[New to writing & the site] Advice/Info about posting my first story here

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I mulled over where to ask for a bit.

I've read the FAQ as well as the Content Guidelines.

I've been a reader for a couple months, but I've never written and posted a story before.
And this is my first real experience with a site like this.

I am curious what things I might need to be aware of. It took me a lot of digging to even find the FAQ and content guidelines.
(Either I'm blind, or dumb, or there really isn't any links to the content guidelines aside from the FAQ and the FAQ is not linked anywhere either and you only see it if you hunt the forums?)

Anyway. I just want to make sure I don't accidently do anything wrong, in trying to post my first story.

I should also add I want to include a bit of "smut" but not an overwhelming amount. I mostly just want to have the freedom to portray anything.
I was reading one story, 'Demon Lord's Succubus' and the author mentioned something about being required to space out explicit scenes.
This got me a little worried. But the Content Guidelines seemed reasonable, but also a bit vague.

It also mentioned about content warnings, I want to make sure I know how to do that properly, and acceptably.

My first story is more about improving my writing than anything else. But I do want to try to actually make something interesting.

---------

I guess the TL:DR is I just want to write what I feel like and practice my writing but I'm a bit apprehensive because it's my first time using a site like this, and my first time writing on top of that. So I would like a little bit of knowledge on what's expected and what is ok and what isn't, if that makes any sense?

Thank you for your time.

D

Deleted member 29316

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I mulled over where to ask for a bit.

I've been a reader for a couple months, but I've never written and posted a story before.

I am curious what things I might need to be aware of. It took me a lot of digging to even find the FAQ and content guidelines.
(Either I'm blind, or dumb, or there really isn't any links to the content guidelines aside from the FAQ and the FAQ is not linked anywhere either and you only see it if you hunt the forums?)

Anyway. I just want to make sure I don't accidently do anything wrong, in trying to post my first story.

I should also add I want to include a bit of "smut" but not an overwhelming amount. I mostly just want to have the freedom to portray anything.
I was reading one story, 'Demon Lord's Succubus' and the author mentioned something about being required to space out explicit scenes.
This got me a little worried. But the Content Guidelines seemed reasonable, but also a bit vague.

It also mentioned about content warnings, I want to make sure I know how to do that properly, and acceptably.

My first story is more about improving my writing than anything else. But I do want to try to actually make something interesting.

---------

I guess the TL:DR is I just want to write what I feel like and practice my writing but I'm a bit apprehensive because it's my first time using a site like this, and my first time writing on top of that. So I would like a little bit of knowledge on what's expected and what is ok and what isn't, if that makes any sense?

Thank you for your time.
If you're going to practice your writing, then you're in luck. ScribbleHub denizens are usually chill and supportive to budding authors, compared to other sites (I'm looking at you, RoyalRoad). If you need help, you can always post here in the forums section, and someone would eventually lend a hand. Feel free to write whenever and whatever you like (as long as it follows the rules). Just don't be expectant about the reviews and comments...most readers here are of the 'silent'-type.

As for the smut, no need to worries if it's for 'a bit'. In fact, a lot of other stories here are too 'smutty' and it's still fine. As long as you don't do any 'forbidden' intercourse (like pedo-stuff), you'll be fine.

Also, I forgot to say...

Maids.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

---------

Thank you for your time.
That author may be a lying sack of shit then cuz the very first scene for one of my novels is literally a girl watching her brother have a threesome and masturbating to it, and it's pretty vividly written. Content dont matter much, long as there ain't no hardcore loli rape kinda stuff I would say

I only ever had trouble with explicit covers here. Like RL females showing skin. Apparently it's fine if you have anime girls in swimsuits showing off their tits and ass but do the same with a RL model for your cover and its a big no no. Its nonsensical bullshit but whatever

Freesia.Cutepearl

Thank you very much for the welcome Hans! Lovely picture! I appreciate the feedback from you both!

