we talking about scene transitions here?

Well, in my experience, I always do my transitions by:

1) Switching POVs (Like from one character to another, or from 1st Person to 3rd Person. (You're doing an OELN, which is similar to JPN LN, so it's okay)

“If you’re doubting us, milady,” Angelli’s headstrong attitude was showing, “then look at the Lord Greg! He’s human, and he’s your teacher. Isn’t it the norm that the students are the ones who should serve their mentors? But no! He didn’t care that he’s a human (thus he shouldn’t be involved with you), and risked his life to save you from that asshole Haya…err, I mean…ahem…th-the Lord Haya!”

“Don’t worry, Angelli,” Shevaun was all prim and proper. “That demon deserves all the insults we can hurl, even though he’s the brother of our mistress. Please continue.”

Noir could only laugh at their conversation. While the suffering she went through would probably remain in her heart forever, at least, her nightmare was over…

----------

**Greg**

I heard that the Princess Noir finally gained consciousness, and her sanity was back. I’d say, the god-powers of the Human Saint was more potent than I expected. Well, I guess, considering that it was a power from the gods, it could cure or heal any conditions or injury.

I just don’t know if the traumatic memories are included in that…

In any case, as long as there were no problems with the Usarved princess, then it’s all good. The allied clan elders from the goblin, orc, and Tambara clans sent representatives to her, to check on her well-being, as well as to show their submission to the undisputed demon lord of Cherflammen. I had no idea of the Biorno clan’s answer to our proposal before, but the Lord Gracchio told me that the Lord Sargdhenerri was considering our offer.

Well, it’s still a positive sign that we can end this conflict peacefully.

2) Switching Scenes (A completely unrelated scene is recommended, if you intend to show the 'break' to the readers. However, if you're just aiming to make a 'pause' in the long scene/narrative, you may cut your scene into two, depending on its theme.)

“I understand, Lady Grattiani,” the Human Saint smiled at her. “I’ve been communicating through you for a while now, and you’ve also been a good friend to us humans. As such, if anything is needed by your master: supplies, finances, or even an army, the United Kingdoms of Chersea can help.”

“Your Holiness…that’s too kind of you. Yes, I will update you on the events in Cherflammen, but I must appeal to your generous heart to await for our master’s words.”

With that, Maddie ended the conversation. As she couldn’t glean any useful information from the demon ambassador on the condition of her beloved, she had to back down for now, lest she risk an incident with the demons. The Lady Grattiani was a good friend, after all, and it’s not like she couldn’t understand her intentions for vainly keeping the truth from her. For the meantime, she and her entourage stayed and were entertained by the demon lady’s household.

----------

The Human Saint set off for the Holy Palatial Gardens about an hour before the long sleep. As the Lady Grattiani had been used to her everyday visits, the demon ambassador prepared to receive her well. After all, it was her only connection to Kuro after he disappeared once again in Cherflammen.

“Haa…”

“That’s quite a sigh, Maddie,” it was Lily. “Are you alright?”

“I miss my Kuro…” she answered. “It’s been a while since the Lady Grattiani had a news from him.”

“True, Your Holiness…” Eris spoke. “And it’s wonderful that he’s doing what he does best in Cherflammen: teaching those demon students.”

Hmm…I’m still worried. You know how much those demons hated us since time immemorial.”

3) Making an obvious separation between my paragraphs.

“So that’s why you’re proposing the vote!” he bellowed. “If there’s voting, then you’re sure to win! You have the students’ support after all!”

Shit! I said the wrong words!

“The students were crying out for reforms, Castrio!” the Lord Tenguri defended me. “You know how the Biornos ran the education system! They made a mess out of Lady Cassandra’s noble goal!”

“Enough of this, don’t waste my time anymore,” the Lord Sargdhenerri then pointed his finger towards the Conclave. “Be thankful that I’m honorable, or by now, your friend would be headless. I implore you, my disrespectful guests, to remove your presence from my sight. This is the end of our negotiations.”

At that point, the Lord Tenguri wanted to say something but stopped short from actually blurting it out. Then he stood up and pulled me, “Stay safe then, Castrio. Next time we meet, our swords will be pointed at each other.”

----------

With the breakdown of negotiations with the Lord Sargdhenerri and the Biorno clan, the need for a modern weaponry for our forces was made even more clear. The Lord Tenguri was worried that—because the teachers of Emile Biorno wielded the M1911s before—his vassals must’ve possessed more copies of the said pistol. I couldn’t agree more, and whenever I see the forces of the Biorno clan and their vassals outside the Conclave’s walls, the fear in my heart was magnified.

If I think about it, the incubi and succubi clans of Cherflammen are considered weak. And for them to press forward with conflict tells something…

“…”

They are confident.

And there’s no reason I had in mind other than the possession of the modern pistol in their armies. Heck, Emile Biorno’s goons possessed it; what difference was there between his lackeys and his vassals? As such, once we returned from the Biorno territory, I got myself working on a design for a gun.

