Novel cover ;^;

SkippyForfex

So I'm a pretty good artist [At least I think I am:sweating_profusely: ], and I'm capable of both digital and traditional art.

But I don't have the proper gadgets for creating digital art. If I want to make digital art, I use my small phone and my finger, so my digital art is basically trash. What I'm really good at is traditional art. Painting or anything.

I see many people making digital art for their novel covers. I don't want to be the type of person who steals other people's art for my novel. So I was thinking of putting up a painting as my novel cover. [I'm concerned because I have not seen anyone else do this.]

Sooooo what do you think I should do? Go with it or just leave the cover blank? :blob_no:
Wait should this even be posted here? Oh no I'm confusion

ACertainPassingUser

Buy iPad and Apple pencil.

Drawing in iPad is very engaging and interactive while still quite compatible with people who drew in paper.

You can also buy "Paper-like screen protector" to make the screen felt like paper when you're drawing with apple pencil.

Ofc there's Wacom, Huion and XP pen that were cheaper and bigger. But they need to be connected to PC/Mac, which is another hassle for casuals.

iPad with apple pencil is more simple as a whole.

D

Deleted member 54065

I remembered before I discovered graphic pen tablets, I use desktop mouse to color my works, which are actually drawn by hand and scanned.

Pen tablets are pricey in my country, so I have to content myself with whatever I got to create my covers...until I saved up to buy a Wacom Intuos.

Also, I've seen authors-illustrators create artwork manually then take a picture for digital copy. Most of the time it's a temporary measure, but one can always opt a traditionally-drawn, phone camera-made image for covers.

SkippyForfex

Buy iPad and Apple pencil.

Drawing in iPad is very engaging and interactive while still quite compatible with people who drew in paper.

You can also buy "Paper-like screen protector" to make the screen felt like paper when you're drawing with apple pencil.

Ofc there's Wacom, Huion and XP pen that were cheaper and bigger. But they need to be connected to PC/Mac, which is another hassle for casuals.

iPad with apple pencil is more simple as a whole.
*cries in broke*

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
Sooooo what do you think I should do?
Paint it, then scan it
if no scanner, go to public library, depend on country may have scanner
if no scanner, use phone, get scanning app

With scanned art, do typesetting.

if have computer use, gimp or inkscape

If no computer, use free computer at library and use browser based editing software. like canva

SkippyForfex

I remembered before I discovered graphic pen tablets, I use desktop mouse to color my works, which are actually drawn by hand and scanned.

Pen tablets are pricey in my country, so I have to content myself with whatever I got to create my covers...until I saved up to buy a Wacom Intuos.

Also, I've seen authors-illustrators create artwork manually then take a picture for digital copy. Most of the time it's a temporary measure, but one can always opt a traditionally-drawn, phone camera-made image for covers.
Well let's hope I'm also good at photography then

D

Deleted member 54065

This cover, by the way, is from my manga Paulina Rex. Made in 2019, I only used colored ballpens and watercolors for colors. I scanned it using a Brother scanner, and tweak the colors (oversaturated) using Photoshop (which can also be achieved via phone apps).

Volume 1 Cover (No Text 80).jpg

SkippyForfex

Paint it, then scan it
if no scanner, go to public library, depend on country may have scanner
if no scanner, use phone, get scanning app

With scanned art, do typesetting.

if have computer use, gimp or inkscape

If no computer, use free computer at library and use browser based editing software. like canva
Oh my that's perfect. I have a scanner and a computer. Thank youuuu <3

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
If you want to dip your toes into digital art while being broke, you can try one of em non-display drawing tablets. Last I checked, one of xp-pen's was going for 20 dollars. You can even get it cheaper too if you wait for sales

proxybaba

use websites and apps like befunky and convert your art in digital painting, then for typesetting use canva and voila you have a good cover, since I am very weak in making landscapes in iPad (and good at making portraits) I created the landscape in painting, scan it in editing apps(paid) and made my very first cover of Elven Lies I in my sig.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Nice. I think its not necessary to have digital art. For covers its very subjective. You can definitely do it. What the harm in trying. I do grafite pencil art and im doing one cover for my upcoming horror novel. It could definitely work.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
There are so many trad artists that post online and it looks dope, just need to know how to take good photo of it.

Noel_Elitia

I can say one thing people like creativity and hard work. So, do what you like. Don't worry about others.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So I'm a pretty good artist [At least I think I am:sweating_profusely: ], and I'm capable of both digital and traditional art.

But I don't have the proper gadgets for creating digital art. If I want to make digital art, I use my small phone and my finger, so my digital art is basically trash. What I'm really good at is traditional art. Painting or anything.

I see many people making digital art for their novel covers. I don't want to be the type of person who steals other people's art for my novel. So I was thinking of putting up a painting as my novel cover. [I'm concerned because I have not seen anyone else do this.]

Sooooo what do you think I should do? Go with it or just leave the cover blank? :blob_no:
Wait should this even be posted here? Oh no I'm confusion
Post examples of your art