I got the feeling that author was maybe just trying to play it safe. It did make me want to try and search out and be extra sure of the 'rules' they spoke of first though. Like I said I'm either blind/dumb or they were just really hard to find!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
If you're going to practice your writing, then you're in luck. ScribbleHub denizens are usually chill and supportive to budding authors, compared to other sites (I'm looking at you, RoyalRoad). If you need help, you can always post here in the forums section, and someone would eventually lend a hand. Feel free to write whenever and whatever you like (as long as it follows the rules). Just don't be expectant about the reviews and comments...most readers here are of the 'silent'-type.

As for the smut, no need to worries if it's for 'a bit'. In fact, a lot of other stories here are too 'smutty' and it's still fine. As long as you don't do any 'forbidden' intercourse (like pedo-stuff), you'll be fine.

Also, I forgot to say...

View attachment 4303
How long have you been keeping the picture for occasions like this?

MasterHiatus

I am back
Hello there, I am supposed to be all reader's fear. I am Hiatus. Well about your problem, I was also reading the book you mentioned, and also that author's books and I say, it's alright as long as you have the content warning, you'll see it when you create your book.

And hey, I love new writers. Imma root for your new story.

Also, as mr. Hans said, all of us are chill. Just be careful of troll raters, they're the assholes of the community.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Thank you Hiatus and Hans. Hm.. that sounds like a business. "Brought to you by Hiatus & Hans, LLC, since 2020"

I did it. I posted the story, wrote the synopsis, a small forward, pasted and did a bit of editing on the Prologue. Pasted the First Chapter, did a tiny bit of editing, but feeling tired, so not much. I'll put Chapter 2 later. Gives me more time to write Chapter 3 aswell!

I hope this isn't against the rules[Advertising? idk]
(I glanced quickly but I'm tired now and blind and dumb at the best of times.)
But here is the name:

"The Compassion & Terror of Lilith Everhart"

You totally did the Snape thing, i love it.
I'll Snape your thing. :blob_evil:

Wait? What? I didn't say anything. :sweat_smile:

D

Deleted member 29316

Thank you Hiatus and Hans. Hm.. that sounds like a business. "Brought to you by Hiatus & Hans, LLC, since 2020"

I did it. I posted the story, wrote the synopsis, a small forward, pasted and did a bit of editing on the Prologue. Pasted the First Chapter, did a tiny bit of editing, but feeling tired, so not much. I'll put Chapter 2 later. Gives me more time to write Chapter 3 aswell!

But here is the name:

Will check it out once I'm done writing my chapters 😉

Edit: did you post just now? Couldn't find it yet.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Yeah I did, it'll need to be approved first, right? that takes.. I've seen different numbers, 12 hours, 24.. (48?/Couple Days? I forget).
Also I'll try to remember to check out the stories from everyone who replied to me!

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress

But here is the name:

Seems to be publicly available now, so here's a link to go along with it: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/183237/the-compassion-amp-terror-of-lilith-everhart/

(Also, there are no rules against advertising on the forum. You can even put an advert in your signature like many authors do.)

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
JUST DO IT

Seriously when I first made my chapter it was so bad I wanted to delete it, then I can't because I forgot the password to that account and it's there forever :P

But yeah, just go for it dude. The best way to practice writing is well, writing! Just keep writing and writing and you'll naturally pick some stuff up, little by little until when you go back to that first chapter and have the urge of closing your eyes at it and reedit them immediately than that's when you know you've improved as a writer xD

Freesia.Cutepearl

I did it! It's up! :blob_paint:

And I live in fear, wondering when the first negative review is going to come, hopefully it's constructive. :blob_dizzy:

I did get a comment, where someone was like, 'please don't do the xyz thing!' referencing one of the tags I put that hasn't happened yet.
While I was only planning to have it be minor, and not really affect the story, I felt that conflict for a second of.. change my plans or not?