This is a pretty complicated part of story-writing, so it's best that you read during your writing breaks, so you can have an idea of transitions.

Take Note:

Example 1 switched from a 3rd Person POV (Lady Noir Usarved) to a 1st Person POV (Lord Greg Santos).

Example 2 switched from the Demon Ambassador's Villa to the private carriage of the Human Saint, as she was going home.

Example 3 is actually a long scene in my draft, but I decided to chop it into two for better transition.
Oh! Using italics for ahem and err! Didn’t think of that. Also the switching of POV doesn’t really feel like my kind of “style” just doesn’t feel right when I think of writing something like that. Could you do something like using a different scene to skip some unimportant training or events? I.e, the protagonist sleeping, brushing teeth, practicing, etc.

Also, any advice on the beginning of a story? After all, first impressions are important :)
I find the world building in the beginning a bit challenging as well.

D

Deleted member 54065

Oh! Using italics for ahem and err! Didn’t think of that. Also the switching of POV doesn’t really feel like my kind of “style” just doesn’t feel right when I think of writing something like that. Could you do something like using a different scene to skip some unimportant training or events? I.e, the protagonist sleeping, brushing teeth, practicing, etc.
Yep. I just didn't show it on my examples, but I do it a lot...a different scene to show the passage of time (and skip the character's mundane activities), if you read my volumes.

Also, any advice on the beginning of a story? After all, first impressions are important :)
Ah, about that part, this is where I'm not confident in my style. See, as I mostly write in 1st Person POV, I always begin my story with a random small talk, which I would connect to the story. As for its effectiveness in gaining readers, well...all I can say is that I attract serious readers in my work, and not the impatient ones.

You can check my books in this site, just to see how I start my works. I suggest you check out the prologue of my very first volume.

Ophelia

Yep. I just didn't show it on my examples, but I do it a lot...a different scene to show the passage of time (and skip the character's mundane activities), if you read my volumes.

Ah, about that part, this is where I'm not confident in my style. See, as I mostly write in 1st Person POV, I always begin my story with a random small talk, which I would connect to the story. As for its effectiveness in gaining readers, well...all I can say is that I attract serious readers in my work, and not the impatient ones.

You can check my books in this site, just to see how I start my works. I suggest you check out the prologue of my very first volume.

Mmmmmmm... after reading a small portion of it, I feel like I have a rough idea of how people usually start their stories off, I’ll have to go back and look at some of the ones I’ve read in the past though.

Another question I have is about character introductions. Since I would be writing a story/world, I wouldn’t really be able to actually draw out the appearance of someone like my protagonist, do you have any advice and/or examples or thoughts on this?

Afterall, over explaining a characters appearance might be a bit too much....

I also noticed that in your story, you didn’t really go in depth explaining what a character looked like, just a few details.

Thanks! >.<

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

Mmmmmmm... after reading a small portion of it, I feel like I have a rough idea of how people usually start their stories off, I’ll have to go back and look at some of the ones I’ve read in the past though.

Another question I have is about character introductions. Since I would be writing a story/world, I wouldn’t really be able to actually draw out the appearance of someone like my protagonist, do you have any advice and/or examples or thoughts on this?
As for characters, the first step will be on the character profile/draft. You need to at least have an idea of what your character look like. Create a description for him/her on the profile.

What are the things you need to 'iron out'?

1). General information like name, age, race, etc.

2). Physical appearance, such as hair color, skin color, height, body build, etc.

3). Attitude and behavior. You can also illustrate this by describing how your character reacts to a certain situation.

4). Other trivia and tidbits, if you have them.

Now, once you got your characters description done, introducing them to the story can be easy.

My technique is usually top-to-bottom. Like, I'll describe the surroundings first (quickly and in-passing, if I still didn't write it before) and then to the character (think of it like a camera slowly panning towards the character. It also adds to the style of the work). What does he/she look like (base it from your profile), and what is he/she doing at the moment, in relation to his/her surroundings (this is to give the reader an introduction to his/her character, if you can insert it). Don't be too detailed; let your readers form their own idea based on your descriptions.

Like for example:

When I opened my eyes, there was a face before me.

Hmm…what?” I muttered, since I’m still half-asleep.

“What?” the person curtly replied.

“Huh?” When my mind cleared, I realized that a beautiful girl was looking down at me. Surprised, I quickly got up, but…

“OW!” we both blurted out. Looks like I hit her chin against my forehead when I sprang up. However, it didn’t matter now. I had to ask the important questions first…which was…

“Hey, who the hell are you?” See, I’m a private person; I never liked it when someone suddenly showed up in my room uninvited. But well, now that I have a clear look of the girl before me, I immediately noticed her long silver hair. And her silvery eyebrows. And her silvery-blue eyes.

Yep, a real beauty. Something around the level of the goddesses.

“Weeelllll…”
She stared at me, confused. “My name is Madelaine Ann Rubinforth. I know my name’s pretty long, so they just call me Maddie. And you are?”

