Looking for Artist Novel Cover Art

J_Chemist

Author Name: J_Chemist
Profession: Author

Preferred Art Style: Something more realistic/gritty. Not the silky smooth anime that's all over the place.

Story: The Blessed Child
Request:

• Looking to get two new cover artwork pieces done for my novel. The first requires some reworking and new text. The second doesn't have a cover at all.
  • For the first cover, I'm looking for something similar to what's already there; a young lad clad in adventuring gear overlooking a ravine/dark canyon. On one side of the canyon is a desert, the other side are mountains and greenery.
  • For the second cover, there are two elements required.
    • First: A large Tarantula spider lurking in the background, sort of overlooking the rest of the scene below.
    • Second; a pair of elven swords, a sword and shield, and a staff all set around a small campfire.
When contacting me, please provide previous artwork or a link to a digital portfolio. Be comfortable drawing weapons, armor, and anatomy. Be comfortable drawing a spider. I do not have a deadline so there is no rush for this to be completed. However, I would like to know an approximate timeline so I can know when I should be looking to hear from you. Progress pictures along the way would be nice but not required.

Payment will not be upfront. Partial payment (20%) will be sent as a sort of "down payment" to lock in the order. Once a sketch is complete, half payment will be sent. Full payment will be sent when the work is complete and delivery is made. I would prefer the payments on the Covers to be made separate. Once Cover 1 is complete, we'll work on Cover 2.

* Final delivery of images should be made in JPG format so I can upload them to SH, RR, and other places online. Please also include PNGs and a large/small size of the images so I can make sure they fit where they need to.

No AI art.

Feel free to ask questions here or in DMs. Thank you. :blobtaco:

Request Closed since SH is apparently full of professionals who are beyond the scope of my request. Thanks for y'all's interest and have a wonderful day. :blob_cookie:

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?
Aww, I wanted to try to make an ai art just to see if I could get close.

melchi

What is a custom title?
nemuswaifugen-aXR5KSksIG-2364070656.png

Here's one, trying to get grasslands only on one side is super hard though.

nemuswaifugen-aXR5KSksIG-3570016774.png

Last edited:

TakaBAE

Author Name: J_Chemist
Profession: Author

Preferred Art Style: Something more realistic/gritty. Not the silky smooth anime that's all over the place.

Story: The Blessed Child
Request:

• Looking to get two new cover artwork pieces done for my novel. The first requires some reworking and new text. The second doesn't have a cover at all.

• For the first cover, I'm looking for something similar to what's already there; a young lad clad in adventuring gear overlooking a ravine/dark canyon. On one side of the canyon is a desert, the other side are mountains and greenery.

• For the second cover, there are two elements required.
    • First: A large Tarantula spider lurking in the background, sort of overlooking the rest of the scene below.
    • Second; a pair of elven swords, a sword and shield, and a staff all set around a small campfire.
When contacting me, please provide previous artwork or a link to a digital portfolio. Be comfortable drawing weapons, armor, and anatomy. Be comfortable drawing a spider. I do not have a deadline so there is no rush for this to be completed. However, I would like to know an approximate timeline so I can know when I should be looking to hear from you. Progress pictures along the way would be nice but not required.

Payment will not be upfront. Partial payment (20%) will be sent as a sort of "down payment" to lock in the order. Once a sketch is complete, half payment will be sent. Full payment will be sent when the work is complete and delivery is made. I would prefer the payments on the Covers to be made separate. Once Cover 1 is complete, we'll work on Cover 2.

* Final delivery of images should be made in JPG format so I can upload them to SH, RR, and other places online. Please also include PNGs and a large/small size of the images so I can make sure they fit where they need to.

No AI art.

Feel free to ask questions here or in DMs. Thank you. :blobtaco:
I already see red flags in this request 💀 as a person who has drawn novel covers for a year, this really looks like a red flag ngl.
Welp goodluck on finding an artist that's willing to work on those conditions.

J_Chemist

I already see red flags in this request 💀 as a person who has drawn novel covers for a year, this really looks like a red flag ngl.
Welp goodluck on finding an artist that's willing to work on those conditions.
What makes it a red flag? The payment or the request itself?

TakaBAE

What makes it a red flag? The payment or the request itself?
The whole request itself, you are looking for an overqualified artist to work on a 20% upfront which is something most artists skip even myself, Even I take 50% as an upfront before beginning work. Second thing you are looking for anatomy and backgrounds which is really hard to get in the art community.
If I calculate the costs, this will roughly be around $750 total for both covers seeing the description, that's not including the novel cover one time costs, my final expectation from a professional artist to charge you would be $1000 or more.
You can look people on artstation, and other platforms. Scribble doesn't have many overqualified artists fairly speaking. I might be able to pull that off in like 5 months 💀 but even I can't guarantee results that great, so yea goodluck finding an artist.