I kind of buckled with a compromise of sorts. Replying to them that I apologize if it didn't suit their tastes, but that it should be relatively skippable, and that I could add content warnings or something. Which I've now done. I'm not sure about it, but it's not much extra work and if it could actually help people enjoy my work more, maybe it's fine?

I don't want to find myself bullied into changing my story though. I have a bit of a problem IRL of being too much of a pushover. I hope I can at least maintain my own world without bending to other's expectations.

I've seen other posts here and it seems a common problem. It's really hard, I think, but at the same time, if you change your story's direction, not for improvement, but just because of other's preferences, is it really your story anymore?

I do wonder, how you can walk that line when, improvement versus preference isn't so obvious.

I dunno, I'm just rambling at this point. Hope you have a good day, if you're reading this!

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I did it! It's up! :blob_paint:

And I live in fear, wondering when the first negative review is going to come, hopefully it's constructive. :blob_dizzy:

I did get a comment, where someone was like, 'please don't do the xyz thing!' referencing one of the tags I put that hasn't happened yet.
While I was only planning to have it be minor, and not really affect the story, I felt that conflict for a second of.. change my plans or not?

I kind of buckled with a compromise of sorts. Replying to them that I apologize if it didn't suit their tastes, but that it should be relatively skippable, and that I could add content warnings or something. Which I've now done. I'm not sure about it, but it's not much extra work and if it could actually help people enjoy my work more, maybe it's fine?

I don't want to find myself bullied into changing my story though. I have a bit of a problem IRL of being too much of a pushover. I hope I can at least maintain my own world without bending to other's expectations.

I've seen other posts here and it seems a common problem. It's really hard, I think, but at the same time, if you change your story's direction, not for improvement, but just because of other's preferences, is it really your story anymore?

I do wonder, how you can walk that line when, improvement versus preference isn't so obvious.

I dunno, I'm just rambling at this point. Hope you have a good day, if you're reading this!

*checks*

Aww, and that was what I was most looking forward to...

Yeah, don't worry and steam on right ahead. Even if some of your readers don't like a particular part of a story, other readers might love it to bits precisely because of that.

I know that some of the people who might end up reading my stories really hate harem, even if it's consentual polymory, but I'm still writing a story with that right now to suit my own tastes.
I also know that a lot of people hate the "dense protagonist" tag, but I had to use it for "The Heart is a Sea" because it reflected the protagonist's struggle to understand her sexuality and her relationship with her love interest.

In the end, you have to weigh up what you want for your story versus what a couple of readers prefer. Especially if you're just starting out and writing itself is a challenge - it's usually better to choose your own creative freedom over reader comments, if it's going to result in demotivation.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Aww, and that was what I was most looking forward to...
Yeah, don't worry and steam on right ahead. Even if some of your readers don't like a particular part of a story, other readers might love it to bits precisely because of that.
In the end, you have to weigh up what you want for your story versus what a couple of readers prefer. Especially if you're just starting out and writing itself is a challenge - it's usually better to choose your own creative freedom over reader comments, if it's going to result in demotivation.
Things can always change. Honestly I'm so early in I'm not really sure about much aside from some major world plot points I came up with and wrote down in notes. I also think I unconsciously scaled back on that "thing" I mentioned, after thinking about it more, I realized there was more than just what I had written in my comment I had thought about.

It's really difficult to not feel influenced but I really do want to try to stick to my ideals. At least when it comes to preference. Improvement, is a little different. But either way, I want to write my story, not someone else's. So hopefully I can avoid being influenced without realizing it.

Right now I'm actually as excited making my story as I've felt reading some others, as I'm discovering what happens too and it feels almost like reading a new story. Also the overarching plot points I've come up with kind of feel like that thing when a really big/cool/interesting thing happens in a story that makes you just feel like, "Woah", and someone you know is still catching up and you're all excited because you can't wait to see their reactions to it.

Edit: I should check out your Yuri help room sometime, Moonpearl. hehe

Last edited: