Not Just Another Brick In The Wall

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Prompt:
A teacher disrespects students and wastes their time with off-topic rants. One student talks to his parents, and they agree the teacher's behavior is too disruptive to the learning environment. They help their son set up an independent study plan for the topic. Their son forms a study group with some classmates who also want to drop the course. Word quietly spreads, and more students form their own study groups. The next time the teacher gives an annoying off-topic lecture, the entire class walks out.

Please feel free to deviate from the genders used to describe the characters in the prompt. The family structure is up to you as well. You may include additional characters if desired such as friends of the main character, siblings, school administrators, etc. Have fun with it!

You can just write stuff for fun in this thread or post an actual story and link it here.
If you'd like to join the contest version of this writing prompt on writing.com, here is the link:

K5Rakitan

Also, it was inspired by this thread:

Auratic

As a teacher on my 8th week of internship, I can tell you students absolutely would love to have a teacher that just wastes time before their next period. Most of the time, if they really like the subject, they will just come to you with questions and extra assignments. But if they're forced into the class by esoteric curriculum of the school, they're more than happy to just sit at the back and play poker.

Aaqil

Cookies!
As a teacher on my 8th week of internship, I can tell you students absolutely would love to have a teacher that just wastes time before their next period.
They'd like it if they had something to do, at first.

But if it kept happening, they will want a replacement, :blob_cookie:

K5Rakitan

As a teacher on my 8th week of internship, I can tell you students absolutely would love to have a teacher that just wastes time before their next period. Most of the time, if they really like the subject, they will just come to you with questions and extra assignments. But if they're forced into the class by esoteric curriculum of the school, they're more than happy to just sit at the back and play poker.
I'm not talking about a teacher who lets kids just sit at the back and play poker after they've already taught all they need to teach for the day. I'm talking about teachers who lecture students on topics such as "teenagers think they know everything" and respect while insisting that every single student looks towards the front of the room.

Auratic

They'd like it if they had something to do, at first.

But if it kept happening, they will want a replacement, :blob_cookie:
Well not on my classes, I usually give them a set goal to achieve in the class time and have it graded, and then give out the homework assignments. Which results in quite a bit of motivation to finish everything on time and start chipping away at their homework, for any leftovers are added ontop of their homework.
Few overachievers do finish everything, including the homework but most of the time that is an exception. But the very fact that "finishing everything on class including homework means more freetime later" is an option makes for good engagement regardless whether or not they manage to do it all in the period.

Zenkarn

"And that class is why shoe designs these days are stupid!" Mrs Harper snapped, as she pointed to a picture she'd hastily scrawled onto the white board.

David looked at her, really looked. This wasn't a fashion course, it was English lit. How they'd even gotten onto this topic was a mystery to him. With a slight turn of his head, he caught Vanessa's eye who nodded. With that he stood. The rest of his classmates following suit.

"The bell hasn't rung yet." Mrs Harper's shrill voice echoed around the suddenly quiet classroom. "Sit down this instant."

"No," David said, moving towards the door. "I'm going somewhere to study. You know like the rest of the class and I have been doing all semester. This is a waste of time."

He noticed the flabbergasted look on her face, but didn't stop his march out of the room. The rest of the class followed. With a slight sigh, he hoped the library would have a big enough room to house them in.

Last edited:

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Just sharing my story~
with off-topic rants
Aside from off-topic rants, there are also interesting off-topic stories. I have plenty of those. Most notable of them is the prof who kept on boasting his riches through his manicures or pedicures whatsoever. Which movie theater he went to this week? Which mall did he stroll and eat and stuff? Yeah, like that. It's his way of inspiring his student to get rich by graduating, I think?

Oh, I also have a prof that shares her embarrassing childhood stories/schemes. She's a totally fun person. What could I say? Not all rants are bad? Rants and stories are different, but you catch my drift, right?

There was this one time when our class are filming a short film about a student getting bullied. He's kind of black, yeah, it's a racist thing, getting thrown by papers and stuff. Then, a department head teacher of journalism suddenly came guns ablaze. Did he rant like for 5 seconds? Yep, he did. He kind of stopped midway after a student whispered to him "Sir, we are filming..." After that, the class commenced, and all the rants were forgotten.

The day after, we change our script to horror from drama. I don't know why? I wasn't informed even though I was the co-leader of the project. Ugh... it hurts.
That was totally on me, as I was still fooling around on editing stuff.