See? I only described Maddie here as having 'silvery-blue' long hair and eyes, with her overall impression to Kuro is like a 'goddess'. I didn't put there the complexion of her skin, shape of her breasts (common in some smut stories) nor the dress she's wearing, and even the shape of her lips.

I let that for the reader to decide. Heck, I didn't even write Kuro's appearance!

Ophelia

As for characters, the first step will be on the character profile/draft. You need to at least have an idea of what your character look like. Create a description for him/her on the profile.

What are the things you need to 'iron out'?

1). General information like name, age, race, etc.

2). Physical appearance, such as hair color, skin color, height, body build, etc.

3). Attitude and behavior. You can also illustrate this by describing how your character reacts to a certain situation.

4). Other trivia and tidbits, if you have them.

Now, once you got your characters description done, introducing them to the story can be easy.

My technique is usually top-to-bottom. Like, I'll describe the surroundings first (quickly and in-passing, if I still didn't write it before) and then to the character (think of it like a camera slowly panning towards the character. It also adds to the style of the work). What does he/she look like (base it from your profile), and what is he/she doing at the moment, in relation to his/her surroundings (this is to give the reader an introduction to his/her character, if you can insert it). Don't be too detailed; let your readers form their own idea based on your descriptions.

Like for example:

When I opened my eyes, there was a face before me.

Hmm…what?” I muttered, since I’m still half-asleep.

“What?” the person curtly replied.

“Huh?” When my mind cleared, I realized that a beautiful girl was looking down at me. Surprised, I quickly got up, but…

“OW!” we both blurted out. Looks like I hit her chin against my forehead when I sprang up. However, it didn’t matter now. I had to ask the important questions first…which was…

“Hey, who the hell are you?” See, I’m a private person; I never liked it when someone suddenly showed up in my room uninvited. But well, now that I have a clear look of the girl before me, I immediately noticed her long silver hair. And her silvery eyebrows. And her silvery-blue eyes.

Yep, a real beauty. Something around the level of the goddesses.

“Weeelllll…”
She stared at me, confused. “My name is Madelaine Ann Rubinforth. I know my name’s pretty long, so they just call me Maddie. And you are?”

See? I only described Maddie here as having 'silvery-blue' long hair and eyes, with her overall impression to Kuro is like a 'goddess'. I didn't put there the complexion of her skin, nor the dress she's wearing, and even the shape of her lips.

I let that for the reader to decide. Heck, I didn't even write Kuro's appearance!
I’d love to continue asking questions but my mind starting to fall asleep... ToT
I’ll try my best to make my writing hobby happen :)

D

Deleted member 54065

I’d love to continue asking questions but my mind starting to fall asleep... ToT
I’ll try my best to make my writing hobby happen :)
Good luck! And good evening as well!

Final words, I just want to add that while this is a hobby, writing can be stressful. If you want to finish something you started here, you have to change the way you look at your hobby.

I mean, it will help you finish a story if you seriously focus on it, more than just being a hobby. I'm speaking from experience, that's why I got 15 books behind me, and 3 stories being simultaneously written. 😉

In any case, that's all. Have fun!

LilRora

Mostly formless
The general advice is that readers should be hooked on the first chapter so they will continue reading, though you don't really need to care about that. Generally you definitely want to avoid exposition in the first chapter, because the readers don't want details about a world they didn't even see.

I for some reason always begin my stories with the mc waking up in the morning. Not sure why, but it works, and I like it. Then I show the world and the mc in some small talk and daily interactions. For example, a while ago I used waking up in the morning and the morning routine to briefly describe the mc (including the appearance in the shower), added a small talk with the girlfriend that gives readers an idea about their interactions and their past, then followed it with buying a newspaper on the way to the market (a bustling street, which describes a bit of the city). The newpaper provided some information about the world the characters are in, and the conversation about it provided some more interaction between the mc and the girlfriend.

Depending on how long it all takes the proper action begins either at the end of the first chapter or in the second one... as long as there is action. In another one of my stories the action began in the fourth chapter (after around 10k words).

Do remember though that's only one example, and there are so many ways to begin a story it's hard to count them all. From the top of my head, you can begin with the mc's recollection of events that led to their current predicament, or yet something else.

My advice as an amateur is to make sure the beginning of your story (not necessarily the first chapter) has three things:
1) Something to show your mc's character (preferably also appearance)
2) Something to show the world they are in
3) Some event that keeps the story going so the readers won't say "nothing happening here, not gonna read further cause it's boring"

There really isn't much else to say here, because depending on a hell lot of things basically any beginning will work. Just avoid exposition and you're probably good.

Ophelia

If I were to write a story with lots of magic/skills or something like that, do you have any examples of some kind of combat/fight scene I could take a look at?

D

Deleted member 54065

If I were to write a story with lots of magic/skills or something like that, do you have any examples of some kind of combat/fight scene I could take a look at?
Hmm...that's something I can't provide for you, since I don't write litRPG. However, I have a chapter close to your request...

Around the middle, where they are fighting mercenaries. I just can't cut the portion because I'm on my way to my class.