J_Chemist

The whole request itself, you are looking for an overqualified artist to work on a 20% upfront which is something most artists skip even myself, Even I take 50% as an upfront before beginning work. Second thing you are looking for anatomy and backgrounds which is really hard to get in the art community.
If I calculate the costs, this will roughly be around $750 total for both covers seeing the description, that's not including the novel cover one time costs, my final expectation from a professional artist to charge you would be $1000 or more.
You can look people on artstation, and other platforms. Scribble doesn't have many overqualified artists fairly speaking. I might be able to pull that off in like 5 months 💀 but even I can't guarantee results that great, so yea goodluck finding an artist.
Thanks for actually explaining this time instead of saying "red flag" and then running off like a clown in the night, as if that was supposed to be useful in anyway.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Doing math, then 20% of $1000 as down payment would be $200, which is a lot for a sketch. But doing the whole rendering for only 50% is kinda risky.

J_Chemist

Doing math, then 20% of $1000 as down payment would be $200, which is a lot for a sketch. But doing the whole rendering for only 50% is kinda risky.
So it would be $200 to lock in the order/commit the art to the slot- a typical non-refundable expense. Once the sketch is done and the design complete (i.e; no changes would be made from this point on), then I'd pay $300 to bring it up to a $500 commitment. Leaving the other half upon delivery.

The idea is to ensure the art being made is actually what I'm looking for and that we're both on the same page. I'm not paying 50% for the consultation, just to get burned because the artist either can't deliver or something else goes wrong (i.e; ghosting).

But these numbers also assume the artist is top tier and/or capable of hitting all of the needs above. Which, after looking around, I might not get 'round these parts.

TakaBAE

So it would be $200 to lock in the order/commit the art to the slot- a typical non-refundable expense. Once the sketch is done and the design complete (i.e; no changes would be made from this point on), then I'd pay $300 to bring it up to a $500 commitment. Leaving the other half upon delivery.

The idea is to ensure the art being made is actually what I'm looking for and that we're both on the same page. I'm not paying 50% for the consultation, just to get burned because the artist either can't deliver or something else goes wrong (i.e; ghosting).

But these numbers also assume the artist is top tier and/or capable of hitting all of the needs above. Which, after looking around, I might not get 'round these parts.
I'll let you be here, I don't wanna get too involved in this it's just that if you want an artist to work on that condition I would be surprised 💀 This was the highest offer I had and the client was ready to pay $3000 upfront which is 50% of the total, $6000 base for comic book completion and 1k bonus for comic deadline.
50% is usually what goes, even in the higher ups of comics and manga. It's the same for illustrations yet illustrations do need to be paid in full or half.
Goodluck on getting an artist that agrees on your terms.

Ah also, I had a client like that before, he first ordered the sketch and paid the sketch amount of $35. Then continued with a full payment of $230 for the rendering.
This is also a tactic you can do in covers, you must be ready to invest into. Also make sure the artist is legit and has clients before so he/she can't ghost you.
Try to find someone and just hear their tos out first, before you even put your tos for the commission. Business is business, I've been there for 3 years there myself, lost $300+ to scams who got my artwork for free cause they promised to pay later. Don't be like me, do background research before you invest.
I just draw my own covers so I'm fine, 🧐. Goodbye!

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_193513.jpg
    IMG_20230820_193513.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

J_Chemist

I'll let you be here, I don't wanna get too involved in this it's just that if you want an artist to work on that condition I would be surprised 💀 This was the highest offer I had and the client was ready to pay $3000 upfront which is 50% of the total, $6000 base for comic book completion and 1k bonus for comic deadline.
50% is usually what goes, even in the higher ups of comics and manga. It's the same for illustrations yet illustrations do need to be paid in full or half.
Goodluck on getting an artist that agrees on your terms.
This went from you shitting on a thread without providing any basis for your clownery aside from wanting to tickle yourself, to and being given the opportunity to provide helpful information to someone and toeing the line between helpful and pompous, to then providing something literally no one asked for.

What a ride. Got anything else, Mr. Professional? Or can I ask to lock the thread since I'll be looking somewhere else rather than try to provide funds to artists around here? :blob_popcorn: Thought I'd ask since you're feeling yourself.

TakaBAE

This went from you shitting on a thread without providing any basis for your clownery aside from wanting to tickle yourself, to and being given the opportunity to provide helpful information to someone and toeing the line between helpful and pompous, to then providing something literally no one asked for.

What a ride. Got anything else, Mr. Professional? Or can I ask to lock the thread since I'll be looking somewhere else rather than try to provide funds to artists around here? :blob_popcorn: Thought I'd ask since you're feeling yourself.
Nah I'm letting you know 50% or full is usually what goes. 🤧 that's pretty much it.
I've given you info as well on how commissions and stuff work so idk what you gonna think.