Writing Need help with writing skill/experience for stories

Ophelia

Hmm...that's something I can't provide for you, since I don't write litRPG. However, I have a chapter close to your request...

Around the middle, where they are fighting mercenaries. I just can't cut the portion because I'm on my way to my class.
Mmmm... I think I have a pretty good idea of how to write something like that now, but something I just now thought of which kind of relates to the transitions is : How would you move the protagonist/group in a third person story and how would you move them in a first person story? Afterall, you can't just cut to a different scene everytime and sometimes, the travel might be significant to development in the story.

Thanks! >.<

D

Deleted member 54065

Mmmm... I think I have a pretty good idea of how to write something like that now, but something I just now thought of which kind of relates to the transitions is : How would you move the protagonist/group in a third person story and how would you move them in a first person story? Afterall, you can't just cut to a different scene everytime and sometimes, the travel might be significant to development in the story.

Thanks! >.<
Are you thinking of transitioning from a 3rd Person POV then to 1st Person POV in one continous scene? Don't do it.

If you combined both POVs in one continuous scene, you'll confuse your readers.

No other choice but to create a separate 'scene', with the same event and setting. See, 3rd Person POV is great for narrating what's going on, while 1st Person POV is better used in showing a character's motivation for doing an action. So if you intend to narrate what's happening around a large area, better use a 3rd Person POV. If you intend to show a character's motive in connection to an event, it is suggested to use a 1st Person POV.

And yes, it's only a suggestion, for you can narrate events in 1st Person POV and show motives via 3rd Person POV as well. But it will take a bit of your time to master the technique.

Now you may wonder, can we write a scene in 3rd Person POV and 1st Person POV in the same chapter of a story? The answer is yes, as long as those parts--especially the 1st Person POV--is important to the overall narrative of your work. Again, though, don't write it in a single, continuous scene. Make sure you separate each POVs, and create enough signs and/or symbols for your reader to know that you're changing POVs.

Ophelia

Are you thinking of transitioning from a 3rd Person POV then to 1st Person POV in one continous scene? Don't do it.

If you combined both POVs in one continuous scene, you'll confuse your readers.

No other choice but to create a separate 'scene', with the same event and setting. See, 3rd Person POV is great for narrating what's going on, while 1st Person POV is better used in showing a character's motivation for doing an action. So if you intend to narrate what's happening around a large area, better use a 3rd Person POV. If you intend to show a character's motive in connection to an event, it is suggested to use a 1st Person POV.

And yes, it's only a suggestion, for you can narrate events in 1st Person POV and show motives via 3rd Person POV as well. But it will take a bit of your time to master the technique.

Now you may wonder, can we write a scene in 3rd Person POV and 1st Person POV in the same chapter of a story? The answer is yes, as long as those parts--especially the 1st Person POV--is important to the overall narrative of your work. Again, though, don't write it in a single, continuous scene. Make sure you separate each POVs, and create enough signs and/or symbols for your reader to know that you're changing POVs.
That helps with what POV my writing style would fit and how I could possibly use them both. Honestly, I wasn't really asking about the transition from First or Third person to the other even though that was advice that I didn't know I actually needed until I read it. My original question, to clarify, was : How you would have your protagonist and/or their group travel to different places(Cities, Countries, etc.). I needed to ask this question since it has been something I've been awkward with in the past. It would be weird to just say something like : (The "protagonist" left and went to "place") since it would be too rushed and if I were to put too much detail into it, it wouldn't transition well and would end up diverting the reader's attention to something less important.

I also wanted to know the difference when doing something like this in first person and third person.

Tysm! >.<

D

Deleted member 54065

That helps with what POV my writing style would fit and how I could possibly use them both. Honestly, I wasn't really asking about the transition from First or Third person to the other even though that was advice that I didn't know I actually needed until I read it. My original question, to clarify, was : How you would have your protagonist and/or their group travel to different places(Cities, Countries, etc.). I needed to ask this question since it has been something I've been awkward with in the past. It would be weird to just say something like : (The "protagonist" left and went to "place") since it would be too rushed and if I were to put too much detail into it, it wouldn't transition well and would end up diverting the reader's attention to something less important.

