Nvm lmao

• Thread starter Deleted member 42008
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42008

so since people are sharing their concerns about copyrights (rightfully so) about photos and art, I’ve just decided to delete the post entirely. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

WtfIsThis

I must say that you are really good ! If on my novel, one day, I end up posting over 100k words I would request a cover ! I don't like bother people when I am not sure it worth it. And it would surprise me if I write over 100k word.
Ps : don't reply and just ignore my comment. I always die in shame when someone reply to this type of comment I sometimes post. Idk why. For example, before clicking on the button "Post reply", I hesitated a lot.

OvidLemma

Those are some nice-looking covers! I usually make my own covers, so I don't need one, but I have got a question that I imagine most authors will want to know: what are the usage rights on your covers? Are they made with license-free clip art or are licensing and rights something that the author will have to worry about if/when they publish the story elsewhere?

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
what are the usage rights on your covers? Are they made with license-free clip art or are licensing and rights something that the author will have to worry about if/when they publish the story elsewhere?
Exactly my words. This covers look amazing and pretty much like what I would want for my third story (which will still take a while until it is ready to be released), but that are important questions.

Also a link to your novel would be helpfull, since the accounts on the forum are not linked with the main page. Saves some searching time.

D

Deleted member 42008

Yeah, it's fine without naked people. I like the silhouette thing I have going, but I'm open to something different.
Hmm yeah, I feel like I could work with that. I'll try and see if I can find anything and if not, I'll let you know! I'll send you a message on scribblehub once I finish it! <3

IvyVeritas

Well I usually emphasize that the art used in my book isn’t mine 😅 so maybe just giving a heads up before publishing? But I feel like that’s only if it’s art, like for example the cover for Murphy’s Law, I placed a notice at the very bottom of the chapter titled Foreword that just states that none the art is mine and all credit goes to the rightful artist but I do edit them myself. But if it’s like photos then I feel like it’s free real estate lol

What do you mean by this? Are you saying you don't have any rights or permission to use the images on those covers? If so, that's ... not cool. It's important to either use free stock image sites or get a subscription to shutterstock or a similar service, particularly if you plan to design covers for other people. Images (including photos) fall under copyright laws just as stories do.

D

Deleted member 42008

What do you mean by this? Are you saying you don't have any rights or permission to use the images on those covers? If so, that's ... not cool. It's important to either use free stock image sites or get a subscription to shutterstock or a similar service, particularly if you plan to design covers for other people. Images (including photos) fall under copyright laws just as stories do.
Well, it's just that I usually find my photos on Pinterest, so I'm not entirely sure how that works... and I'm not saying I'm stealing them because by no means is that ever okay! I just come from Wattpad where hundreds of people use Pinterest for their book covers. I guess I just don't know any better. But who would ask in that site if I could use their photos? And I feel like not everyone can afford to purchase images, especially during these hard times. I didn't mean to offend anyone by this... if it's a problem I can delete the post.

IvyVeritas

Well, it's just that I usually find my photos on Pinterest, so I'm not entirely sure how that works... and I'm not saying I'm stealing them because by no means is that ever okay! I just come from Wattpad where hundreds of people use Pinterest for their book covers. I guess I just don't know any better. But who would ask in that site if I could use their photos? And I feel like not everyone can afford to purchase images, especially during these hard times. I didn't mean to offend anyone by this... if it's a problem I can delete the post.

On Pinterest, if the original artist is posting their own images, you can just ask them. Some might be willing to allow free use, but others won't.

If the person posting the image isn't the original artist, then there's no point in contacting the poster.

If you can't afford a shutterstock subscription, there are free stock images sites (by which I mean, no cost, and you are allowed to use the images in your own work), but I haven't used those sites, so I can't make any particular recommendations. I'd say just google it and see what you can find. Be sure to read the fine print of any usage agreements.

The agency that designs my covers uses a mix of Shutterstock images and 3D models (plus their own work on top of that). My covers are licensed for unlimited electronic distribution and something like 400,000 (?) print copies. Any author requesting a cover will need to know that information.

I hope this helps!

D

Deleted member 42008

On Pinterest, if the original artist is posting their own images, you can just ask them. Some might be willing to allow free use, but others won't.

If the person posting the image isn't the original artist, then there's no point in contacting the poster.

If you can't afford a shutterstock subscription, there are free stock images sites (by which I mean, no cost, and you are allowed to use the images in your own work), but I haven't used those sites, so I can't make any particular recommendations. I'd say just google it and see what you can find. Be sure to read the fine print of any usage agreements.

The agency that designs my covers uses a mix of Shutterstock images and 3D models (plus their own work on top of that). My covers are licensed for unlimited electronic distribution and something like 400,000 (?) print copies. Any author requesting a cover will need to know that information.

I hope this helps!
Yeah, I looked up the artist who drew my cover and asked if I could use it. Now I'll just wait for their answer! But from now on, I'll do my research before using photos and artwork.

D

Deleted member 42008

That's great!

I hope you know, I'm not saying any of this to discourage you. On the contrary, I think you should continue your work. It's just important to go through the proper channels.
Yeah, of course, I totally agree! I believe that no one should ever steal anyone's work of any kind. And artists need just as much profit as writers do, so I understand your concern. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.