I also wanted to know the difference when doing something like this in first person and third person.

Tysm! >.<
Ah for that, you really don't have to show every detail of their journey, or write 'the protagonist left' or 'protagonist went to this place'.

The technique is, you can just show them in another place. Either you can write their new journey on another chapter, or in another scene. The reader would automatically interpret that as their group having travelled from this place to another.

Take a look at the early parts of this chapter from my work.

If you'd notice, the characters, Lily and Mariya, went around the small town job hunting. I did not write, "Lily and Mariya left and went to this place.", rather, I only gave clues that each of their job hunting failed (they'd gone to at least 24 different locations, without me telling the reader each and every location they went to).

And of course, if it's a failure, an applicant won't remain in that place for long. This is an automatic event, so your readers will just interpret it as is...unless you got something else in mind.

In effective story-writing, an author oy gives clues and lets their readers form their own pictures or scenes in mind. Don't spoonfeed every information.

Btw, pardon my replies. It may take a while, since I'm in my baking class.

Another technique:

I only put three 'examples' in my writing to show what's happening.

For example, if I wrote: "The mob is angry."

Then I'll give three angry dialogues to support what I wrote.

"Fuck off!"

"Resign, you incompetent shit!"

"Kick him off the throne!"

Any more than that is excessive and contributes to slowing the pace of your work. This principle can also be applied in shifting locations.

Always remember: Show, don't tell.

If I may add: Show the important parts. Tell the not-so-important parts.

Show: I stomped my feet and glared at the crowd.

Tell: I got angry at the crowd.

The idea of both statements are the same. But, for example 1, I showed my actions, and the reader can interpret those as I'm angry.

For example 2, I just told the reader straight, I'm angry.

'Show' passages give excitement and feelings to the reader, while 'Tell' simply says what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
People have left a lot of good tips here. It may be overwhelming to tackle all those issues at once, so I'm going to leave you with this:
Carlo.jpg

Ophelia

Ah for that, you really don't have to show every detail of their journey, or write 'the protagonist left' or 'protagonist went to this place'.

The technique is, you can just show them in another place. Either you can write their new journey on another chapter, or in another scene. The reader would automatically interpret that as their group having travelled from this place to another.

Take a look at the early parts of this chapter from my work.

If you'd notice, the characters, Lily and Mariya, went around the small town job hunting. I did not write, "Lily and Mariya left and went to this place.", rather, I only gave clues that each of their job hunting failed (they'd gone to at least 24 different locations, without me telling the reader each and every location they went to).

And of course, if it's a failure, an applicant won't remain in that place for long. This is an automatic event, so your readers will just interpret it as is...unless you got something else in mind.

In effective story-writing, an author oy gives clues and lets their readers form their own pictures or scenes in mind. Don't spoonfeed every information.

Btw, pardon my replies. It may take a while, since I'm in my baking class.

Another technique:

I only put three 'examples' in my writing to show what's happening.

For example, if I wrote: "The mob is angry."

Then I'll give three angry dialogues to support what I wrote.

"Fuck off!"

"Resign, you incompetent shit!"

"Kick him off the throne!"

Any more than that is excessive and contributes to slowing the pace of your work. This principle can also be applied in shifting locations.

Always remember: Show, don't tell.

If I may add: Show the important parts. Tell the not-so-important parts.

Show: I stomped my feet and glared at the crowd.

Tell: I got angry at the crowd.

The idea of both statements are the same. But, for example 1, I showed my actions, and the reader can interpret those as I'm angry.

For example 2, I just told the reader straight, I'm angry.

'Show' passages give excitement and feelings to the reader, while 'Tell' simply says what's going on.
I see how you use ---------- to separate different sections, really explains a lot since as a reader, i usually skip over and not notice it.

D

Deleted member 54065

I see how you use ---------- to separate different sections, really explains a lot since as a reader, i usually skip over and not notice it.
Yeah, that line especially helps a lot in separating scenes in simple text UIs found in Syosetsu, Pixiv and WebNovel.

Ophelia

Didn't read that. I hated wish-fulfillment isekais.
errrr its not a wish fulfillment isekai tho...
But if you havent read it, it usually addresses him as he, him, or by his name.

Like for example :
Jin-woo wiped his nose with his fingers.

That would be third person right? Since it doesn't really say I? But what confuses me is the thoughts and narration I guess.

Actually, now that im thinking about it, this was a pretty dumb question since I kinda just figured it out on my own. Well, I think I get it now, I just need to practice and fix what I think looks weird. >.<

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

errrr its not a wish fulfillment isekai tho...
But if you havent read it, it usually addresses him as he, him, or by his name.

Like for example :
Jin-woo wiped his nose with his fingers.

That would be third person right? Since it doesn't really say I? But what confuses me is the thoughts and narration I guess.

Actually, now that im thinking about it, this was a pretty dumb question since I kinda just figured it out on my own. Well, I think I get it now, I just need to practice and fix what I think looks weird. >.<
Yeah, that's third person.

Ah, Korean...I don't like Korean fantasy stories. I mean, there's something in them that's heavy, and I don't like heavy stories.

Ophelia

Didn't read that. I hated wish-fulfillment isekais.
Would a story usually be mostly dialogue or narration? Because I wouldn't want to have some kind of massive conversation that goes on for thousands of words, nor would I want an entire essay of narration.

D

Deleted member 54065

Would a story usually be mostly dialogue or narration? Because I wouldn't want to have some kind of massive conversation that goes on for thousands of words, nor would I want an entire essay of narration.
Well, if you're going for a traditional English novel, you'd like to show more...meaning, you'd be narrating more than having your characters talk to each other.

On the other hand, JPN LNs and OELNs share the characteristics that lean towards dialogue-heavy narratives.

How about stories that has a single character most of the time? If you're going the JPN LN/OELN route, a 1st Person POV will serve you well, since it'll be a dialogue within himself.

As for me, I'm going the OELN route in my stories, hence the combination of 1st and 3rd Person POVs, with more focus on dialogues.

Ophelia

Well, if you're going for a traditional English novel, you'd like to show more...meaning, you'd be narrating more than having your characters talk to each other.

On the other hand, JPN LNs and OELNs share the characteristics that lean towards dialogue-heavy narratives.

How about stories that has a single character most of the time? If you're going the JPN LN/OELN route, a 1st Person POV will serve you well, since it'll be a dialogue within himself.

As for me, I'm going the OELN route in my stories, hence the combination of 1st and 3rd Person POVs, with more focus on dialogues.
A question that might seem a bit random, how do you usually decide what your protagonist's name is? It feels really hard since after I set it, there's no going back...

D

Deleted member 54065

A question that might seem a bit random, how do you usually decide what your protagonist's name is? It feels really hard since after I set it, there's no going back...
Haha! This is where it gets weird.

I just put the first name that appears in my head. I don't think too much about my characters' name, see? It feels awkward for me, having read stories with character names having relation to the narrative. I don't know...it's just unnatural.

I prefer having a character named Mike Hawk in a serious, non-smut isekai story than having an Inu Inukai guy as the MC of a story about dog girls.

Yeah, I prefer writing a good, logical story than waste my time thinking of names.

Ophelia

Haha! This is where it gets weird.

I just put the first name that appears in my head. I don't think too much about my characters' name, see? It feels awkward for me, having read stories with character names having relation to the narrative. I don't know...it's just unnatural.

I prefer having a character named Mike Hawk in a serious, non-smut isekai story than having an Inu Inukai guy as the MC of a story about dog girls.

Yeah, I prefer writing a good, logical story than waste my time thinking of names.
Welp time to wing it I guess :D